Perth and Kinross Council

Perth and Kinross Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews

Busy, productive and full on at times, no 2 days are the same

Like every workplace it has it up and downs. Hours are good but it can be very busy.Management seem fine and supportive, it would be unfair for me to comment given that I have only been here for a year.Hardest and enjoyable part of my job are managing staff. Most enjoyable part of my role is developing staff to provide an excellent person centred service and observing the service user developments.

Pros

Working hours

Cons

Pay could be better

Avoid at all costs

Worked in the Housing Service department on a six month contract. Found the management to be feeble and directionless throughout my time. Found the full time staff to be unsupportive, arrogant and two-faced. Hated absolutely every single day of it. Possibly the worst management I've ever worked under. Avoid like the plague, career pitfall for anyone deciding to work for this council.

Pros

Absolutely none.

Cons

Too many to list. Terrible management and ignorant staff are the main issues.

Insights into Perth and Kinross Council

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Productive and fun workplace. Individual management is lacking

PKC management is helpful. Management at my specific area left a lot to be desired. Good working hours that are quite flexible if that's what you require. Good benefits.

Not supported well, no progeession

Worked with Perth & Kinross Council for over 15 years.I feel that I was just a number, applied for many jobs but never gained interviews, don't know why jobs are advertised internally or externally as majority of the time they know who is getting the job. All earmarked for their favourites and relatives or friends.The advertising is just a tick box that has to be done.Jobs don't even need to be advertised as individuals have been slotted into jobs, and suddenly they have new job title. As for supervision or ERD lucky if you get it some get it on a weekly basis, or seems like that. These are the ones that get what they want. Unsupported through the pandemic.

Good work/life balance

Great place to work with excellent supports in place. Little day-to-day perks but long term, the pension scheme is extremely competitive. You'd be hard pushed to find better elsewhere.

Pros

Great pension and long term perks

Cons

Not a lot of training or programmes to allow younger people to work their way up

Need more basic hours

Excellent job, secure, good pension, full sick pay and impossible to get sacked. Need more hours only work 36hrs with no opportunity for overtime but hourly rate is above average.

Pros

Stress free

Cons

Low weekly hours

A supportive and well managed team

I work for the Employment Support Team as an Employment Support Officer, supporting individuals with learning disabilities, people with mental ill health, on the autistic spectrum or an acquired brain injury to gain paid employment. Due to the diversity of my work I learn something new each day, I have a very supportive management team whom are available at any point of the day/night/weekend should I require support or advice. It is very difficult to say which part in particular is most challenging as each individual I support face different barriers. This is also the most enjoyable and satisfying part seeing the people I support reaching their potential and gaining independence.

Pros

Great job satisfaction

Cons

Current restrictions not allowing me to meet with clients.

Work place

Can be very hectic then very quiet but there’s always something to do, lots of minor jobs ans tasks other than your primary role of employment. Not a bad environment to work.

Pros

Good pension and sick pay

Cons

No real chance of promotion

Busy

It can be fun but also very stressful. Support is not always available when required, feel very much on your own with no outlet. Support from other areas would help staff morale.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Treatment

Great work place and great employer

This company was a pleasure to work for and I would go back in a heartbeat, there is no doubt about that. Staff are friendly & helpful. The benefits that come with the job are second to none.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Perth and Kinross Council?

Magic

Wonderful staff,careing thoughtful i felt wanted.if I felt I needed I would always ask the best at the front of desk.what more ,I don't have anything to say.

Pros

Always wanted me to progress

Cons

If agency you are scum

Shifts

Shifts were changed at the last minute every shift and not enough travel time was allocated in between visits. Management weren’t bothered if you didn’t have enough time as they expected you to keep going until you had finished all your calls regardless if you were on a double shift

Pros

Did have a good team of staff

Cons

Not enough travel time between calls

Loved working with the council

Worked with Social Work dept for 27 years. Worked my way up the ladder, from Care Assistant to Assistant Manager. Training was excellent, and I learned many skills throughout my time with the council. Loved working in the Care home and met many lovely people along the way, residents, staff and families.

Fun and Productive

A positive workplace consists of employees who enjoy and are passionate about their work and who exhibit both personal and professional pride in the products and services they provide to customers. Employees who look forward to coming to work each day and who interact with coworkers in a collaborative and collegial manner create a positive workplace. They act on the belief that their working relationships have a positive impact on the employment relationship, particularly when they sustain good working relationships with their supervisors and managers. Employees with an enthusiastic approach to work usually are described as fully engaged

Relaxed and Enjoyable but high responsibility

Enjoyable and rewarding job however hours were determined by the individuals schedule so shifts were very varied and not always guaranteed. Good pay for the roles involved.

Good place to work pretty enjoyable

Good place to work I've been here nearly 3 years it's a pretty decent job I would recommend working here lot worse jobs than this I just do what I'm told . easy peasy lemon squeezy

Poorly managed

I’m sure there were other very good managers in PKC but I managed to get an inexperienced manager who’s ideas were her way or no way. It was a great job ruined by an interfering manager

Pros

Flexi time although manager didn’t allow it to be flexible

Cons

Inexperienced managers

The coucil have changed

The council department which I work at as changed. The people are 7 from 5.This means that you are working weekends and taken days off through the week. Also in the summer, you are working from 7.00.am in the morning and finish at 7.00.pm.Which means that there is no overtime. If you get a full contract,the hours that work in the summer is move to the winter, whesometimes

You will regret working here

Clueless unqualified and Inexperienced management, very low pay, very long hours, treated like a slave, broken or no equipment. Management refuse to manage anything. I've been in field and at a high level for 20 years and never come across such a bunch of such useless people as the ones at Perth and kinross council's friarton depot. They could do away with everyone above leading hands and things would work well while freeing up so much tax payers money.

Pros

Poor conditions (best pro i could come up with)

Cons

12 hour shifts, sunday working mandatory (basic rate pay), lack of management and direction.

Fantastic

Good company to work for. Worked with them for awhile back in 2010 and i loved ever minute of it shame it was only a temporary role but hours was good and same with the staff.

you meet lovely people

If you dont drive you walk from job to job ,you get breakfast for some and you get others washed and dressed, you learn that there is a lot of very nice people out there and some very lonely people which is quite sad. Management are very caring . the workplace can get quite stressful .The hardest part is leaving some people alone because you have another client to see to. Some of the clients have great story's to tell and that is great.

Pros

you meet great people

Cons

It can be very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Perth and Kinross Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Perth and Kinross Council with

• Perth and Kinross Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?