PDSA

PDSA Employee Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the PDSA and they gave me the determination to become A Dairy Farmer. I experienced what it’s like to be a vet and still to this day I use the knowledge from the PDSA and the care and the passion to care for not only cows but all animals!! Thank you PDSA stoke-on-Trent
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
The ethos of the charity is amazing but their are serious issues with bad senior leaders decisions that are putting the charity at risk. Constant threats of restructures, redundancies and favouritism. Serious moral issues following last years restructure in the name of Covid. People with many years service and experience disposed of without a second thought.
Pros
The cause
Cons
Bad leadership
The management does not care about the shop staff or volunteers just the profits. If lucky your manager will be your care and security but higher up management only promise care and keeping you safe but do not follow through. You will always be expected to step in and cover no matter the situation and may spend months doing a two person role with no support or extra pay. Even if you are in actual danger all you get is an offer to step back which leaves you with no income. Problems are often left to escalate so that any solution than becomes ineffective.
Pros
Volunteers make it a second home
Cons
Low pay, high demands, lots of targets with little to no support
I loved my role as a vca, I worked in the busiest hospital in Kirkdale and it was a very fast paced but exciting place to train. I got on with the vets really well and some of the nurses and other vcas were really friendly and will probably be lifelong friends, but some made my life awful there and is one of the reasons I left. Bullying did go on there and though I complained multiple times and it wasn't just aimed at me, several people were often in tears or wanting to avoid work and yet nothing was done. In my current job in a school, this would not be acceptable behavior. Other practices maybe different and there were a lot of pros to working there and very few cons. Money is not great but it is competitive for the role.
Pros
The animals, the variation, some really good team members
Cons
Hard physical work, low but competitive pay for the role. Bullying colleague's
The job was quite repetitive but easy enough. The main reason I left the company was due to the toxic behaviour of staff. There’s was a lot of back stabbing, and unnecessary gossiping about staff members when they’d leave the room. Team leader was unprofessional, if the manager was away she’d tell us to have 2 hour lunch breaks and let us leave half an hour early. If you didn’t want to sit with the longest serving members of staff for lunch and you wanted to go out and grab food or get fresh air, then expect to be spoken about or shunned for not spending a whole hour at lunch with them repeating the same conversations everyday. Don’t tell your team leader anything personal as they’ll tell the whole office before the day has ended. The pay was awful and if you want to progress you can’t because there’s two people who have been there longer so they automatically get promotions and make it clear if you even attempt to go for a promotion then you are a bad person and you’ll will be spoken about EXTENSIVELY.Also, not a very diverse environment and people in charge of hiring made it clear that wouldn’t be changing any time soon.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Horrible toxic environment, bad pay
Great team great work ethic focussed on raising vital funds for pets in need of vets. Management all helpful and pull together to get a job done. All work well together for a common cause. People go above and beyond in their working day in order to fulfil the daily tasks. Great charity to work for. Shame redundancy was the option I was faced with. Would definitely work here again.
Pros
Cover at other shops paid for
Cons
End of year stock take
I worked for the pdsa for 23 years and still think the actual charity is amazing a bit like the nhs for pets however im sure maria dickins would be turning in her grave if she was able to see how badly it was being run by idiots with big wages that do very little and who are running the charity into the ground.Staff are under a lot of pressure with very little or no help and expected to work wonders .Staff and volunteers are treated very badly and given no respect whatsoever, its disgraceful. After years of loyal service from myself , staff and volunteers we were made redundant 2 weeks into lockdown .No contact just p45 in the post , told not to tell my volunteers as they wanted to but they are still waiting to hear from them so lucky i got another job and took them all with me .
Pros
Raising money for animals
Cons
Very badly run
Overall I have had a very pleasant experience working at the PDSA. I can safely say I have never felt so welcomed into a group of colleagues than I had here. Very supportive of one another and very much a team based working environment.Anyone taking on this role must be able to cope with emotionally stressful situations as owners can become very distressed due to unwell pets ect. This job is not for the faint hearted but is extremely rewarding knowing you have done your part in the journey of making an animal better. Would recommend for anyone looking for a part time job and is flexible with their hours.
Pros
Working alongside an amazing team, Rewarding, Chance for growth
Cons
Fast paced, Emotional, some demanding clients
Manager was confrontational and regularly belittled staff. Very badly managed however the cause is amazing and there are some lovely people to work along side.
Pros
Seeing animals
Cons
Manager
The same person works on the till cos she has been there a long time, I went for 8 weeks and in that time I spent 20 minutes on till most of the time I was tidying up clothes or sorting stock out upstairs if you want to gain new skills go elsewhere.
Pros
Free drinks.
Cons
Repeptive work.
The staff here are very friendly, and they don’t give you too much work to do. I only worked here for an about an hour a day maybe some more on some occasions. But it wasn’t too crowded, and was a lovely environment to work in.
I worked hard for the company for 5 years until they brought in a clause they wanted to put into our contracts saying they are able to cut our hours, close the shop whenever they wanted and we had to accept it. So they could say, oh we only want you open 2 days next week, and nothing the week after, and there is nothing you can do, apart from not get paid!
Pros
Working for an animal charity is an amazing thing to do
Cons
Working a nine hr day 5 days a week but only getting paid 7hrs
Fast paced, stressful but this is usual for this type of job as we know. If you have s good team around you ,is rewarding and can be fun. Never time to get bored.
Pros
Day goes quick, get to cuddle lots of animals!
Cons
Long hours on your feet!
Good loves working here everyone was so nice and friendly and really made great friends and loved every minute of it and they really do all they can for the company and put the blood sweat and tears into everything they do
I spent most of my time on the floor on my own but whenever i needed help it was always available for me and I would always be calmed down and gotten along with all other people
I enjoy working there.. The reason for one star for salary is because I had a volunteer position and didn't get paid. I wish I did.. Otherwise would have stayed longer
Pros
Meeting new people and making new friendsand experience
Cons
No pay as volunteer
Such a busy, stressful place to work, although Head office would have you believe everything is calm and relaxed it isn’t in the hospitals, pure pressure and stress.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Forgotten by HO
The most rewarding job I've ever done. First job I did since moving back to the Uk. I needed to get my confidence back and needed work experience this was the best decision I ever did. The staff were lovely. My boss was amazing and always helpful, supportive and friendly. I got on with all of the staff what a lovely bunch. Will always remember my time working there. Highly recommended 👌 🥰
Pros
Got my confidence back. Helped me find a paid job.
Cons
There aren't any.
Since working for pdsa I have found them to be an extremely fair employer they show outstanding support to they’re employees and we are seriously part of a family raising money for an amazing cause a pleasure to work for
Pros
Fresh challenges, amazing cause
Cons
Non
It was a fun and hardworking environment I learnt a bunch of skills such as how to use the till The hardest part was where certain things go and remembering it The people were nice and friendly
Pros
the environment was good
Cons
No cons it was all good
Working at PDSA for me was a roller coaster ride and I personally had a good team around me both as colleagues and management. The biggest problem I personally came across was that no matter how hard the Marketing team tried to move the charity forward, the top level management return the culture to the way it has always been. It suffers very badly of siloism I worked there for 7 years before being made redundant, despite that I was happy there.
Pros
Hours and Wages are good
Cons
High turnover of staff and internal culture isn't great.
  1. Employee reviews