PJ Care

PJ Care Employee Reviews

Not for everyone

I worked briefly as a nurse. The team was fantastic, but I really could have done with some extra training with dealing with difficult and violent behaviour from residents. It has to be remembered that this is the last chance for many residents that come to live there. Infection control is not a strong point; not enough hand wash stations, or any other visible cleaning aids. Re use of medicine pots even though they are use once only; possibly done to save money (although I'm sure turnover is good enough to buy more medicine pots). I thought it'd be a great job but sadly not for me. Training in descalation techniques should be given prior to working, as even with experience I have, I found it difficult. However, it may be the perfect job for one nurse, everyone is different.

Pros

Set shifts

Cons

More training should be provided prior to starting

This company have been amazingly supportive

My daughter became unwell 3 months after starting as a HCA, they have been so supportive Honestly cannot fault them Perfect place to work she loves it

Pros

Supportive management, excellent training

The best!

Easiest 5 stars ive ever given. Working at PJ care gives you such a secure family vibe. The compassion, commitment and care shine through from management to team leaders to HCA'S. The in house training is second to none ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pros

Working with amazing residents

Cons

Long hours, but worth it

Very Fun and Productive work environment

I worked in the kitchen here for 2.5 years, it was an amazing environment and had a really good time getting on with colleges. It really does feel like a family when your working with everyone there.

Pros

Really good benefits packages

Opportunities for all

Always busy, never dull, and it's a pleasure and a privilege to work here. I'm not on the frontline but work to support my colleagues who are and who do an incredible job looking after our, sometimes challenging, residents to ensure they get the best possible outcomes to live their best possible lives.

Pros

Great people!

Cons

For me, they aren't any

A Horrible Company to Work For

This company does not respect its staff and does not value the hard hours that they put in. On a regular day, I was expected to show up 15 minutes early for my shift to take part in a hand-over. This is perfectly reasonable in most situations, but not when they refuse to pay you for those 15 minutes. This played out the same at the end of any shift; you were expected to stay for at least 15 minutes for an unpaid handover.There's a clear attitude from management and executive management that they are above the healthcare workers, cleaners, maintenance staff, kitchen staff etc. Anyone working on the floor is treated as expendable. They clearly do not no the work that we do, and have no respect for it. And whilst they promise that they have options available for training for and career development, you'll likely be running for the hills before you've been there long enough to consider taking them up on these offers.

Pros

Potential to do training and achieve new qualifications through the company.

Cons

Long shifts with unpaid 30 minutes of handover every shift, No respect for floor staff, Disgusting management style, Very low team morale, Micromanagement and zero trust, Tiny staff break room that's always over-crowded, Minimum wage is not suitable for carers doing such intensive work

Worst three months of my life!

I worked for this company for three months and I have to say it was the worst three months of my life! The head chef is terrible. He's rude and arrogant. He undermined me my entire time with the company and would not let me work to the fullest extent of my abilities.I never received any proper training as nobody wanted to do it as a result I was often left on potwash for hours on end. As for the actual potwasher, he was receiving train on how to do the job I was hired to do!There was some pros to the job. The other kitchen team members were friendly and you get four days off every other week. Plus regular covid testing!

Pros

Lots of time off.

Cons

Long hours, horrendous management, lack of training.

Loved it

I retired from here recently and have to say that I loved nearly every minute of my 4 years here, if my campervan wasn't calling so hard I would have loved to stay for another 4.The job here is not easy, but the people we look after have very specialist needs that we have to cater for, and when you put the effort in the rewards are fantastic, no matter how tired I was at the end of a shift I always felt good.There is lot sof training available not just in a classroom but online (which is ok when you get used to it) and while you work too. I saw a lot of the senior managers and directors as they are often on the floor working with staff and residents.I didn't takae advantage of all the benefits available but I know there are lots of them. I always felt supported and looked after and there was always someone who could answer a question.I will miss PJ Care

Pros

Cons

The work is hard but rewarding

terrible place to work

Worked for PJ Care as a nurse briefly. Good money and looked amazing on the surface but once there, not so much. They have really good facilities and well staffed and they have some very capable and caring staff. The other units seemed stable and gave pretty good care but mine was something else. I have never seen so much verbal and physical aggression towards staff and between residents. Saw quite a few staff being injured by residents with no debrief, care or subsequent action being taken. Highlighted serious confidentiality issues, staff/resident safety issues (violence, abuse, threats etc) and safeguarding issues but either ignored or played down. I was injured myself and was not looked after in any shape or form. Also, the many directors made sweeping clinical decisions despite most having no clinical background at the cost of staff/resident welfare or rights. Very hierarchical there. The place is unique in what it offers and has immense potential but in my experience, not a place that will allow for progressive, autonomous and evidence based nursing more of a 'do as you're told' culture rather than 'what' do you think?' Directors/managers live in cuckoo land, obsessed with their staff benefits, how they are portrayed in media and 'marching people out of the door' if not happy with them as I kept hearing. However, to be fair to them, resident care was pretty good but mainly due to the hard work and genuine care of minimum waged carers. I wish I had never applied. Could have done things better myself admittedly but remember, they are a business and if you pipe up and dare -

Pros

excellent facilities, good pay (nurses), well staffed and set work pattern

Cons

lots of bullying, staff in tears, risk to own safety

Friendly staff, good benefits, good relaxed atmosphere. Good chance to learn and advance, apprenticeship choices and various training opportunities. Staff helpful.

Not good

My experience was a negative one. Good day there, was the day I handed in my notice and the best was the day I left!! I would definitely not recommend.

no insight, no career progression, poor pay and management

things might have changed since i was last employed with PJ care, but pay was awful, £6.52 an hour, 12 hour days/ nights, massive high turn over of staff, lack of management. we did'nt have a manager for months, not enough for the residents to do during the day. occasionally got to have a day out with the use of the company vans but once in a blue moon.

Horrible place to work

They work you like a slave for 12 hours! The management speak to you like you are nothing and treat you so unfair. The place is so stressful it is not worth your time or energy on it. All you will be doing is either washing up cleaning or making sandwiches all day everyday it’s boring as is the same thing day in day out! You get shouted at if you do one little thing wrong as well. The staff are so rude and unpleasant to work with. You won’t learn nothing here as they don’t have time to teach you anything as they are always flapping. So if you are looking for a job which you get spoken down to day in day out then this will be a job for you!

Pros

Cons

Everything!

Kind and welcoming enviroment

PJ Care was a delight to work for. My main contacts were within the Sales team, HR and Front desk. Everyone was very kind and helpful. The company really cares for all of it's staff and treats everybody fairly.

A great place to work!

This is my first job in care and I am really enjoying it all. Staff are really helpful and happy and the company is so friendly. I was worried about working in care but now I am very happy that I do!

Pros

Very friendly and great support.

Great staff

Love this place and have worked here for about 6 months. Unit Manager is fantastic having worked extremely hard to get the unit up and running after a few months without one. Previous Unit Manager was also wonderful but had to leave due to personal reasons. Staff very friendly and caring. Great nurses who work hard. You do need a sense of humour as there is a lot of fun here. Staff room available and you can buy lunch from the kitchen at a really good price, the food is great. Or just bring your own 😋

Pros

Great team work, great atmosphere

Great benefits

great company to work for, the benefits are good. Staff friendly. This opportunity just came at the wrong time for myself. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Pros

cheap lunches, lots of benefits

Cons

12 hour shifts

Excellent employer

Their commitment to staff working conditions and training is excellent. Genuine interest in there well-being. Management have an open door policy. Very relaxed environment to work in.

productive and fun workplace

It is a hardworking job with lots of responsibilities but comes with even more benefits and fulfilment. The hardest part of the job is letting go of residents in my opinion.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PJ Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement