Penguin Random House
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Penguin Random House Employee Reviews

United Kingdom78 reviews

canteenpublishingbookfreeteamopportunityculturefriendly

Great in some ways, but very difficult to progress - for some

How to succeed and progress is very opaque - though this seems to be an industry-wide problem. You can be told in a performance review that you are brilliant and couldn't have done anything better, but still not be considered for a promotion.

Pros

Free books, nice office

Cons

Hours go way over the contracted ones, for no extra pay.

Toxic culture and zero progression

As a company they pride themselves on being "progressive" and understanding but the culture in the business is incredibly toxic and "woke". HR is non-existent and they do not care about employee wellbeing with myself and several members of the team being signed off with depression/stress throughout my 3 years at the company. Everyone talks about how busy they are yet nothing ever gets done.

Pros

Cheap books.

Cons

Toxic Environment

Insights into Penguin Random House

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Trust in colleagues

An inspiring and fun place to work

A great place to start a career in publishing with lots of opportunity to progress. A great company culture which means you will make a lot of friends. Can be competitive and stressful but rewarding too.

Pros

Great company culture and lots of perks

Cons

Expected to read submissions in your own time

Great place to work and very inclusive at all sites

It's a great place to work, with lots of benefits and very inclusive atmosphere at all sites as far as I can tell. Subsidised food and drink, relaxed atmosphere where possible and when not working on target driven projectsCould be better structured management wise, with more people to do the work, but this is the same at most places.Since the pandemic the company has shifted and does now meet the work life balance they had always said they had. Opportunities don't come up as much as hoped, and limited training scope...but not the worst by any means.

Pros

Bonus payment, subsidised canteen, great work life balance, very inclusive

Cons

Long Hours, Pay could be better

Fun

Working environment was good I can not complain people are very friendly. Workload is heavy for the amount of people working for there. Apart from all that it’s a very busy environment yet friendly

Pros

Perks were good

Cons

Not too many staff to help you take boxes up

Laid back atmosphere

Disorganised and unprofessional. Too many mangers and not enough employees.No support and Badly paid, even though profit margins are through the roof.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

No support and no processes in place to help you get to grips with the role

Great environment to work within a challenging industry and business sector

I enjoyed the working environment at PRH. It was a fun and collaborative environment. It is an industry that is challenged with a changing market landscape and the business leaders seemed to be aware of the challenges they faced with smaller and more nimble entrants to their market. I enjoyed working there and reluctantly left to relocate with my family. I would go back if the opportunity arose.

Hated the place at the end

Wold not work for them again in our warehouse alot of the management were bullies and thought nothing of getting rid of someone they did not like no matter how long the person had been employed by the company.

Pros

Cons

Overtime ! They try to make u feel guilty so u will do it.

Headless chickens

Probably the most non-diverse and non-inclusive place I have ever worked. If you are non white and not from a university background don't bother. Poor management, poor working conditions and no direction.

Pros

Cons

Stressfull, all running around like headless directionless chickens, and they only like to employ young white middle classes.

Great place to work in.

This is a really nice company in Central London. Many professional people are working there from different countries. Always positive and pleasant work environment.

Pros

Great experience

Cons

Travell

fun place

many team building activities that encourage you to meet and greet staff from across all departments lots of free books for all family members good discounts on theatres etc

Pros

summaer hours flexible working on fridays

Very good

I loved working for PRH and would have still been there if they hadn't relocated. I was with them for over 20 years and moved from London to Rugby so I could work for them.

Challenging

Nice place to work and learn on the job. Good life and work balance. Nice office and equipment, subsidised cafeteria. Since it's a publishing house, you get the opportunity to read loads of books, for free ;)

Good

Great company to work for, very friendly and collaborative environment. Good promoter of of knowledge share across the organisation. Ever evolving and adapting new ways of working.

Productive and fun

There is a lot of stigma around warehouse work, it isn't for everyone (like myself) but I wouldn't say I regret my time there. I learned to focus on myself and my personal achievements -set targets. It is important to be proactive because more often than not if you are not achieving those targets (like any place) you will be told that improvement is necessary and it will add unnecessary pressure. Get the work done and no issues will arise. The overall work culture is relaxed, there is a canteen where you are able to purchase lunch -which is of a very high standard and generally speaking, the people that I have worked with are nice.

Lovely company to work for

PRH is a lovely company to work for. They promote a healthy work life balance and are very flexible. Good benefits and a nice office with onsite canteen.

Fantastic work environment, unsatisfied with training

Working for Penguin was really exciting, it’s in the heart of London which for me (having lived in the countryside my whole life) was a lot of fun and there’s lots of places to go for your lunch break and after work. There was no training given when I first arrived and I was introduced to the team and then sat at a desk and told to wait until someone emails me with something to do. I found this strange and I was out of my comfort zone completely. The team were very friendly but I didn’t feel included the whole time and did feel like an outsider. It might’ve been because the placement was only for a few weeks but it was a bit lonely when I wasn’t made to feel completely welcome, I assume they have a lot of people rotating in this position so I’m not completely surprised by this. I was given lots of things to do, from organising mail outs to editing transcripts. I did learn a lot and the office environment was really exciting as all around me were people working on exciting new books and there were famous authors walking around the offices. Aside from being thrown in the deep end, I had a really great time and getting loads of free books every day was fantastic. I would recommend working there but be aware that the work experience is full on!

Fun Workplace

They are quite flexible depending on the needs of the employee. They have monthly book sales where you can get new books at cheap prices. They have an on-site cafeteria which is pretty cheap.

Amazing workplace

Learnt so much about publishing, editorial and author management here. Worked on manuscript assessment, blurb writing, reader reports, and much more. Lovely people too!

A busy but friendly environment to work in.

I have enjoyed temping at Penguin Random House, but now need to find a permanent position.

Pros

Monthly staff book sales, and staff book discounts. Free parking and subsidised canteen.

Used to be a fun place to work

If you're lucky enough to be a permanent member of staff, you are treated well, but you practically work in silence unless you decide to speak to someone near you instead of emailing! Contractors are treated badly, and paid badly. Work loads are huge.

Pros

Onsite subsidised restaurant and cafe, good central location.

Cons

Long unpaid hours, contract staff treated badly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penguin Random House. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement