Portafina

Portafina Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom24 reviews

workinggreatworklunchmanagementteamhardfriendly

Portafina is a great place to work!

The best thing about working at Portafina is that Im free to choose my own path. My role in the Systems department allows me to research and implement new technologies that not only further Portafina's goals but allow me to develop my technical skills that can further my own career.

Pros

- Hosts free events / parties - Vouchers for christmas - Birthday off

Cons

- Sometimes external training and equipment is hard to get signed off

Very difficult/unprofessional working here as a newbie

I had only worked for Portafina briefly but the experience I had with them was not great. When applying for the job they added many benefits that you do not actually receive.You only get a couple days of training and are then given very unrealistic and difficult targets that you are expected to meet. You get little to barely any help from management if you are struggling. There are a few nice staff that will help you as management are useless. If you do not meet the targets set or do not fit in with the team dynamic, you are treated differently from the get go. Portafina more so treat you as a object rather than a person. They don’t seem to comprehend that you have a life outside of work. If any issues arise where you can’t be at work it is made to be a serious problem. They aren’t too keen on people having annual leave either unless you have a ‘valid’ reason. The management are very unprofessional and only care about the work you are doing rather than caring about you as an individual. I do not recommend working for this company unless you work like a robot.

Insights into Portafina

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

Toxic Enviroment & High Turnover

Where to even start...They have an extremely high turnover in all departments- so many people joining and then being laid off a couple of weeks later, including myself. I knew it was only a matter of time before I was next.You're given a 5 minute break morning and afternoon but get criticised if you take them. Someone is always peering over your shoulder to make sure that you're pushing yourself to the limits. You're constantly questioned about your lunch break, with people expecting you to get back to work as quickly as possible.You'll hear the words 'work hard, play hard' a lot... which basically means you're expected to attend a bunch of social events outside of work whilst burning yourself out during the week. I was promised formal training & support but received neither- a couple of nice co-workers had to take it upon themselves to help me. My manager was rarely about.Managers all talk about each other, and people from other departments, behind their backs. Always hushed whispers from one corner or another. Very cliquey and toxic atmosphere. A lot of people, including managers, vying for individual status instead of building healthy team/ inter-department relationships.Most of the 5/4 * reviews are from current employees.Portafina wants to create an image of care and devotion to their employees, but the actions of the management contradict this. It's all for show.The only real benefit is that you get your birthday off... assuming that you last that long.

Pros

You get your birthday off

Cons

You'll probably be laid off after two weeks

Nice people

Made sure everyone could work throughout lock down. Quite fast paced but great for career progression - sad to leave and regret it now.Help getting through exams, great if starting out in this industry.

Pros

Lunches, cakes and other treats are welcomed surprises

Cons

Not an enjoyable work place

Management not great, treated like a minion, work load is pretty stressful, when you ask for help the support isn’t there, the management is very very out of touch with their work staff and just creates a horrendous environment, wouldn’t recommend working here

Workplace

All our work is reflected on our dashboards, I enjoy that as you know what you have and can get on with it. We get our monthly targets so you know what is expected of us. My team is always there to help, and we always looking at ways to improve our team by either training or ideas to improve our systems of work. My Manger is a leader, she wants us to grow our experience and get the best out of us workwise. Our work parties are always fun, the people at Portafina are encouraged to improve themselves by examinations and rewarded when they achieve their goals.

Pros

Lunch, Ice-cream, little gifts, Rewards for achievements, flexible working hours

Cons

Traffic leaving after work - can be busy

Great Place to Work

My normal working day is from 8am - 4pm, and I work 3 days a week in the office and 2 days remotely from home.My typical work activities are broken down into projects (most of which lasting approximately 3 months), but there are also smaller, ad-hoc pieces of work that come-up on a daily basis as well.The varied nature of my work means that I'm generally given lots of opportunities to learn new things and I'm also actively encouraged by the company's management to pursue specific areas that interest me if doing so would also be beneficial to the company in some way.However, while I would also say that the variety of work activities in my role can be a blessing at times, it can also feel like a bit of a curse in others (i.e, if I'm working on a project that fits my specific skillset and/or is going relatively well then everything's great, but if I'm working on something that doesn't and I feel forced to persevere through it, it can occasionally be harder to stay motivated).The best part of the job is the friendly and inclusive work environment and how - even when you're struggling with something (be it professional or personal) - the company is always prepared to listen to and/or help you provided you show it the same amount of respect.

Pros

Good people and a good work culture, Varied work activities from day-to-day, Additional day of Annual Leave on your birthday and other small perks.

Cons

Some tasks are more enjoyable than others - but that's the same anywhere!

Working at Portafina is like working with your family in a professional environment. Everyone is so happy to support and help you.Strong values and the customer does matter which is important to me. However, management also cares about individuals, great work life balance.Portafina work hard to support their customers but also support staff with fun activities and benefits.

Stressful and Unsupportive

The people at the company are friendly however on my first day i was given a position which wasn't what had been presented to me at the interview.I was at the company for over six months and was kept on probation the whole time as you are not entitled to bonuses while on probation.You have appointments back to back so you either have to rush a client off the phone or run late for the entire day. Lunch breaks aren't scheduled into the diaries so you have to try and eat while working.Being verbally abused on the phones is a regular occurrence as is staying late unpaid. Compliance and management are on completely different pages and give conflicting information.Boards are displayed in the office showing work scores for the day this means you are encouraged to cut corners as you are praised or belittled depending on where you place on the board for the day/week.Aside from the people the only positive i would give the company is that they are willing to pay for exams.

One of the worst

Still one of the worst placed I've ever worked but at least they're profitable unlike others I've seenVery clique-y and management isn't great. Very unrealistic standards for newbies. Maybe things have changed since I worked there though.

No support, care or help

No one supports you even when asking for help, then they sack you when you don’t reach targets. Unrealistic targets set for new starters. Very intense call centre like environment to work in.

Pros

Boss bought lunch sometimes

Cons

No support or help from managers or colleagues

Terrible

Wet stressful and no help there when you need guidance in work load. Also the boss has favourites and if your not in the click then your an outsider

Pros

Free lunch and friends I made

Cons

Hours, money, bosses/management

happy and secure work place

i have been working here for 5 years now and i feel so comfortable and relaxed , i enjoy coming to work and doing my work which i never have felt in any of my past jobs, made so many new friends and everyone is really nice and makes anyone feel welcome.

Pros

great party's, rewards for Christmas, birthday voucher and day off

Cons

lunch break only half an hour

A great place to work

Portafina is a great place to work - There is the perfect balance of work and fun. They are constantly encouraging employees to develop their career and strive for higher positions within the company by giving responsibility, taking exams etc. The office is a very relaxed and friendly place to work where you can easily settle in within a week or two. Hard work is always noticed and rewarded. They always welcome feedback on how to improve.

Pros

Relaxed, great support for progression, good employee benefits.

Cons

The Compliance system of marking work is demotivating, usually bad traffic on the estate after work, would like more flexible hours or the option to work from home.

Relaxed atmosphere

Very relaxed atmosphere and a family vibe on most teams. There is a great social committee that organises seasonal events and individual days where staff are treated to free lunches/treats. Birthday and Christmas vouchers are given to all staff and a fuss is made for people celebrating other events (getting married, having a baby, retiring etc). All staff are encouraged to progress within the company and this is heavily driven by taking external exams. There is an internal exam for all staff to take in order to pass their probationary period. This aspect is good if your aim is to progress and be successful in financial services, however if you are looking to complete a role without the additional knowledge required to climb the professional ladder then this may not be for you. All exams and training materials are funded by the company (exam re-takes must be funded by the individual). The managing director is very involved with staff and has an open door policy which makes them very approachable.

Pros

Great social committee and events.

Cons

Employee success is exam driven

Portafina is a great place to work. The company is very supportive and encourages professional development. There is a relaxed atmosphere in the office and everyone is friendly and helpful. Those who go above and beyond are rewarded for their hard work.

Pros

Great culture, Company is very supportive with professional development, Opportunities for career progression, Brilliant employee benefits.

Cons

Sometimes there is traffic getting off of the estate.

A great place to work

It was a great place to work for. The company environment is generally pretty relaxed, but of course there are times when it can be intense like any company. The management try there best to listen and everyone seems to be working towards the same goal.

Pros

Great team environment, friendly people

Cons

Not always clear on the direction

Where to even begin...

Working at Portafina was more than painful, each day felt more stressful than the last and seemingly it didn’t get better. With such a high turnover of staff, the workload just got more and more yet management didn’t seem to do anything about it. When concerns were raised, nothing happened and months later when the same issues were raised, management had seemingly forgotten it had already been mentioned. Alongside this, the bonus structure is constantly changing which makes making money a struggle month in month out. Couldn’t recommend this company at all, it’s too toxic for what it’s worth.

Stressful and fruitless

Misinformation from a poor management team downwards. Lack of incentives for job progression, career enhancement. Management team consists of those who were willing to brown nose

Oh boy

Their turnover is very, very high. I was let go after my performance and apparently my attitude as well were too poor. I was constantly told to do the wrong things by the other girls on the team, which brought my score down every day. The team didn't like me because I didn't watch Love Island or say "like" 37484738 times a day, so they wanted me gone. I know two others who were let go in similar ways. This job made my anxiety dreadful. I was told to be quiet when I tried getting to know the other girls while everyone else could talk freely. You're also only allowed two five minute breaks on top of a 30 minute lunch break and they work you like a robot. If you're one of the few to pass probation, you get really good perks but that's likely to make up for everything else. Please don't apply here.

Family orientated & Motivated Company

I enjoyed working for Portafina. My managers where excellent and genuinely cared for us, and wanted you to do well. Some of the targets where unrealistic and meant achieving your bonus was a rare and the way your work is checked is incredibly demotivating. That aside, I loved the work and my colleagues, and the company is very transparent with the MD running quarterly meeting the whole company attends. They also have a fun committee, so events are regular and they’re brilliant!

Pros

Interesting work & friendly colleagues

Cons

Low pay for an IFA & bonus was hard to achieve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portafina. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Portafina with

Learn about Portafina in popular locations

• Portafina