Pizza Express

Pizza Express Employee Reviews

I work in pizza express nearly 10 years they pay the minimum wage, card goes 30/ to share with kitchen. They supposonyo help you out when bt they dont do it.Be ready when opening, you must do preps for the kitchencut salads, veggies, chop pasley, mint....Set the whole restaurant, organize the floor ( tables and chairs) make sure you have enough desserts.You got about an hour or less to do that, most of the chef are really rude and demanding.When running the food you must also be ready to make desserts, hot drinks md food during to your customers,take the door and phone calls.All that for the minimum wage and for lunch they onli give you margaritabteo toppings, they will also expect you to sell a lot and if you are in the bottom one they will.punish you.
Pros
They can accomofldate you if you are studying otlr need a day off you can make god money on tips
Cons
They will put you to work 12 hours both days of the weekend.
Things may change post Covid but it was a really flexible job that fitted well with family/work life balance. You can earn double a retail job for the same amount of hours.
Pros
Free pizza, lots of tips to top up wages
Cons
Late nights
Nice and friendly work environment. Could be stressful when busy but overall I enjoyed my time there. Management were always friendly to other staff and on hand when needed
Pre covid Pizza express was a fabulous restaurant to work at , so busy and bustling , and fantastic team as is the case in all the branches I have worked in over the years .. plenty of opportunities to work up the ladder to management as a lot of kitchen porters and waitresses managed to do .Also very easy to transfer branches if you move away to another part of the country or to overseas branches of the company .. A really great company to work for .
Pros
Free lunch, 50% discount off food and drinks when dining in all pizza express branches up to 7 guests
Cons
Could be sometimes so busy breaks had sometimes to be missed
Okay company, however as a AM you are poorly paid, waiters/chefs will earn more than you, you will have to work alone at times due to cutting labour cost. If you have a good RM then you will find it easier.
Managers are condescending, and extremely ungrateful to any good/hard work.The training is very minimal if non existent!You don’t get to keep any cash tips!
Cons
not sure if it was just the one I worked at, but it felt very very clique-y, and wasn't much of a sense of helping others out if struggling.also the manager and co-workers who spoke the same language would just speak over you, all the while you're stood there completely left out of a conversation about work. I have no problem with people speaking with eachother in languages they feel most comfortable with, but when it's regarding the job I'm doing, if im present it made me feel very excluded.tips were pretty good if you're good at your job, however I just disliked working there.
Pros
Free pizza, tips
Cons
Clique-y
Love working at pizza express, have done so for almost 4 years! Very fast paced, tips are great and free meals and coffee on shift. Management is relaxed but firm, great first job!
Pros
Free meals, tips, hours
Cons
Minimum wage
The team I worked with were absolutely wonderful people. My area manager/ branch owner is a blessing to people.The company do not see you as a person. You are a number and you don’t matter. Working here is pretty much a stepping stone.
Pros
Wonderful Staff and fun work
Cons
Head Office is ignorant
Dead during the week and then very busy at the weekends. Overall bad work-life balance, will call last minute for you to come in to work. Shifts can range from a 5 hour close to a 12 hour shift with 15 min break because its so busy. Some management are bad, others horrendous. You get a share of card tips so thats something. Over all the company is dying, Don't do it if you respect yourself.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Where do i start
Do not join pizza express at king street in nottingham, I got offered the job on the day of the interview (strange much)?! And the training was awful, the manger there is a horrible little man who I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to work for.
Cons
Really nice place to work with lovely people and a social job. It can be tiring but everyone’s lovely so it’s okay. It can impact on your social life a bit but not massively.
Pros
Free lunches and nice job.
Cons
Tiring, not very secure hours
I love everything they do from start to the end. Is still one of the best company in the high street.I do suggest to every one . And I have meet great People in this many years I am working there .
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Flexible hours
I worked at pizza express from 2015 to 2020. Was working as a cleaner,then went to work in kitchen pot wash and help chef.would loved to of stayed working for pizza express but unfortunately made redundant in October ,2020.,due to covid 19.management was good.Area management we're really nice.will miss the place.we we're like a dysfunctional family.
Worked on potwash, don’t know how one person is meant to do dishes for a whole restaurant on a busy night. Managers treat and talk to you like rubbish,they think they’re better than you. I hated every minute I was their. Best day of my life was leaving that place
Cons
Very long hours, not alot of time for yourself. Constant pressure and expectations which are completely unrealistic, sometimes you're by yourself with many many tickets.
Over COVID job was not secure if it was I will be happy to stay there they accommodated me going to football on Saturdays it’s a nice friendly place to work
Pros
Free food
Cons
Good break
Very fun and cheerful workplace i like everyone there good place to improve my english and talking skills very savoury and tasty food. And it was my first ever job in the uk
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hard work no appreciation . No overtime for managers. Discrimination, jealousy, leg pulling, rudeness, attitude. If you complain management won’t reply. Everyone pass the ball to another.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Work and life no balance for Assistant managers
Official response from Pizza Express
8 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we are sorry to read your comments - they have been noted and will be reviewed. If you would like to further discuss them, please get in touch with us.
I enjoyed working at Pizza Express, I was there for five years before being made redundant due to covid and company debt. The people that I have met over my time being there are like family, we all have become great friends and meet up on a weekly basis. The company is in a lot of financial debt so for the last year labour has been really tight, this meant that we were short staffed constantly which lead to several complaints each shift as we did not have the appropriate amount of staff on. We were well trained employees and could deal with this however it was very tedious after a while. Five years ago I had no experience working within the hospitality and catering sector and have gained all my knowledge and skills through working at Pizza Express. However, after finding a different job at a similar company it is now evident that the work we did for the company was not appreciated or rewarded. It’s a typical triangle structured business where you as FOH and BOH work very hard on a daily basis with no recognition whereas people in higher roles such as area managers and HO have a very high paid salary with a company car and card and benefits but yet they couldn’t afford an extra chef or waiter on a busy shift because of the constant cut of labour. I honestly feel that people in head office and area managers need to visit restaurant on a weekly basis and understand the pressure in which employees feel, I understand that other restaurants are a lot busier than the one I worked in and there labour (amount of staff working) was far greater. It got to the stage where it was a Friday - more...
Pros
Staff food, 50% off, great people, good tips
Cons
Poor management, delusional area management, no recognition for hard work
  1. Employee reviews