Pret A Manger
View all Pret A Manger reviews

Pret A Manger

Pret A Manger Employee Review

Avoid working here.

Pret seem to get rid of staff during probationary period. You get no support for your personal issues. Very unprofessional & management are very rude and act like they’re above everyone.

1.0Job security/advancement

Same role

perfect effort/pay balance

Been here for the past 3 years and a half where I thought I'd work for 6 months or so. The pay is good enough for the retail environment but there's something special about Pret. You have the power to give things on the house (of course there's a limit), but seeing the customers getting a little surprise be it a coffee or a cookie on the house really made my day.You could become barista (make cool coffees in the front) or hot chef (put your music in the back and cook good and easy stuff) after the initial team member training and later be offered the position of a team leader (not really worth it in my opinion). Had to leave because of moving but it's a nice place to work, the pay is the same for all ages and above minimum wage and it goes up every april and also you get mystery bonus and early start bonuses and night shift hours bonus too so the pay could really add up (especially with the holiday top up thing they have). They also pay weekly so you never have to check your money, their platform for requesting time off is really friendly and you get free healthy food on shift. Cool!

Pros

Free food, weekly pay, nice environment

Cons

sometimes when it's too busy and someone calls sick you have to prepare as usual
Same role

Used to be great, terrible after the cutbacks

I was based in one of their stores in the south, was always very busy but also manageable. It was good pay and you always got your contracted hours, plus paid breaks and a £1 bonus per hour if your shop passed a mystery shopper bonus.Our store got shut down and we all got made redundant. A few months later I managed to get a position for the same old role I had as a barista, but in a different town.Staff were all exhausted, like my previous it was still busy, but every day was overwhelming and undermanned. The £1 bonus was scrapped, paid breaks were scrapped, our slightly higher than average wages didn't rise with the April minimum wage increase, so we had essentially had a pay cut - and in general everyone had to do a lot more for less. A couple of members of staff had a mental breakdown in my time working.Both sites employ lovely people with a great work ethic, but in the end that's not enough to make you stay and the new post covid grind will wear you down. I actually quite liked the individual shop management, but the company in general is now tight and cutting back wherever it thinks it can. Personally I believe there are far better paid and less stressful jobs out there for similar positions, and I would not recommend working for Pret in its current state.

Pros

Free lunches, guaranteed contracted hours, seems to employ staff with great work ethic

Cons

Long hours, always busy, understaffed, previous bonuses and incentives all cut, expected to always work more than contracted hours/ poor work life balance, poor pay
Same location

Not the best

I worked for Pret more than 3 years and i dont know why i stayed that long. After covid19 they stoped paying bonuses, no paid breaks, and no pay rises.You need to run like crazy to satisfy company needs. Sometimes they put you 13 days in a row without any day offHealth and safety is very important and mandatory. However its not possible to follow all guidelines because off no staff or etc. early mornings made me very tired. Sometimes after late afternoon shifts i needed to work early morning. However team and management was nice, but i would avoid to work for this company if you want to be happy and have some free time.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Not paid enough for what you do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare Pret A Manger with

• Pret A Manger
  • Avoid working here.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?