Pets at Home
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

Pets at Home Employee Reviews

I worked there for 5 years. Started on a 16 hour contract and quickly made my way up to 32. I loved my team. My Manager looked out for everyone and everyone mostly got along.I was always given oportunities to go towards Vets4Pets and the Groom Room, and eventually management.The company care far too much about swipe rate though. All about pushing the VIP app, when there are no benefits to owning the app. Yes it's on your phone, but the loading time is terrible, as well as the online vouchers that have no relation to the pets you own.
Pros
Always more hours available if needed, room for growth.
Cons
If you're 18 - 25, you'll more than likely be working every weekend.
This is an excellent job to have, I have worked at other companies and they are nothing compared to pets at home, they actually make you feel wanted and that you have a purpose and that you are an actual human being who deserve the good things best decision I ever made.
Pros
Mental health awareness
Cons
Rude customers
Used to be an amazing company to work for, actually used to care about the animals and the customers! But now just after every little penny they can get! Treat managers and colleagues like dirt, expect you to work extra hours for free if management! Higher up managers couldn’t care for the colleagues at all, if were making them more money than the other stores, their happy! Care for the animals is almost non existent now, literally only cleaning out the animals fully every 3 days, used to be everyday, this was to save the company money and to be able to have all colleagues on shop floor getting money out of the customers!
Cons
Relentless work, treated awfully, high stress
Most fun and enjoyable place to work, they don’t really put pets first though. Shove them in tiny cage and treat them as products. Can sometimes be bitchiness and bullying. But the job itself is fun.
Pros
Spending time with animals, amazing customers.
Cons
Pets are in bad conditions.
I worked at the Riverside Retail Park, Warrington branch for just seven months Aug 2020 to March 2021, and I have to say, it was one of the best places to work with management and colleagues always having your back. So different to the other jobs that I have done. The whole team are very professional and I made a few of great friends there, (they know who they are).I loved the whole environment and was really sad to leave but the draw of a much greater salary took me away. Whatever I requested from the managers, I got and they helped me no end as it was my first experience in retail. I would always consider going back if there were more hours available and more responsibilities.
Pros
Great colleagues, great managers. Every day was different and fun.
Cons
Covid but I will not elaborate on that, 16hrs per week
Night shifts are the worst as we have to do all the pickings because the day shift does bare minimum. The company uses you like a servant. Whenever they are not busy or ahead of pickings they will send you home two hours earlier than you rostered for. You loose money on that and your target too. But when they’re busy they force you to flex up and stay two hours post shift. All of this happens whilst you’re working or just arrived to work. Nothing is done in advance so you can prepare yourself. The management is a complete joke, no form of professionalism whatsoever. For a big company like that it is ludicrous to operate in such a manner.
Pros
Cons
Too little money for the work you do
Great opportunities to learn about animals. Animals are looked after very well. Loads of questions are asked before a customer buys a animal and my team have refused to sell as they didn’t feel the animal was going to the best home. Management very helpful in all aspects from learning to helping out with personal problems. The job is retail so you have to accept that not every customer is going to be nice but as long as you have a good manager behind you this is not a problem. The only down side is the late night openings but I was aware of this when I took the job.
Pros
Management, pet care, wages
Cons
Late night opening.
4 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience within the Pets at Home family! We're really passionate about putting pets first so it's great to see this coming through in your review. We are also really proud of the teams we have in place and are thrilled to hear you feel supported and are given lots of opportunities to develop your skills. Thank you again and we wish you a long and happy career with us!
Pets at home was brilliant to start with. Then the “kylie” concept came in (events every day, stressful targets to adhere to that were way above the norm, the customer experience became more important than their slogan of “pets before profit”) and covid hit. The company showed its true colours then. It has since destroyed all happiness of the teams that work for them. Forcing us to work 13-14 hour days and extra to cover staff members, expected to go way above our pay grade. We have dealt with constant abuse from customers and the company have turned a blind eye or defended the customers, we received death threats almost daily. It’s been horrendous. The amount of staff we have off for mental health due to work stress is huge. People who have worked for years for the company have been thrown under the bus and left with their careers in tatters. This company started off as the best place I’d ever worked for, now it’s despicable. It’s utterly heartbreaking the way that it has gone and how they’ve ruined so many people’s health and careers. It’s incredibly sad.
The managers are complete and utter bullies and work you to the ground so they get their bonus. Head office could not care less about animal welfare.
Pros
Colleague discount
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay, awful managers, no appreciation, unrealistic targets, no opportunity for progression, lack of training.
This company has no respect for people with disabilities they will make it as hard as possible for you to stay and act illegally as and when they feel like it. Animals are not respected they are just a piece of stock. There is little work life balance you are expected to do as much as they want. Very corporate if you don't hit a target then expect to be on a disaplinary and to be threatened.
Pros
Staff discounts
22 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback about your time with us, we very much appreciate this. We care deeply about the time that goes into our pets in store, our core value of putting “pets before profit” is our number one value and would encourage you to contact our Pet Promise Line or our Pet Team (you’ll find the details of this in your colleague room and on the Kennel) who will look to understand how we can resolve these concerns you have shared.We would be more than willing to hear about your experience working with us and understand more about why you felt discriminated against. We do take pride in working alongside and supporting our colleagues and customers with disabilities and our company disability network is working to educate our teams every day.Our People Services team or Regional Business Partners are readily available to talk through your concerns and see where we can make improvements to support our colleagues with disabilities. The contact number for our People Services Team is available on the Kennel. You can also call the main switchboard number for any of these contact details if you currently do not have access to the Kennel. John Turley, People Business Partner.
Pets at home is great for the wage and advancement in your career however its got a very cliqy environment and is rife for bullying and backstabbing!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
The people
22 February 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback.It’s great to hear that you found our career progression good. We pride ourselves on having inclusive teams and open door polices and it is disappointing to hear that you have not had this experience. Our People Services team and Regional People Business Partners are readily available to offer support and guidance and to talk through your concerns around bullying and backstabbing. We also have a whistleblowing line as a way of raising concerns, details of which are in every colleague room or available on the Kennel.The contact number for our People Services Team is available on the Kennel. You can also call the main switchboard number for any of these contact details if you currently do not have access to the Kennel. John Turley, People Business Partner.
PAH can be an amazing place to work. Fluffy puppies are everywhere, fast paced, good customer interaction, great place to gain knowledge but without the right team it is just stressful. The routines are tough and the customers demanding, there are also KPI's to hit. Problem is a great team is needed to be able to achieve these goals as well as great management which I find the company sometimes struggles with. I want somewhere with stronger team work, a more active role within the company and the opportunity to progress.
Pros
Pay increases with training achievements
Cons
Very stressful without a good team.
2 February 2021
Hello. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We're really pleased you enjoyed working at Pets at Home and our various training opportunities. We take on board your comments regarding the difficulties you faced within your team and always strive to improve, encouraging our colleagues to raise any issues they face with their Area Managers. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we wish you every success with your future career!
Bad place to work. The company cares more about profit and loyalty cards than employees. Pets at Home doesn’t care about the animals it sells, it just sees them as commodities. It doesn’t care about the homes they go to, just about selling them and making money. Do not get a job here if you love animals, it isn’t the place for people who care about animals. The animal welfare standards are poor at best. Managers were constantly playing favourites with staff members and there was a big culture of dishonesty and backstabbing among the colleagues.
Cons
Poor animal welfare, unfriendly colleagues, poor management
Well, work at NDC (warehouse) is relaxed with no pressure,but some of the managers and trainers don't even know what they doing there. Thanks for that to the relationships with offices staff or high management departments.Without "friendship" you can't even try apply for career opportunities.Decent MHE and other equipment, well maintained.Massive thanks to the kitchen staff and canteen,great food for not bad price. Reach/CB Drivers be aware! If company will hire you as Experienced FLT Operator (as requested on he job application) be ready that they try hard to turn you for Picking on LOLLOP.Finally I can say that PAH is not bad place for short time job,like most of people does but if you would like to stay longer,strongly recommend you have plan B in the case.
Pros
Extra breaks, Good equipment, Great canteen, Available overtimes, No managers pressure.
Cons
(Just free drinks for pandemic time 2020), 60% of Trainers/managers should be reviewed, NO cameras on Reach Trucks, Heavy lifting picking, Not fair career opportunities.
everyone thinks working at pets at home looks so fun! WRONG they don't put pets before profit at all. work life balance doesn't exist. and pushed to sell the loyalty card so hard its so stressful and customers HATE it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
swipe rate
This was one of the worst jobs I came into having. It is fine if you are a student I guess but I would recommend getting a job at a local supermarket instead. Management was rude, poor rota organization, gossiping about other staff when they are absent and expecting you to fill for their absence. Generally an unwelcoming work environment. Too much is expected of you, expected to do all your training on your own.
Pros
Slightly higher than minimum wage.
Cons
Poor management
I had high hopes. The store colleagues were the only good part as they really helped eachother. Training nearly non existent, you basically learn from the team as you go. Bullying management. Overall a bad experience wouldn't recommend. Terrible pay for the amount of knowledge and expertise you need. You'd get more for stacking shelves.
Pros
Nice store colleagues
Cons
To many to list
Toxic work environment, bullying management, lack of respect for the customer, animall cruelty on daily basis, very poor training, no lunch brakes, unpayed overtime. Please read all negative reviews, it's all true.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Animal cruelty, toxic work environment
Working at Pets at Home is a good first job for anyone fresh out of education or who is attending university. You must have a passion for animal welfare and customer service.After working with the company for almost 4 years since I left education I can honestly say I enjoyed some parts and hated others. I met some life-long friends there and it's also how I met my partner. On the whole the colleagues are lovely people who have a passion for animals however some people always let the side down through attitude or effort levels.The benefits and bonuses on top of the salary are solely based on targets such as loyalty card swipe rate and new sign-ups so you heavily require a team effort to get any bonus. In my opinion this is unfair as it is the type of job where not many people other than managers will devote their life to the job.I would recommend this job to anyone looking for work but with a warning of don't have it as an end goal unless you want to be working in retail your whole life.
Pros
Animal Welfare law enforcements when selling animals
Cons
Days drag, mediocre pay, poor bonuses
Unless you want to be a real suck up and get in with the area manager who on my area had no clue how to perform in her role and would of struggled in any area of a store. No support no matter how severe the situation from upper managment. Over the previous decade the company has lost there standards of care and responsibility which unfortanatley is seen and notices by many colleagues and managers. Area manager was full of promises that she loved to break.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
As managment, no support resulting in long days weeks, dont deliver what they say they will
The management and team was so young, that they were joining in with what felt like bullying and ganging up. It felt like being at school.There was absolutely no room or time within the company to help colleagues who are perhaps struggling with health issues such as mental health.Some, if not most of the items sold, staff are aware are dangerous for animals but have to sell them because that’s what the ceo and people from offices above demand. All we could do was advise people not to buy the some of the more dangerous products, and then we as store colleagues got the wrap for it.
Pros
Management was hot on not tolerating abuse to staff from customers
Cons
Read review.
  1. Employee reviews