Penguin Random House

Penguin Random House Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the working environment at PRH. It was a fun and collaborative environment. It is an industry that is challenged with a changing market landscape and the business leaders seemed to be aware of the challenges they faced with smaller and more nimble entrants to their market. I enjoyed working there and reluctantly left to relocate with my family. I would go back if the opportunity arose.
Wold not work for them again in our warehouse alot of the management were bullies and thought nothing of getting rid of someone they did not like no matter how long the person had been employed by the company.
Pros
Cons
Overtime ! They try to make u feel guilty so u will do it.
Probably the most non-diverse and non-inclusive place I have ever worked. If you are non white and not from a university background don't bother. Poor management, poor working conditions and no direction.
Pros
Cons
Stressfull, all running around like headless directionless chickens, and they only like to employ young white middle classes.
This is a really nice company in Central London. Many professional people are working there from different countries. Always positive and pleasant work environment.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Travell
many team building activities that encourage you to meet and greet staff from across all departments lots of free books for all family members good discounts on theatres etc
Pros
summaer hours flexible working on fridays
Cons
I loved working for PRH and would have still been there if they hadn't relocated. I was with them for over 20 years and moved from London to Rugby so I could work for them.
Nice place to work and learn on the job. Good life and work balance. Nice office and equipment, subsidised cafeteria. Since it's a publishing house, you get the opportunity to read loads of books, for free ;)
Great company to work for, very friendly and collaborative environment. Good promoter of of knowledge share across the organisation. Ever evolving and adapting new ways of working.
There is a lot of stigma around warehouse work, it isn't for everyone (like myself) but I wouldn't say I regret my time there. I learned to focus on myself and my personal achievements -set targets. It is important to be proactive because more often than not if you are not achieving those targets (like any place) you will be told that improvement is necessary and it will add unnecessary pressure. Get the work done and no issues will arise. The overall work culture is relaxed, there is a canteen where you are able to purchase lunch -which is of a very high standard and generally speaking, the people that I have worked with are nice.
PRH is a lovely company to work for. They promote a healthy work life balance and are very flexible. Good benefits and a nice office with onsite canteen.
Working for Penguin was really exciting, it’s in the heart of London which for me (having lived in the countryside my whole life) was a lot of fun and there’s lots of places to go for your lunch break and after work. There was no training given when I first arrived and I was introduced to the team and then sat at a desk and told to wait until someone emails me with something to do. I found this strange and I was out of my comfort zone completely. The team were very friendly but I didn’t feel included the whole time and did feel like an outsider. It might’ve been because the placement was only for a few weeks but it was a bit lonely when I wasn’t made to feel completely welcome, I assume they have a lot of people rotating in this position so I’m not completely surprised by this. I was given lots of things to do, from organising mail outs to editing transcripts. I did learn a lot and the office environment was really exciting as all around me were people working on exciting new books and there were famous authors walking around the offices. Aside from being thrown in the deep end, I had a really great time and getting loads of free books every day was fantastic. I would recommend working there but be aware that the work experience is full on!
They are quite flexible depending on the needs of the employee. They have monthly book sales where you can get new books at cheap prices. They have an on-site cafeteria which is pretty cheap.
Learnt so much about publishing, editorial and author management here. Worked on manuscript assessment, blurb writing, reader reports, and much more. Lovely people too!
I have enjoyed temping at Penguin Random House, but now need to find a permanent position.
Pros
Monthly staff book sales, and staff book discounts. Free parking and subsidised canteen.
If you're lucky enough to be a permanent member of staff, you are treated well, but you practically work in silence unless you decide to speak to someone near you instead of emailing! Contractors are treated badly, and paid badly. Work loads are huge.
Pros
Onsite subsidised restaurant and cafe, good central location.
Cons
Long unpaid hours, contract staff treated badly
Very sociable and friendly place to work. Successful company with strong CEO Needs to modernise and bring new blood into leadership team to take them into the digital age.
PRH is a workplace that fosters creativity, continuous improvement and individuality. They fully support individual learning & development programmes for all team members. Further information on request.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Penguin, my only complaint being that I couldn't stay there and work forever. The staff are all so friendly and helpful, doesn't matter what department you were in everyone was able to help and answer whatever questions you had. It was filled with people that were open to tell you about their experiences and offer advice to you. I had so much fun, it's a company I would consider moving for.
Pros
Staff, free coffee, location is beautiful, great pay
Penguin Random House is a great company to work for, An excellent benefits package and aware of a need for flexibility in the modern working world. Opportunities to work from other sites, assist other teams, progression throughout the business, not just within technology. Keen to advance people with plenty of training sessions and management who really do care
Nice colleagues producing nice books. Professional but fun environment. Well located in Ealing and a nice work life balance
Worked on The Good Pub Guide which was meant to be a 9 month (FTC) contract but ended at 6 which to the best of my knowledge the current campaign was completed at 6 months, there were no further outbound calls to make beyond this - so more disappointed to see these facts not reflected in a reference later provided by the company and see no mention that I was ever fixed term which could give totally the wrong impression about me to prospective future employers.
Pros
Free car parking, cheaper canteen lunch, 35 hour week, good wage.
Cons
Stand alone role, no commission, no bonus as they get you by being temporary it is not payable for short term FTC