Perth and Kinross Council

Perth and Kinross Council Employee Reviews

Can be very hectic then very quiet but there’s always something to do, lots of minor jobs ans tasks other than your primary role of employment. Not a bad environment to work.
Pros
Good pension and sick pay
Cons
No real chance of promotion
I work for the Employment Support Team as an Employment Support Officer, supporting individuals with learning disabilities, people with mental ill health, on the autistic spectrum or an acquired brain injury to gain paid employment. Due to the diversity of my work I learn something new each day, I have a very supportive management team whom are available at any point of the day/night/weekend should I require support or advice. It is very difficult to say which part in particular is most challenging as each individual I support face different barriers. This is also the most enjoyable and satisfying part seeing the people I support reaching their potential and gaining independence.
Pros
Great job satisfaction
Cons
Current restrictions not allowing me to meet with clients.
It can be fun but also very stressful. Support is not always available when required, feel very much on your own with no outlet. Support from other areas would help staff morale.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Treatment
This company was a pleasure to work for and I would go back in a heartbeat, there is no doubt about that. Staff are friendly & helpful. The benefits that come with the job are second to none.
Wonderful staff,careing thoughtful i felt wanted.if I felt I needed I would always ask the best at the front of desk.what more ,I don't have anything to say.
Pros
Always wanted me to progress
Cons
If agency you are scum
Shifts were changed at the last minute every shift and not enough travel time was allocated in between visits. Management weren’t bothered if you didn’t have enough time as they expected you to keep going until you had finished all your calls regardless if you were on a double shift
Pros
Did have a good team of staff
Cons
Not enough travel time between calls
Worked with Social Work dept for 27 years. Worked my way up the ladder, from Care Assistant to Assistant Manager. Training was excellent, and I learned many skills throughout my time with the council. Loved working in the Care home and met many lovely people along the way, residents, staff and families.
A positive workplace consists of employees who enjoy and are passionate about their work and who exhibit both personal and professional pride in the products and services they provide to customers. Employees who look forward to coming to work each day and who interact with coworkers in a collaborative and collegial manner create a positive workplace. They act on the belief that their working relationships have a positive impact on the employment relationship, particularly when they sustain good working relationships with their supervisors and managers. Employees with an enthusiastic approach to work usually are described as fully engaged
Enjoyable and rewarding job however hours were determined by the individuals schedule so shifts were very varied and not always guaranteed. Good pay for the roles involved.
Good place to work I've been here nearly 3 years it's a pretty decent job I would recommend working here lot worse jobs than this I just do what I'm told . easy peasy lemon squeezy
I’m sure there were other very good managers in PKC but I managed to get an inexperienced manager who’s ideas were her way or no way. It was a great job ruined by an interfering manager
Pros
Flexi time although manager didn’t allow it to be flexible
Cons
Inexperienced managers
The council department which I work at as changed. The people are 7 from 5.This means that you are working weekends and taken days off through the week. Also in the summer, you are working from 7.00.am in the morning and finish at 7.00.pm.Which means that there is no overtime. If you get a full contract,the hours that work in the summer is move to the winter, whesometimes
Clueless unqualified and Inexperienced management, very low pay, very long hours, treated like a slave, broken or no equipment. Management refuse to manage anything. I've been in field and at a high level for 20 years and never come across such a bunch of such useless people as the ones at Perth and kinross council's friarton depot. They could do away with everyone above leading hands and things would work well while freeing up so much tax payers money.
Pros
Poor conditions (best pro i could come up with)
Cons
12 hour shifts, sunday working mandatory (basic rate pay), lack of management and direction.
Good company to work for. Worked with them for awhile back in 2010 and i loved ever minute of it shame it was only a temporary role but hours was good and same with the staff.
If you dont drive you walk from job to job ,you get breakfast for some and you get others washed and dressed, you learn that there is a lot of very nice people out there and some very lonely people which is quite sad. Management are very caring . the workplace can get quite stressful .The hardest part is leaving some people alone because you have another client to see to. Some of the clients have great story's to tell and that is great.
Pros
you meet great people
Cons
It can be very stressful
I was only employed with P&KC for a short period, two years, and left of my own accord. I can say I was working in a very positive and inclusive team (Building Standards). Excellent management from the top and excellent support during holiday periods (you would not normally come back to 100+ emails and returns that had been sitting for two weeks).
Pros
Home working and AVC'S
Cons
Workload, you work for your money.
the council is a good place to work not every day is the same and you never know what is going to happen when you go into work everyday. I enjoy the variation of work within the council
Top heavy with management and lots of money wasted on silly and ineffective initiatives. Overall day to day job is fine but you'll never get promoted unless you are happy to crawl up a bosses backside. This is often done by undermining colleagues to make them look bad and curry favour with management. In my post I worked with challenging kids and families which was very rewarding but stressful. The pay was good but never properly reflects the amount of stress in that line of work.
Pros
Saturday and Sunday
Cons
Dealing with the public!
Not a great environment to work in. It took 4 days before my manager even acknowledged me which made me feel unwelcome and isolated. It's very much a case of if your face fits you will be fine if not well tough luck. No induction or guidance and despite having a lot of experience with a different client group it was overwhelming to have to figure it all out without some support.glad I moved on.
Was myy first job within a big company, always felt that promotion oppertunities were well handled. A good place to upgrade employment skills/opportunities. Enjoyed the team work ethic.
A good place to work but little chance in the job that I do of extra hours or a chance to advance so I feel it is not for everyone. Councils have less and less money to spend so also not sure of job security.
Pros
Good holidays poorly paid