pebbles care ltd
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

pebbles care ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom102 reviews

behaviouryoungsupportsupportedkidcarechildstaff

A place to work if you care

Since the take over things are changing for the better. Has been a vast improvement in procedures and policies. The company genuinely care for their staff as well as the young people in their care

3 August 2022
We are delighted to read that you’re seeing things changing for the better, as our people’s wellbeing and happiness are extremely important to us. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for being a valued member of the Pebbles' family.

Excellent progression, kind, caring and supportive team

I have been with Pebbles for nearly two years. I love the fact that my role has a real purpose. My line manager is supportive and wants everyone in the team to continually learn new things. We have received Therapeutic Parenting training and it has supported me to fully understand the impact that trauma can have in the early years of child hood development. The company really care about the young people and make every effort to place children that we believe that we can help.

Pros

good benefits, discounts, free meals at work, 10/11 shifts per month, full pay for sleeps

Cons

It can be long hours but this includes sleepovers and you get good downtime too.

20 September 2022
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We are glad to read that you appreciate the Therapeutic Parenting training and are sure that the skills you’ve learnt will enhance your career development as well as the positive relationships with our young people. We greatly appreciate your positive attitude and wish you a fantastic progression as part of our team.

Insights into pebbles care ltd

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Toxic Work Environment

I would not recommend this place of employment to anyone. They never have enough staff so expect to have to do the work of 2 people, and talk about being thrown in at the deep end. The management don’t have a clue what is happening and rather than offer support, they are either nowhere in sight or on-hand to blame everything that is not right on you. The salary is ok but only because of the sheer number of hours you are expected to work and in terms of the ideology of the company and their approach to therapeutic parenting, this essentially means letting the children do whatever they want with no consequences whilst the core staff bear the brunt of their behaviour. You are not valued as an employee or an individual. Not to mention HR who are only interested in covering their own behinds, staff are given limited to no support at all. The working environment is toxic and the number of staff off for mental health reasons is ridiculous. The company’s number 1 priority is making money, not child welfare. Most of the staff are completely miserable and only stay for the kids.

20 September 2022
We are sorry to read that you feel like your experience with Pebbles didn’t meet your expectations.We strive to recruit talented individuals to ensure that optimal numbers of team members are consistently provided to avoid any unnecessary pressure on our workforce. However, due to the nature of our sector, there might be emergency situations, e.g., sicknesses, where more support is required to provide consistent care to our young people.Therapeutic Parenting is a unique and integral part of Pebbles for good reason. We aim to ‘connect’ before we ‘correct’ via trustworthy and loving relationships that have resulted in incredible progress for many of our young people. As many of the individuals we care for have been subject to traumatic experiences in their early years, which trigger their challenging behaviours, a punitive approach rather than forming these secure relationships would be detrimental to their development. We offer extensive training to understand and learn to implement Therapeutic Parenting and encourage employees to reach out for extra support if they need it.Our HR department works continuously to improve the benefits offered and ensure our teams feel safe in their work environment and offers support for any wellbeing or mental health concerns raised. We also have a team of specialist in-house psychologists, whose job includes supporting team members in caring for our young people.We are always open to listening and learning, so if you would like to provide further feedback, please email us at talktous@pebblescare.com. If we don’t hear from you again, -

Fantastic place to work!!

I have been an employee for 2 years now. I started during my university degree and I honestly can praise this company enough. They have exceeded my expectations as a company, they provided me with lots of opportunities to enhance my learning at university, they recognised my strengths and promoted me within a year and have supported me to learn and develop. Mostly I feel valued as an employee. The children are incredible and blow me away at their resilience and determination. There are hard days, but that's all they are, you get through them with the support of your team. What job in life does not come with a hard day? The values of this company are intrinsic to mine, and I truly love my Job. If YOU want to make a difference, be valued for the work you put in, then this is the place for you. You won't regret it 🙂

20 September 2022
We are so happy to receive your positive feedback! It is great to read that you feel so supported with your skills and career development, as we love empowering our team members to do an incredible job and develop in their roles. Your understanding of the challenges as well as the rewards of working with our young people is a quality we value highly. We wish you to keep learning and developing at Pebbles while keeping up the positive work.

Absolute shambles of a company

This company is an absolute joke. It only cares about making money and it doesn't care what so ever about staff. The staff turnover is huge and at the end of the day you are just a number.Half of the management and inexperienced and because they are so desperate for staff they promote you from residential care worker to manager within a few weeks!Avoid at all costs as some of the grades reflect on how abysmal they are. When a company gets a grade 1 then you know how terrible they are.

Cons

Long hours for minimum pay

20 September 2022
We are so sorry to hear you felt like you had an unpleasant experience with us as this is not what we want for any of our employees.We highly value every single member of our team and offer unrivalled benefits, as well as learning and development opportunities for everyone to build up their skills and grow within the organisation. This has contributed to a steady growth and retention in employees’ numbers.A management role at Pebbles is not something that can be achieved lightly as it requires high levels of merit, commitment, and skill to be displayed before a promotion is even considered. When someone is promoted, they are put through even more advanced training to ensure they are prepared for the responsibilities of their new role. We encourage open and honest conversations if an employee has questions about the promotion of a colleague, though, and are happy to explain the reasons that supported our decision. As well as our teams, we seriously value the standards of our homes to ensure they consistently provide the best quality of care for our young people. In the very rare occasion that we receive a below standard review, we are very quick to assess the situation and implement effective improvement plans to address the issues and ensure the home promptly returns on a more positive trajectory. We also have a dedicated compliance team who work closely with our homes to regularly ensure standards are met, offering support and guidance that has proven invaluable over the years. As we are always looking for ways to enhance our teams’ experiences, you are welcome to provide -

Meaningful work, great team.

I am having an amazing experience working for Pebbles Care. I work with a small team and we all work from home but we still support each other and communicate regularly. My development needs and goals are always taken into account; I am encouraged to do training courses and obtain formal qualifications. The job is very rewarding as we make sure we recruit the best people for every role, always having in mind the safety of the children we look after.

Pros

development opportunities, great team, meaningful and rewarding job

17 August 2022
Thank you kindly for your feedback. It’s fantastic to read how much you’re enjoying being part of our family and that you feel well supported through regular communication and to achieve your development goals. We have a progressive culture where we love empowering our employees to do an amazing job through training and by funding relevant courses, and we wish you an amazing career progression as part of the Pebbles team!

Helpful, relaxed and understanding workplace

I was taken on by Pebbles as a Marketing Intern while studying International Marketing at university. I have found Pebbles a very helpful and collaborative company to work for as I am just beginning my career in marketing and the staff, especially my manager, have been very supportive and understanding when giving me tasks and teaching me new aspects of the role I have not done before and even though this is a remote role they still communicate with me well. The work environment is quite relaxed as I am assigned tasks and left to complete them but always have easily reachable assistance if it is needed. Overall, I would definitely recommend working for Pebbles if you are looking to be part of a team where you want to feel valued and understood.

4 August 2022
Thank you kindly for your positive feedback. It’s fantastic to read that you’re enjoying being part of our family and how much you appreciate our collaborative culture. We wish you a wonderful learning journey as part of our team and hope that this experience at Pebbles will be the foundation of an amazing career for you.

Poor company, all about making money.

The company is poor, they only care about making money and profit. All to line the pockets of the senior leadership team with bonuses and payouts. They don’t care about children.

Pros

Cons

Greedy and manipulative

4 August 2022
We are truly sorry about the way you felt as part of our team.We work hard to make improvements, especially for our young people, who deserve to be cared for at the highest standards. As such, we are investing hugely in our homes to ensure they are safe and loving spaces, and we are providing continuous learning and development opportunities to our teams. Our psychology support has increased over the last two years, both to assist our young people and our employees, and our unique therapeutic parenting model has been developed to ensure young people can experience self-healing journeys at Pebbles. We’ve also introduced an innovative education model to break the barrier that impedes the individuals in our care from attending school. Our priority is and will always be the wellbeing of our children and young people.If you would like to provide further feedback, please email us at talktous@pebblescare.com. However, if we don’t hear from you again, we wish you the very best for your career.

Not worth your mental health

If you want to make a difference to the lives of children who live in care and are a hardworking and resilient person, working in residential care is definitely for you. Working for Pebbles however, is definitely not. You could go to work for Pebbles with the best intentions but it would only be a matter of time before you burn out or give up.Unfortunately since the 'restructure' the company's priority seems to be making money over the welfare of the children or staff. The restructure itself was handled horrendously. Most of the homes ended up way understaffed because Pebbles got rid of too many people or staff left because of not knowing where they stood. You will be pressured into doing extra shifts and you will be guilt tripped if you say no or have the audacity to prioritise your personal life. You will be contacted a lot when you aren't on shift. If something goes wrong it is always the staffs fault, even if they are just doing what they have been asked to do from higher up.I worked in a few of the homes and there are good people who work here but most have left or want to leave. Most are fed up of not feeling valued, not feeling safe or listened too. The role obviously comes with challenges but you should never feel like you are seriously at risk and not supported. Get used to the phrase 'Its your job!'

4 August 2022
We are truly sorry to read that your experience with us didn’t meet your expectations. Before the restructure, the company didn’t provide consistent working patterns for our employees and care for our children and young people. As such, a change was much needed to bring consistency across our 45 homes, ensuring that all our employees are treated fairly and that the people we care for are exceptionally well looked after. That said, we appreciate that the changes might have felt overwhelming for some employees, who therefore preferred to pursue new career opportunities. However, the benefits of the restructure are already visible across the board. Regarding the shifts, the rotas are planned in advance, and team members would be asked to help with extra shifts just in emergency situations to ensure our young people keep receiving consistent care. If anyone feels pressured to do extra shifts, though, or even at risk to do their job, we do encourage to have an open conversation with our dedicated line managers and HR team, whoso role is to support our valued employees. Our expert in-house psychologists also work closely with our teams to ensure everyone has the right knowledge and skills to deal with challenging situations. We are always open to listening and learning, so if you would like to provide further feedback, please email us at talktous@pebblescare.com. If we don’t hear from you again, we wish you all the very best for your future career.

Children were fantastic management team toxic.

Depending how the staff treat the children, the job could be fun as well as demanding.There used to be team leaders and the team leaders didn't have the correct skills. They gave and made wrong decisions and blamed their staff.The manager had 2 sides, which made the job difficult. Lack of communication and a very blamed environment. Pebbles Care is about making money from vulnerable children.Non supportive Area managers, they had many faults, and because of their titles, they also used it for their own advantages. HR also have each other's backs also. Experience you will never forget.Fantastic children, shame about the care the company provide.

4 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback and sorry about the way you felt as part of our team; this is certainly not what we want for any of our valued employees. We work relentlessly to equip our team members, including our managers and senior team, with the right tools to do an amazing job. Our ultimate goal is that all employees feel exceptionally well-supported. Therefore, we would like to understand your experience in more detail and would welcome further feedback at talktous@pebblescare.com. However, if we won’t hear from you, we do wish you the very best for your future endeavours.

New role new job

The looked after Child sector can be a challenging sector to work Pebbles Values underpin a positive therapeutic model to support young people. Staff are supported and its a great place to be, to learn, to advance early days for me, but the feelings people and homes are all amazing, great job great company and fab staff at all levels.

Pros

health care, pension, good salary

Cons

non at the moment

4 August 2022
Thank you kindly for your review. We are delighted to read how much you appreciate our culture, values, and unique therapeutic approach. We love empowering our people to grow within our family, and our collaborative environment allows meaningful relationships between colleagues to form. We are glad to have you as part of our team and wish you to develop and thrive in your role at Pebbles.

Rewarding work

I would still class myself as quite new to the company but have always felt like part of the team, all departments work closely together and have a very supportive culture of each other. They invest highly in the employee's and also are keen to progress and promote employee's to their full potential.

4 August 2022
Thanks so much for your review. It’s great to learn that you’re feeling well supported in your new role at Pebbles. Collaboration and progression drive our organisation, and we’ll always offer opportunities for development and growth. We wish you a wonderful career journey as part of our family.

Quality Child Care

We provide a high standard of care and our children are priority to enhancing their life's. Fun, caring, loving home environment. Therapeutic parenting is being developed across the company.

Pros

Quality Support and leadership

4 August 2022
Thank you kindly for your feedback. Our unique therapeutic parenting approach is the cornerstone of our care and education, and it’s fantastic that you recognise the quality of the care we deliver. We wish you to keep thriving in your role as Registered Manager of one of our loving homes.

It's like joining a big family!

Pebbles Care is a fantastic place to work, they care about your wellbeing and place it as a priority. Everyone will genuinely go out of their way to help each other.I highly recommend working here :-)

Pros

Good salary, wellbeing package, group life assurance, Medicash, great people!!

4 August 2022
Thanks so much for your lovely feedback. We can only care for others if we care for each other first. This is our core belief, and the reason why we always aim to see our people thrive in their roles. We are glad to have you as part of our big family of collaborative colleagues and wish you to have a wonderful career with us.

Fantastic company

I have worked for Pebbles Care now for around 6 years, I started as a residential childcare worker and have progressed to joining the commissioning team. One of the great things about this company is the opportunity to progress and build a successful career as there are many different career paths within pebbles. I have loved my journey though Pebbles so far and hope to continue growing with the company. A typical day at work for me is fast paced and interesting. I no longer work directly with the young people but am now responsible for finding homes for the young people within our company.

Pros

pension, medi-cash health care, life insurance

Cons

Challenging behaviours from young people at times

4 August 2022
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Your career progression is a wonderful example of the development opportunities we offer. We believe that working at Pebbles shouldn’t be just a ‘job’, but a career journey in the residential child care sector. We are sure there’ll be more opportunities for you to progress in your role and wish you to keep developing as part of our family.

Fun, supportive and good management

I really enjoy working for Pebbles. I have a challenging role but an extremely supportive manager. I feel appreciated at work and congratulated on my achievements.

4 August 2022
It’s great to read how much you enjoy working with us and how well supported you feel. Thank you kindly for sharing your positive feedback and being a valued member of our family.

Don't apply, even if you are desperate!

If you want to work for a company where the profits of shareholders and interests of managers is top priority, then this is the company for you. If you can suck up to management then all the better. However, if you want to work for a company that will support you to be your best, acknowledge your strengths, and develop your weaknesses in order to provide the best care for children and young people then you need to look elsewhere.

4 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We are truly sorry about the way you’re feeling as part of our team and would welcome further feedback at talktous@pebblescare.com.We work hard to make improvements so that Pebbles can be a great place for all. Therefore, we take your feedback seriously and would like the opportunity to listen to your concerns in more detail to improve your experience with us. We hope to hear from you soon and that together we’ll find a way to make you feel more valued and appreciated.

Understaffed over stretched

Having recently worked for this company I have discovered that they are extremely understaffed putting pressure on the staff they do have, which in turn causes them to leave when new staff are brought in. The management is not very strong and their on-call system is phone support only, if they actually answer the phone. Then there is the holiday system, you are forced to use two days holiday for one 24-hour shift off! They do not like paying bonuses for working bank holidays either. Their therapeutic parenting does not work as there is no consequences when the children do something to another resident or staff member. Sadly this company fails in so many ways.

Pros

Healthwatch, pension

Cons

Management, Holiday system, staff retention, pay, lack of educating children. lack of preparation for the real world, lack of support from on-call system

18 August 2022
We are sorry that you feel your experience with us wasn’t positive and would welcome further feedback at talktous@pebblescare.com.We strive to build teams with the optimal number of employees to avoid putting pressure on our people in case of sicknesses, holidays, or emergencies. Our teams are growing steadily, and we welcome into our doors as many talented and caring individuals as we can to avoid being understaffed.Our on-call system is organised on a rota basis, and there is always someone assigned to the line. We encourage our team members to express their concerns openly if they don’t feel well supported, though.Regarding the holidays, these are pro-rated to the overall hours worked, and the salary is not decreased for sleepover shifts. We prefer to provide everyone with a steady income rather than favour those who can more easily work during bank holidays.Therapeutic parenting is not punitive in nature. We aim to ‘connect’ before we ‘correct’ via trustworthy and loving relationships. Through a self-reflective practice that is non-judgemental, we help children and young people understand their actions and what they mean to others. Our young people often have challenging behaviours due to their past traumatic experiences, and this is not their fault. A punitive approach would therefore be highly detrimental to their self-healing journey.In case we don’t hear from you again, we wish all the best for your future career.

A child care company going places

I've been with the business 14 months now and must say 2021 was a challenging year. The business has gone through some big changes and now has a clear vision. There is a better structure and the mood is changing quickly for the better. This is a company that cares about our Children, Our employees and our purpose. This is a business that is going places and is heading for the top.

Pros

Amazing Teams and individuals committed to providing great care and support for all

Cons

Nothing.

4 August 2022
Thank you so much for your kind feedback. We have the wellbeing of our people at heart, and it is fantastic to read how much you are enjoying being part of our team. A clear vision is pivotal in ensuring everyone at Pebbles feels part of a united family while striving to brighten young people’s lives. We are glad to have you in our team and wish you a meaningful and rewarding career journey with us.

I love working at Pebbles

I joined Pebbles recently and I am so glad I did! All the teams genuinely care about the young people in our care and education. But there is also so much focus on the well-being of the employees, ensuring that everyone not only receives a fair treatment, but is actually given the tools to do an amazing job and to grow within the company.There's a meaningful sense of purpose beyond the self that unites the team, with the children and young adults at the heart of every decision taken. Knowing that through our support many young people will have a better future is what motivates me to get out of bed every morning.

Pros

Great culture, with young people at heart

Cons

None so far

4 August 2022
Thank you kindly for your feedback. We are extremely glad that you joined our team too. It's wonderful to read how excited you are about being at Pebbles and that you recognise our efforts in ensuring that our people can truly develop and flourish. We wish you a great career journey as part of our family.

Good place to work, restructure and takeover was horrible and still is.

I found it a great place to work and the children and staff were supported by management. Prior to the restructure, I would never have said anything negative about the company. After restructure, the company were no longer family friendly, shift pattern was undesirable and the pay was shocking for part time workers.

Pros

Staff, management and young people

Cons

Long hours, no flexibility for set days, HR and above managment had no interest other than making profit!

4 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We are sad to read that you didn’t feel happy with the recent restructure. The changes we made were needed to improve the shift patterns and working conditions of all our team members, bringing consistency across the business. We have worked hard to find a sustainable way to improve the work-life balance of our valued employees while ensuring our children are exceptionally well looked after. We are already seeing many improvements that ultimately result in a higher quality of care for our young people.We are open to listening and learning, though. So, if you’d like to discuss your experience further, we will welcome your feedback at talktous@pebblescare.com. If we don’t hear from you again, we wish you all the very best for your future career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at pebbles care ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare pebbles care ltd with

Learn about pebbles care ltd in popular locations

• pebbles care ltd
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?