PDSA
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

PDSA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom730 reviews

Just basic

Ups and downs but just interested in the money taking and achieving targets, pushing sales and up pricing that is not realistic. Weekends to work aswell as week days

Cons

kind and accepting managers , who are helpful and emotionally intelligent

kind and accepting managers , who are helpful and emotionally intelligent.... and a strong ethos and purpose in the shops I have seen

Insights into PDSA

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Loved working here

I loved working at PDSA, and would strongly recommend as an employer.The volunteers and team around me was second to none, and would do anything for myself and the company.The company always puts your family first, and ensures you are OK if struggling.You can run the shop as your own, without all the fuss you would receive from other retailing companies.The pay structure and holiday entitlement is above most companies.It's great to see they promote within the company of those that have worked for it, and watch volunteers and assistant Managers progress.Only reason for leaving, they did not have a shop where I am moving to.I will miss them, and wish them all the best for the future and the fantastic work they do 🥰

Great place to gain retail experience

My first experience of voluntary work. Management are very supportive and helpful. Great team to work with. Travel expenses are paid.I have a regular shift but flexible if I need to change it.

Friendly, productive

Amazing place to work, you leave work with a sense of achievement. You need to have thick skin with the clients and be able to show empathy. Overall, very fulfilling role. So much that I left due to relocating and found another PDSA to work at.

Relaxed and collaborative

It will teach you the basic skills you need in life such as communication and teamwork skills. It can get boring but the manager and employees are extremely nice.

Worst company I’ve ever worked for

Horrible company. Do not care about staffs well being or mental health. Will force you to cover extra shifts, everyone who works here leaves! The management here are a disgrace, PDSA has a very bad reputation in the veterinary industry for how they treat their workers. I felt genuinely ill working for this company.

Pros

Other staff members

Cons

Forced in to covering shifts, terrible management

proud to work for PDSA as a whole

enjoy my job but feel unfulfilled, I am proud to tell people that I work for the PDSA but the clients are pretty cruel sometimes, the pay does not reflect to work that you do

Great place to work great colleagues

Love working for the pdsa only set back is some rude clientsColleagues are wonderful working with animals is my dream and I’m loving it everyone is helpful

Relaxed atmosphere but lacks motivation and drive.

Good ethics of the company but not enough organisation. Pay doesn’t reflect on work being carried out. Employees who have worked for the company are on higher pay for the same job. Unfair pay bands. Weekend working is not equally shared.

Pros

Good working hours.

Cons

Pay is awful and weekend working is not fairly divided up.

Wouldn't work anywhere else

I absolutely love my team. We are all very much a big family. My managers are approachable and honest - always praising the good work and supporting at areas that needs improvement. It is a very fast paced environment, which makes it so much more fun. Each day is different and it fly by.Working for a charity and super rewarding.

Pros

The team, the work, the animals and salary is not bad.

Cons

Working in veterinary can be stressful at times.

Staff are not valued

Constant harassment to make money. As an employee you are not valued at all. Skills are not valued and quiet days are your fault. Salaries are not equal and new managers are the lowest paid. No progression routes here either.In the shop itself working with volunteers and assistant manager however is lovely. They are what makes the day/week/year worthwhile (pity those at the top are never around to see or meet and recognise their value). The shop itself is not yours to make as your own, as there are lots of “rules” to follow, so it is just another boring one same as all the rest! Sadly (the retail side) is a poorly run organisation, with very outdated ideas. The founder I don’t think envisioned what it is today. The charity name and what it is about are the ONLY thing that keeps you going, and higher management rely on this. Unfair, unrecognised and undervalued are the key words to describe PDSA retail. Shame really.

Pros

The team in the shop. The fun you have and the genuine support for each other.

Cons

Long hours and high expectations for poor pay and constant nagging

Great Experience

I started volunteering here with no previous work experience, no confidence and seemingly not knowing anything useful. But that didn't matter, they still gave me a chance.At PDSA they train you up on a multitude of different tasks, such as merchandising and how to work on the till. They encourage you to try new things and leave your comfort zone but they never expect you to do something that you do not feel comfortable with... Something the area manager said during the interview pretty much sums up what I am unsuccessfully trying to say... "It works both ways, you help us by volunteering and we help you". I highly believe this is true.

Pros

- They pay your bus fare.

A really stressful place to work.Bullying work culture. First day I said hello and everyone ignored me.

Awful place to work. Treated unfairly by staff.Need security on the door as the general public are allowed to do anything to you. Bullying work culture.

Cons

Really stressful Bullying work culture Talked down to

Good for the community

Amazing shop to work in. Friendly atmosphere and people. It's for a good cause for Animals. & to raise money for sick animals PDSA is brilliant charity for the local community. In Blackpool, I would recommend anyone working there and volunteering there. Get yourself round there. Meeting new people and doing something good for your local PDSA charity is a great experience. And we all have pets and love animals so why not pop in.

Great place to work, fast paced, good breaks, lovely staff who really care about the role of the pdsa in the local community. Great opportunity to learn.

Very rewarding place to work

The PDSA is an absolutely amazing charity pet hospital, there is a truly rewarding feeling you get here when helping an animal in need, that in itself is a benefit.Management are approachable, care about you as a person not just a worker and try to make things better and if you need training or further help on tasks it's given to you in detail. The team is like a family.It is a fast paced environment but its to be expected with a charity vets, the people that work here genuinely care and love what they do, it's more than just a job.

Pros

Rewarding factor, you do genuinely help people in need, fantastic team spirit and you get help for your own pets too.

Cons

Is fast paced but very rewarding.

Fun and enjoyable

It was Fun and enjoyable at pdsa with a great team of people.Although tasks are repetive I was treated fairly and although I lost my stick the management had put in the office for safe keeping rather than upstairs.

Pros

Cons

Repeptive duties.

No support

I did not enjoy my time at Pdsa, the area manager was awful, no support at all. The workload is ridiculous & the pay is abysmal. Constantly understaffed but you’re still expected to work your backside off alone. I didn’t feel safe at all.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, unpaid lunch which you never get, understaffed.

There is good and bad

Good thing is I meet some good friends there , learn how to work on the tills and lots of customer are nice and friendly. But sometimes I just feel like volunteers work way harder than people who get paid there somehow. Anyway, you will find out when you work long enough.

Pros

I made good friends there.

Cons

Many

Awful place to work

Worst place iv ever worked, the staff are very helpful but cold in attitude, the management is useless dont listen to anything you say, Not interested in anything you say unhelpful not people oriented at all. And cold toward certain staff

Pros

Nice reception team

Cons

Bad Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PDSA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement