Pret A Manger
Pret A Manger Employee Review

This job can annihilate every piece of humanity inside of you.

5 March 2018
You start work at 4:30 in the morning when its dark and you finish at 16:30 when its dark again in the winter and you spend your whole day in the kitchen without windows where its very very cold, 4-5 degree and you are required to wear the short sleeved uniform because they are always under staffed and you might have to run on till at any point of the day. There is painfully loud music in the kitchen so that you dont talk with the others because this is slowing you down and you have a timer that beeps every so minutes and you have to race and assemble sandwiches as fast as you can which is like a game at first but it becomes very stressful with time and you are always late, always behind and if you somehow manage to finish for the time set the next day they give you more stuff to make in the same time. Its all about productivity. I spend 6 months racing all day and barely spoke 3-5 words a day on my shifts if I'm not on till where you are required to have the widest fake smile on earth, highly pitched voice and again be as fast as possible, its all a race. Everywhere its very noisy and very busy and you are always behind and the stress builds up so much that me and many of my colleagues had to take pills for sleep because you hear the noise in your head when you get home after work and we had this random mental break downs where you are crying on your lunch break without any real reason, its just tears coming out of your eyes and you cant stop. The giant corporation is making wealth from squeezing every drop of "productivity" from the employees and when people break and quit - more...
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Free food. As many extra hours as you want.
Cons
You will loose everything that makes you human.
12 September 2018
Same location
Team Member Star (Former Employee) - St. Andrews, Fife
I learned how to deal with customers compassionately and patiently, while also being efficient. My manager was kind and understanding which made working here pleasurable.
Pros
always extra shifts
Cons
sometimes would be expected to close then open the next day
24 February 2021
Team Member (Current Employee) - Salisbury
There's so much to learn at Pret and you get trained in all areas. My colleagues are so helpful and supportive and they make me feel comfortable. The manager and assistant manager gives me tasks to focus on each week to help me progress and get me out my comfort zone because that's when you learn the most. My colleagues are always helping me and showing me new things to learn.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee. Staff discount when you're not working
23 February 2021
Team Member (Former Employee) - London, UK
Poor treatment from the management. The staff are not looked after as should happen in a business. Promises are made but not kept. HR was not helpful. High staff turnover.
  1. This job can annihilate every piece of humanity inside of you.