Pret A Manger
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Pret A Manger Employee Reviews in St Albans

Worked in this company for a year.Typical day at work would be clearing tables,working on tills,coffee machine,making hot and cold food.This company promises you pay above minimum wage,but they will slave your for every extra penny,that they pay you.Manager constantly cutting hours,to get their bonus(managers only).So we are always understaffed.They have high standards to ask you to smile constantly and have everything perfect at all times,but by cutting hours some staff are forced to work for 3 people or so fast,that you are literally catching your breath and running a marathon from the minute you start to shift to the end of it.Constantly being dehydrated at work,because you are not allowed to keep your water bottle while working(often felt thirsty and having headaches).Sometimes didn't even have time to go to bathroom properly.And I have been used to hard work in busy places my whole life as I worked in fast paced food industry for more than 10 years.They have mystery shopper bonus,but lately it was also a fail as they will ask you allergen related question and you have to direct them to Team leader or manager so technically they will take over and you loose your chance for outstanding service bonus,which you can get if your service is excellent(100£ or 200£).The best part of this place was my colleagues,that I worked with.When I started,some of them were so experienced and working many years-I learned a lot from them.But through this one year at least 8 long term staff has left,few of them working 5 years at least because of manager,that doesn't care about their staff,doesn't - more...
Pros
free food, paid brakes, weekly bonus
Cons
Bad managment
Most of the managers I encountered while working in several stores were very positive and passionate about the work they do and Pret A Manger as a company. This usually helped for the whole team to stay motivated and provide excellent service to customers and great work environment. There is always opportunities to become a leader of different sections of the store, which keeps things exciting for long-term staff members. You only got paid LIVING WAGE if you pass the mystery shopper report. Even if you did a great job the whole week, an other staff member would make a mistake, and you would be underpaid for that reason. It seemed like most of the managers almost had religious believes towards Pret a Manger.
No such thing as a typical day in this place, the environment is fast paced, fluid and ever changing. The hardest part of the job is the long shifts, but this is more than made up by my team and the interaction with our customers.