Powys Teaching Health Board

Powys Teaching Health Board Employee Reviews

This was a fun and rewarding job emphasise on WAS !! Development is available but sadly not in the Estates Department although lots of other Departments encourage and help staff to undertake a wide variety of skills to enhance their careers.
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
I got employed as a bank driver just before lockdown. It's 8 months later and I still haven't had my training so I finally left after waiting for so long. I received very infrequent contact, sometimes months apart, and what communication I did receive was ambiguous and left me even more confused. The uncertainty and painfully slow enrolment process caused me unnecessary stress. You'd think that a health board would be properly organised but its just poorly run - they haven't a clue. They seriously need to have a good think about how they organise their department because this leaves people feeling unsupported and forgotten about. I know of many others who feel the same and are just fed up.
Pros
Flexible hourse
Cons
Poorly managed
Too many busy bodies in the organisation in higher up jobs doing very little. During 'covid' no staff care, reduced hours little admin or anything getting done with the excuse of 'covid' constantly given. Meanwhile nurses and the like are out there getting on with the job with ppe etc. The 'actionpoint' online help system is useless, telephone lines do not get through and while the patients and area is lovely the admin and management of the health board is truly shocking hence why i left. You really are treated like a number, not an individual, and if your in north powys and have an employee related problem or anything you have to ring through down south, wait weeks and still sometimes problem not solved. No access to payslip even after leaving even though was lied to by admin saying it was 'getting posted out'. Truly shocking health board to work for, and even my line managers and colleagues have an awful experience. The NHS benefits itself are good, but PTHB is awful. Even pre covid the management is too busy making silly policies and changes all the time with meetings while the clinical staff are rushed off their feet.
Pros
Nhs benefits, annual leave
Cons
Poor management, no employer care
Powys is a large, rural county, that doesn't have it's own general hospital. This highlights the challenge of providing health services to a relatively small population over a large area. The environment is wonderful, however there can be a lot of travelling. Probably the biggest barrier to working for this employer, is the cost of housing, which limits the choice for a single income family.
This is a small health board who are really keen to invest in your development. The small teams means that you work really closely with different staff groups and are able to really broaden your horizons and learn about different areas of work.
Pros
15 minute wellbeing break on top of lunch, keen to develop staff, feels like a family
Cons
Can involve quite a bit of travel
Prepare . Research. Know the area. Bilingual helpfull. Will probably need to drive. Multidisciplinary. Great company to work for. No DGH it's only draw back.