Police Scotland

Police Scotland Employee Reviews

United Kingdom140 reviews

policeofficerincidentcolleaguepublicvariedshiftdeal

Ok

Job definitely has its ups and downs. Money is good thats all really for me. Not a good work life balance. However can be a excellent career if you want it to be.

Politics get in the way

Great job and you can help people however the work is never appreciated. Management distance themselves from staff on the floor creating a them and us atmosphere. Team leaders use bully tactics and are only interested if you're in their team. Management are very detached from day to day as a service advisor.

Pros

Job security

Cons

No team ethos bully and blame culture

Insights into Police Scotland

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Difficult but rewarding

Working as a police constable has been extremly difficult, especially with how short staffed it can be. It is very rewarding at times as you get to help people out in their most desperate times. A lot of the calls you receive are mental health based and it can be very difficult to progress your own enquiries into crimes due to this

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Shift work can be difficult

Work here if you want to coast to retirement

Old school cultureNothing progresses, if your title in snr enough people will not take you seriously. Don't waste your time unless you want a career break

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Everything else

Job satisfaction

Working for police Scotland gives you the opportunity to achieve job satisfaction, help people and no day is the same. Like anywhere else there will be incapable and capable colleagues and difficult people to deal with but the secret is to manage your managers and learn something new every day. I’d recommend a career with the police.

service advisor

i was a service advisor taking 999 and 101 calls and all I would say to anyone considering it, Do not do it! You will get the same or better pay doing a 9-5 elsewhere.

Long and repetetive shifts - the worst role in the organisation.

Anyone applying to join the Contact, Command and Control (C3 Division) as a Service Advisor - I would highly recommend you think twice. The role of Service Advisor answering 101 and emergency 999 calls is fantastically advertised and attracts a lot of applicants due to an above average salary and shift patterns. I was under the impression it wouldn’t be like a normal call centre job. I was very wrong. Firstly, if you think you will be answering 999 emergency calls, then think again. All you will be for the first while is answer non-emergency 101 calls, which are extremely repetitive and most of the time are not police matters. You will not be trained to answer 999 calls for some time and will be used for 101 calls only. The Service Centre is very similar to any other call centre. You will be timed and monitored if not available for calls, or away to the toilet for example. There is literally no down time and you will be constantly monitored and micro-managed by Team Leaders and management. There is also no scope for promotion. Very few staff members may go onto work within the Area Control Rooms, but these posts do not get advertised often. I joined Police Scotland as a Service Advisor because I wanted to work in a fast paces and exciting environment. I wanted to help people in emergency or crisis situations and be the first person to help them. This is not the case at all. I was more of a glorified switchboard operator/receptionist for the organisation. If you are considering applying for Service Advisor, please think long and hard.

Pros

Good pension, reasonably good pay, free parking

Cons

Long hours, call-centre environment, poor management, repetetive calls

Productive workplace with good team ethos

Very good employers, allowed you to work with the minimum of supervision, open and trusting. Treated well during the Covid period and allowed to work alternate weeks.

Pros

Flexible Working

Cons

Agency work, little work security

Police Scotland

Stay away. This is not the job that you think it is. Talk to some serving officers to get an insight into what it really entails and how beyond low the staff morale is. If you want to suffer and become a walking zombie then go for it.

Busy workload

Demanding occupation with several work patterns which may impact on your work/ life balance. High work load which you will be expected to manage often with tight time constraints and may require you to remain on duty long after your tour of duty. New pension rules require you to work till 60.

Pros

Security

Cons

Depending on shift pattern. Family time will suffer

Varied work, something for everyone, feels like too few operational workers and too many office based workers ,

Pros-Job security and vast variety of roles, something for everyone.Cons- Insufficient personnel, large amount of paperwork and not enough time to complete paperwork

Good employer but you are just a number

Since becoming Police Scotland you are just a number.Supportive in certain aspects but "get on with it" in others. Some Line Managers better than others.Resilience cover in certain areas non existent if off.Reorganisation in some areas certainly not for the better and Job Evaluations were just a paper exercise - a waste of employees time.The best bit is colleagues you work with - majority support one and other through everything and there for each other.It should never have become one - should have been split North, South, East and West. Systems are old at times and often go down - causing frustration.

Great place to work. Not for the faint hearted

Great career if you can put up with the unsociable hours. Missing, birthdays, Christmas's and family events. People are great and immediate line managers are usually helpful.

Pros

Highly rewarding, good training opertunies. Lots of different specialisms

Cons

Long hours, days off cancelled at short notice. Stressful

Works for the right people.

It's a massive company and I suppose it differs from station and division. I would not recommend or discourage people to apply but just do your research first and see if the role is right for you.

Superb management who are supportive and inclusive.

Best job I’ve ever had. Fantastic people who are like family and look out for each other. Rewarding in the fact that you serve your community and make it a safer happier place to live.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Lack of respect from minority for the commitment you put into the job.

Zero work life balance

Wages are good but doesn't out weigh the negatives. Always a fight to get holidays police officers have priority over civilian staff. No work life balance no assistance with a work life balance not staff focused only a number. Needs a shake up in management.

Good place to work but difficult role

I worked for police Scotland for only a few months in what was a difficult role. It was challenging and a little to much for me. However training was good and management supportive

Pros

Free lunch during training

Cons

Long hours and shift work

Stressful, poor management and difficult colleagues.

This can be the best job in the world but poor management often leads to very poor morale.Some colleagues are very difficult to work with and this can cause additional stress as good strong team working is essential.The fact police can only do their job because they "police by the consent of the people" is lost on most employees unfortunately and integrity and respect is sorely lacking within Police Scotland.

Pros

Pay and pension.

Cons

Long hours, shift work, poor management, lack of empathy and understanding of mental health, neurodiversity and societal issues leading to crime and drug use.

Very difficult and stressful job

Pros: excellent job security, extremely varied, salary goes up every year, get to make a genuine difference.Cons: horrible work/life balance due to shift pattern/unsocial hours, resourcing is very low and staff rarely get a break on shift, welfare is awful, exposure to dangerous situations, high workload, difficult to progress, salary isn't high enough for the work involved

Not for Everyone.

Long hours, shift work night, days, back shifts. Breaks sometimes they do exist. Workload is just huge. Things to learn a lot. People you deal with not so great.

Pros

Not a boring day to day job

Cons

Shift work, long hours.

Hi Stress, dynamic and time critical

If I had the choice, at my age I would not be working shifts, however not everyone has my experience and it is fulfilling when the end results are positive.

Pros

Cons

Certain empathy required

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Police Scotland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement