Pets at Home

Pets at Home Employee Reviews

United Kingdom924 reviews

Fast paced but fun

Featured review

Pets at Home selected this as a representative review
Love working at pets at home! It’s not easy work don’t get me wrong but it’s made easier with an excellent team who I am proud to be part of.There are some pressures ie training and kpi’s but it comes with a massive sense of personal achievement . The only thing is the Rota has absolutely no routine to it so work life balance can be difficult to plan . You can work 2-8 one day and 8-2 the next and usually most weekends and Saturdays and Sundays are long shifts.

Pros

Paid birthday leave

Cons

Rota is all over the place

3 November 2021
Thank you for leaving such a positive review. We're so glad to hear you're proud to work in such a fantastic team. We want to get better everyday so feedback like this is really useful for us to understand how we can improve as an employer. We also really encourage you to discuss any concerns with your store manager or area manager to ensure you are having the best experience possible. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review.

Easy money, miserable job.

Was a very easy company to advance into management, in less than a year I was being put onto courses to be an assistant manager. Pay was great, but KPI's make work miserable, there constantly being pushed on you if your not achieving and it means that good customer service gets pushed aside to force KPI's on customers.

Insights into Pets at Home

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

Enjoyable

Temporary contract which isn’t too obvious on description & the pay should be higher in my opinion. I enjoy my job though, I feel apart of the team like my manager & feel supported & enjoy working from home & like the company in itself.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Minimum wage

Classic Retail experience

You get what you expect with working for pets at home, as you would with any retailer, can be some long hours and the usual rude customers but day to day is generally smooth. The main sell over other retail work is the animals, caring for them and educating the public is rewarding as well as all the charity work they do. During COVID lockdown company was very supportive, but unfortunately the job isn't very satisfying and can get repetitive.

Stressful, not supportive, depressing

Day to day is very stressful. Your are expected to groom back to back as well as answer the phone, book dogs in and out, clean, paperwork, diary keeping, hit targets, sell add ons.. all at the same time. You will groom right up until closing and the salon is expected to be spotless, so often you will leave late and not get paid for it. You are not given any support to progress within the company unless you are the managers best friend. The atmosphere is tense all the time in the salon and the shop floor as nobody is happy or motivated to work because store management and higher area management have sucked the life out of you. In our salon we had no salon manager for 3 years and was never thanked for keeping the salon afloat and always expected to do things which were not in our job role, with NO support from management. Only positive are the people i worked with at my level.

Fine.

Almost no work life balance as the Rotas contain zero consistency. Often made to compete against each other to hit the targets. Typical good and bad like every workplace. Can be very cliquey.

Pros

Good pay, good training

Cons

Poor management, work hard for little benefits

A better than average retail experience,

Pay is higher than other large retailors. Management puts the cart before the horse often, and it can be hard to progress within the company if your management do not favor you.

Pros

Pleasant customer base

Cons

Very physically straining.

Good benefits but not enough time to do the job

Good company and benefits but no work life balance as the stores run on too little hrs meaning a manager is just a well paid colleague who end us working on days off to catch up. Audits on pets are a constant worry as you are responsible so if it goes wrong your in investigations every five minutes so it’s a very stressful environment to work in.

Pros

Money

Cons

Work life balance Pressure over pet audits

Love it!

i really love my PAH role.Animals, customer service and more animals!What is not to love?My only gripe would be the wages could be a little bit higher. But hey, that's retail.

Changing for the better

Big changes to structuring management, now seen as leaders.More focus on wellbeing of colleagues which creates a more diverse and open culture in stores.

Pros

Great teams

6 May 2022
Thank you for leaving such a positive review! It's great to hear that the work we are doing internally to listen to and support our colleagues is being felt in stores!

Good mix of retail work and animal care

Management were fantastic and offered lots of new training and advancement opportunities. If you show willing, they will help you achieve your goals. Even the customers who come in to the store are often more polite and willing to listen to your advice than in other retail jobs. The main problems I encountered were difficulty booking holidays and finding some aspects of the job boring. They also don't allow you to book any holiday in December. Pros: above minimum wage pay with opportunities to earn more, easy access to training, friendly staff and management, fairly easy work loadCons: difficulty booking time off for holidays since they only allow 1 colleague off at a time so this can lead to arguments, some aspects of the job can become monotonous and boring after a while

6 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time at Pets at Home. We're really pleased to see that our brilliant training opportunities were appreciated and that you found our store teams friendly.

Very fast paced

Very fast paste job, Great supportive teams to deliver work load. Must keep up with day to day tasks, in order to deliver KPI. Click and collect, order from store all very fast Pace environments. Customer service is still the main Priority. Dealing with Groom-Room and daily dog washing. Compliance audits are a big part of the job, also dealing with local councils.

No work life balance

Good for building up training as a groomer but we don’t get paid enough for the job you have to do.Bad for work life balance and salary. Long hours, working Friday until 8pm is horrid.

Its okay

My store currently has 1 manager and he's new from what I can gather Ive worked there a short time but I already hate it. You have targets to meet and if you don't meet them the mangers get angry. they've said from now on they're going to keep us on till until we've met the targets. The training they expect you to do in your free time, in which I've had to explain to them I don't have much of due to my collage work and it being the middle of the year.

Pros

staff are friendly

Cons

weird hours constantly changes.

Unnecessarily stressful and management in bad

My experience of pets at home as a work place and company were poor. It is preached that we care about the animals more than being a retail business, pets before product, however I never experienced this. The company are focused on KPIs and getting customers signed up for things that may not even be suitable for their pet but the staff are not educated enough to offer different ideas. If you don't strive to meet targets your manager can offer warnings for sanctions, and often do encourage you to leave the company. Makes you wander what your managers bosses are saying that they feel they have to encourage the weeker colleagues to leave. Many managers lower hours for colleagues who underperform, many of my old colleagues felt the hardship of less hours struggling to pay bills and barely affording food. Overall I would bot recommend pets at home as a job unless you're willing to be brainwashed and not feel guilt for what the company teach you to say and preach.

Pros

Paid birthday leave.

Cons

Terrible management.

would not recommend

Stressful. No morals or work-life balance. Only care about numbers do not care about staff or animals. Manager puts targets over the welfare of everyone.

Not bad

Well paid, depends on what role you have as to whether its stressful. Like all retail jobs if you work in management the work life balance can not be great. Generally managers are ok, some good and some bad. Its not really all about animals, so people shouldn't apply thinking they are applying to work with animals as its predominantly a retail job that happens to sell animals. Ive seen many many people come into the company and not last long as they think it'll be all animals and easy....its not. Lots of training and lots of cleaning up after customers that don't clean up after they're dogs when they shop. Lots of kpis for team members to hit that are challenged daily but it does mean a potentially decent annual bonus. Share save works out well and the company can be quite generous with random bonuses and gift cards throughout the year. Theres generally always overtime available above the contracted hours you'll see advertised for jobs.

Bad management!

The job itself didn’t really have issues, management wise is where the problems were. Lack of experience which then fell on the employees and pay did not match up to the level of training required which was basically just PowerPoints on the computer. Hands on training was often on the back burner.

Amazing company to work for

Have been with the company for about 2-3 years and have not considered going anywhere else, worked at the Cheltenham branch for most of my career before transferring to another branch which was a terrible experience due to terrible management. However a new area and new branch have made life working at pets at home really good, amazing pay, great career ladder and friendly staff make this place a perfect place to work and grow as a person.

Pros

Great pay Discount Free stuff Good vibes

6 May 2022
What a fantastic review, thank you! It's wonderful to hear you're enjoying being a part of the Pets at Home family. We're really passionate about supporting our colleagues to develop and grow in their roles and beyond, so it's great that this is reflected here.

Inclusive place to work.

This job offers flexibility, security and multiple opportunities to advance further in your career. The management are inclusive of everybody. Policies and procedures are clear to follow and easy to adhere to.

6 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your time at Pets at Home! We appreciate your feedback and it's great to see our inclusion vision that 'everyone's welcome' is reflected.

Stressful and fast paced

Very tiringTakes a massive toll on your body Extreme targets to be met Management not the best Most colleagues are rude and don’t help if you need it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement