Pavers Shoes
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Pavers Shoes Employee Reviews

United Kingdom204 reviews

Enjoyed my time with Pavers ... but...

Overall, my time with Pavers has been enjoyable. The customer service part of this role is where I excelled and received some good feedback from customers.The company is very target driven, with add ons and accessories targets. Unfortunately this over shadows the most important part of meeting the customers needs and making sure they leave happy with a suitable purchase and want to return. I found the goal posts moved during my 6 month probation, and the targets became the most important part of the role, but to me it's always the customer. I was disappointed that it didn't work out but glad I had the opportunity.

Pros

Great store, Lovely staff, Customers, Good wage, Easy to travel to store

Cons

Sales Targets / Add ons, Morale could be low, Some training was insufficient, No scope to work more hours, apart from occasional holiday cover.

Brilliant company to work for

I am new to the business and am thoroughly enjoying my role. I find the people warm and friendly; the management helpful and considerate. The work is fast paced which is expected in a company growing so fast; there’s never a dull moment and I am excited for the future at Pavers

Insights into Pavers Shoes

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Productive and fun place to work

Started off recently but I'm enjoying it so far. People are nice, everyone helps each other. Great management good wages, fast paced. Can't complain as I started two weeks ago but i do enjoy working there.

Pros

Great management Good place to work Nice people

Cons

Under valued and under paid

This is a terrible company to work for. They have shift patterns with no shift allowance. Compulsory work on bank holidays with no extra pay beneifits. No sick pay at all...even for Covid, cancer, broken limbs. The company furloughed staff during the pandemic and then tried to take holidays off them when they came back to work!There is very little job security and many staff are agency workers. Agency staff get better shift patterns and pay beneifits than permanent full time staff. Rewarding loyalty is not in the handbook it would appear.

Would not recommend

You'll be asked to work 4hrs shifts at a time and offered a ridiculous contract such as 8hrs per week, overtime will be constant though because people quit all the time. However, once they don't need you to do overtime you will be expected to survive off 8hrs per week. Management is different depending on branch but my branch did not have a professional manager, talking badly about all employees behind their backs, passive-aggressive notes left for employees and manager not really working with a team and more hiding in the backroom.KPIs are unreasonable and management and upper management does not listen to the employees and only blames them for not selling enough overpriced products.I do not recommend working there unless you like to be in constant stress. You will also be scheduled 6 days a week if the manager needs you to, you will not receive any information if the rota was changed and you're expected to constantly check it, rota will also not be scheduled in advance, more like 1-2 days before and you can't say you're unavailable.The only good part was nice co-workers.

Pros

Nice coworkers, discount

Cons

Bad management, constant stress

Pavers is a good place to work. You meet different people every day and have different experiences with each one. Colleague morale is really good. Gives you confidence in your abilities.

Pros

Discount

Cons

None really. Its retail.

Great work culture

Lots to learn but a very supportive forward thinking family company. Your opinions matter and are heard. Great opportunities to learn and progress within the company.

Family run company that has lost its values

worked 6 days most weeks The promise of a weekend off a month rarely happened as if your short staffed as manager you are expected to go inVery little support from higher management and all about if your face fits Very clicky environment The pay does not reflect the effort put in and managers do not get paid what is advertisedOnce I wasn't needed to be used for 6 day weeks Was made to feel incapable despite the hours and work I put in ,by a new area manager when the previous one had no issues atall. And customer feedback of how much better the shop is and the fact we had won area awards count for nothingDays off you will always get texts or phonecalls and even on booked time off expected to go in if someone doesn't. The pay and attitude does not reflect the workload atall like being in a school not work The company I started with on paper sounds great bit that is not the reality of the job

Pros

Discount

Cons

Bullying culture and hr and undertrained and not interested overtime unpaid no work life balance

Brilliant collegues but stressful environment

Only been here a few weeks as a supervisor. Staff and management pleasant and friendly. Stressful because of unrealistic targets both individual and team. As stated from employees before the majority of our customers are elderly and do not have emails. How can you sell Mbox to people buying sandals and slippers. Not all products are suitable. This is not taken into account. As a Pavers shoe wearer I am disappointed in what I thought would be my perfect job and I have decided to leave.

Place is evolving

The warehouse is currently evolvingPay minimum the money being invested, job security is there.Work weekendsSome managers need better training.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Work weekends. Pays not great

Horrible management

Miserable work environment , Management is patronising. Couldn’t care less about employees. Will put hours down on the rota for overtime even if made clear you are not able to work without letting you know.

Pros

N/a

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback. We do encourage people across the business to have conversations with their line manager if they have any issues so these can be resolved.

Unrealistic and stressful

The company is now pushing and pushing for every customer to receive the newsletter via email so thats the new pavers kpi hourly target pressure to apply to the staff. A pavers customers is predominately older and a lot do not have an email address but no, thats not an excuse not to reach your individual target!!??? The stress levels and completely unrealistic individual targets put onto staff who are paid a few pence over minimum wage is utterly crazy. If you work for pavers you WILL be individually heavily targeted on selling shoecare, handbags, accessories, email sign ups and a list as long as your arm of a mystery shopper criterial list to achieve….but you will never get praised. Ever. It is relentless. You have been warned.

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback. As as in most retail settings, we have targets to ensure the success of the business. We have robust training material and programmes to support our colleagues to achieve their targets.

hard job

if your not a favourite by the management its hard work. very competitive and negative to achieve the targets they set out, if you reach your data capture and shoe care you get told off for not reaching your accessories sales etc, never truly praised. salary difference between the ages is bad, the company policies and procedures also were revealed to be shocking.

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback. We believe our policies and processes are strong as we regularly benchmark these against other similar sized retailers however we will take your comments into account.

Stress

It's a lot of work, all the time, if you're not at 120% and increasing from first thing to the end of your shift you'll never make it and be constantly bombarded with inane conversation about shoe care and newsletter data capture. It would also make all our lives easier if things on preorder were clearer, if ordering from another store was actually not doing it the slowest way possible and the amount of "lost in transit" stock was actually tracked we'd have a lot more happy customers rather than 2 weeks and still nothing for the customer, super hard to get them on your side when upselling shoe care and email newsletters if you can't even get a customer order out to the customer, which I don't understand considering the amount I did in the quickest time I possible every time and yet other stores just left them on the "to do" pile for weeks, frustrating company through and through. Also, quality has dropped considerably just to make it even harder, protector spray makes the soles of plastic shoes fall off even faster, come on guys!

Pros

Met some nice employees that made it not entirely suck

Cons

Long hours, small breaks, poor quality, lack of care

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve service to our customers and I can assure you your feedback has been shared with the relevant teams. Our 'Ask The Boss' process is a great way of getting your feedback directly to the business.

Not the best place to work

Enjoyed it to begin with, then I noticed a lot of flaws. It became negative very fast, they expect you to do lots of overtime even though during the interview process it isn’t necessary, however I was working at least 12 hours extra a week. Management definitely have favourites and it’s hard if you are not one of them

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback, we are pleased you had an enjoyable start to working for Pavers. The last 24 months have been challenging with absence from recruitment point of view and we have been grateful for colleagues supporting with additional flexibility.

Good place to workFaced paced environmentGood discounts

So far I have gained many valuable transferable skills while working at Pavers. I enjoy the work environment and interacting with customers, although some can be rude but that is just what you get with retail.

Pros

Varied duties, good discounts, nice work environment

Cons

Hours not consistent, holidays aren't pro rata, some rude customers

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback, it's great to know you enjoy your job so much.

Great company let down by poor management

The job itself is enjoyable and the company is a good company to work for. The reason I only give 1 star is because I can only comment on my experience at the store I worked and it was miserable. Unfortunately store management go out of their way to spoil what could be a great place to work. Holidays are frowned upon and declined, praise is overlooked and critisism prioritised. Targets are pushed so hard that what should be a pleasant shift becomes very draining and stressful and even if you do hit targets you are lucky to get any sort of bonus. Management however will get 4 figures for all YOUR hard work. Multiple colleagues left during my time for the same reason as myself. You have been warned.

Pros

Nice colleagues, reliable shift pattern

Cons

Bad management

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback and we are pleased that you have a reliable shift pattern and enjoy working with your colleagues. We do encourage people across the business to have conversations with their line manager if they have any issues so these can be resolved.

There are always something new to learn within various roles. Progression is encouraged throughout the business through various role types.

I started my role at pavers at 16 years old, where I was a part time sales associate. This was my first job in retail, so it was all new to me. I had lots of help with learning new skills. I then started working full time in the same store, where my manager taught me more about the daily tasks, and what was expected of me as a full time employee. My manager wanted me to progress, as she felt I had the capability to take on more responsibilities and succeed in my career at Pavers. This is when I was promoted to supervisor, I had lots of opportunities thrown my way, for example the chance to work in other stores where I got to meet new people, or even open up new stores/refits where I began to build on my skills that I had already got. I am now 24 and working at the Pavers Head office as an assistant Merchandiser, which is a completely different work environment to what I first started out. The opportunity for progression in Pavers is really good, and there are always new jobs and roles due to the business expanding.

Pros

Progression is encouraged Family values

Cons

Pay in shops could increase

11 May 2022
Thank you for the feedback, it's great to know you enjoy your job so much and have been able to progress within the business.

Not very nice for a young person

Wasn’t a very nice experience for me felt like because I was new and the youngest they all looked down to me Got competitive at times with the keeping score of how much shoe care you sold and if you didn’t sell as much you got a speaking to from the manager Not fair you only got ur age minimum wage when you do the same as everybody else and everyone was palming there jobs on to you They say they do training on the job but they don’t they claim they’re “busy” at the moment and just expect you to learn everything right there and then The older staff seem to be very stuck up and dont seem to like new young people joining and seem to palm all there tasks on you If you apply for a job wich is only part time they take the p*ss and put u on so much over time u basically work full time and can’t say anything about it

Pros

Discount nothing else

Cons

Long hours Always over time

Do not apply if you have a family

Very strict with having time off with family or ill, they prefer to employ people over 45 with less home commitments. Long hours without a break. No training given then they extend probation periods. No communication what so ever. Constantly push targets even if you trying.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Not family oriented, no breaks

3 December 2021
Thank you for taking time to review your time with Pavers. We do organise our stores with shift patterns from 4 hours onwards, any shift over 6 hours does include a 6 hour unpaid break. All employees are subject to a six month probation review and this is extended vary rarely, either due to lockdown or change of management in store, this is to ensure we can fully train and review staff to support them achieving their KPI's. Pavers is still a family business and we encourage diversity and inclusion in all our stores. All employees after six months service can apply for a flexible working request to support their work life balance. We are currently in the process of rolling out the Pavers Academy to support all our employees on their chosen career path and offer all employees incentives to move to work in Head Office. Finally thank you again for taking the time to leave a review and we wish you all the best for the future.

Friendly & helpful encouraging team members.

Such friendly informative staff & management. They boost you’re confidence in learning & growing. We all help each other out and nothing is too much trouble for our customers. We go that one step further. A lovely team who all get on very well with each other.

Pros

Company discounts

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really pleased to hear you are having a positive experience working for us, we hope this continues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pavers Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement