Priory Medical Group

Priory Medical Group Employee Reviews

Insights into Priory Medical Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Isolating

Good team but required a lot of line working - not a lot of management support.Greater level of autonomy required for nurses would improve the service.

Pros

Community work - interesting/challenging

Cons

Isolating - no team supprt

Poor working environment and biased management

Overall the experience was poor working for Priory medical group. No job satisfaction as good performance was never acknowledged or praise given especially during very testing times. Staff members can be hostile and unfriendly creating not enjoyable working environment

Pros

Cons

Unfriendly staff

Weird Management Set Up

I loved the work, the colleagues were great, some lovely, lovely people, but the management kills what could be a fantastic place to work.The surgery team leaders are usually promoted from reception staff. They don't need, and in many cases don't have any management experience. Experience in managing staff doesn't really matter though, as there are two managers 'upstairs' that micro manage the team leaders, making the whole atmosphere awkward and tense. The team leaders daren't make a decision (no matter how small) without putting it past 'upstairs'. This isn't great as they rarely, if ever visit the surgeries, rather staying behind their computers, sending out sarcastic and unhelpful emails.

Pros

Free biscuits

Cons

Management hierarchy

Stressful - If your face fits

Management only care about money and themselves. The staff work really hard for peanuts. Doctors are pandered to and they are very demanding. Expected to work overtime yet constantly get the wages wrong and it can take months to rectify.

Toxic Environment and Leadership Useless

I joined Priory Medical Group a few months ago and left swiftly. The atmosphere is toxic and the management/Human Resources couldn’t have any less interest if they tried. Sadly it has potential to be excellent under the right leadership but currently it’s a place worth avoiding as there are many more practices that offer a more welcoming and supportive environment.

Pros

Cons

Poor leadership. Uncaring.

Still Employed 15 +years

I have worked for Priory Medical Group a long time and I have moved roles within the practice .I feel there are good prospects for promotion and progression within the company having experienced this myself.Training is excellent and always updating from on line training to group discussions and role play.I have always been supported and encouraged by management and have always felt my line managers approachchable.HR are also very approachable and have been supportive on numerous occasions and given advice where needed.Appraisals and One -One Meetings done regularly for all staff.Staff Social events and better communication than ever through Twitter , Private PMG Staff group on Facebook and regular communication email 'Comms' everyday about events .This communication from PMG enables staff to make comments and replys to be answered quickly and efficiently.Everyone within all sites are friendly and helpful without exception.Some roles could do with a pay increase for all the work they do but unfortunately pay is in line with other GP surgeries around York and it is the going rate which should be reviewed across York Primary Care.I love my current role and I have loved working all my years at PMG and shall continue to do a job which is challenging satisfying and rewarding knowing your helping others .

Pros

Friendly People, Management & Job Satisfaction

Cons

Toxic environment with unrealistic targets

PMG work closely with a recruitment agency and I secured an admin role at PMG through the agency. The agency sold the job to me as being a laid-back and fun role. The reality is that this couldn't be further from the truth. The job was highly stressful and took a toll on my (and a number of my colleagues) mental health. I decided to leave the role as management had a tendency to set unrealistic targets and then come down in a heavy handed manner upon anyone who fell short of these targets rather than offer constructive advice. This soon became tiresome and led me to resent the management and lose motivation. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that a few weeks after meeting with management about workload and feeling that my concerns were going to be addressed, management further increased the targets we had to reach.I would have gladly carried on working at PMG if the targets we had to meet were lowered. My colleagues in admin were friendly and supportive but management's stance to obsess about targets at the expense of staff morale and wellbeing made the job intolerable.

Pros

Cons

management, workload

A large amount of work for minimum reward.

My journey started off positive and relaxed. The co-workers, receptionists and HR staff were all genuinely nice to me. The work was not too overwhelming to begin with. Unfortunately, it went downhill quickly from there.Patient Records is supposed to have numerous permanent staff members that are competent in the role to be able to keep up with the huge workload. However, because of temps, terminations and staff leaving quickly due to stress the department was almost consistently understaffed; I was the longest running member of the department after only 5 months. I have never seen staff turnover like it before and it only added additional stress to me and the other new starters. Quite literally all work is urgent, requires 100% accuracy, you need to work at super speed, carrying a huge weight of responsibility and professionalism making you accountable for all mistakes, in a workplace with poor technology that is slow and crashes constantly (though I am told new computers are coming) and outdated systems that make completing the role frustrating. This is all in exchange for the lowest pay possible.Management has unrealistic expectations for its staff that even though the daily tasks are a struggle enough, they often ask for even more such as writing guides, reading and completing many documents and finishing your online training in addition to everything else. Management are obsessed with figures and must always know the exact numbers of everything completed and still to do on both a daily and monthly basis. And considering you will usually be processing over a hundred -

Pros

A wonderful set of co-workers

Cons

Endless urgent work to be completed meticulously and hastily, old technology, low pay.

Fantastic People

The people you work with are amazing, they truly make it better in every way. The company is also fantastic and tries to make everyone feel involved and a part of something amazing. Not only that, but the NHS still stands strong through any adversity, and I am proud to say i worked for it! The management broke that for me though, a bad combination of unrealistic expectations and heavy micro-management make for a toxic combination.

Awful Company to work for!

Reasons not to work here: 1. Toxic work environment, created by management constant over watching with no positive input only negative, you are never told when you are doing a good job or working well above your station and pay grade ( which becomes expected of you due to the company being incapable of retaining staff or replacing them). 2. Management are reactive and clueless, which creates a hectic work environment management do not understand how long tasks take and what can be done in a day, so have outlandish expectations of what can be done in a day, also is frustrating when you are told to do one thing in the morning and then asked in the afternoon why something else has not been done by the same person who told you to do something else. 3. HR are on management side and are dismissive of people’s concerns and their needs, do not expect anything from them if you work here. Some times the don’t eve know names of people who have been there for several months. 4. So much is expected of you for less and less, you are near on expected to be a medical professional in some parts of the job, when staff leave and are not replaced for months which happened first hand to myself and many others, you are told you have to pick up their hours in overtime but due to poor recruitment these people will not be replaced for months, and then management will ask you why things are not getting done even if you are 2/3 people short of a team and are working 12+ hours overtime a week. 5. Salary is poor and not reflective of the amount of pressure you will be under. 6. No employee benefits -

Friendly place to work: Every day brings a new and exciting challenge

Every day brings a new and exciting challenge (in a good way!), I am certainly never bored. Likewise I feel incredibly well supported, both by my direct managers, the HR team, and by practice senior management. All of whom have taken the time to have a chat with me, share advice, and make sure I’m okay. It is clear that Priory is a warm and friendly place to work, something which is refreshing. The practice is large enough to have clout, but yet I feel like everyone takes the time to get know each other on some level. There is a real sense of comradery in the team, and a mutual respect. In other health settings I have found a discord between administrative staff and clinical staff, this is certainly not true here. Everyone treats each other as equals, I think this is a real asset.

Pros

Friendly place to work, supportive managers, free tea & coffee, Exciting work!

Interesting place to work

I used to work for Openreach but took a voluntary payment a year or so ago. Still wanted to work and so applied for a post as a medical receptionist with Priory. Passed the interview and got a 10 hour a week contract working in their Rawcliffe surgery. The staff are very friendly and helpful as I have never done this kind of work before and made me feel very welcome. As for management., I’ve not seen them really, no appraisal as yet! The work is rewarding as it’s really good to feel you are making a difference when you can help someone. The pay is pretty poor for what you are expected to do, but the hours suit my lifestyle so I’m happy.

Pros

Good supportive colleagues, free coffee and biscuits!

Cons

Poor pay.

Awful place to work

No support from management – a lot of meetings but nothing changed Minimum wage but you are expected to do so much it exceeds the pay grade Unwilling to implement forward thinking solutions and stuck with out of date practises Insufficient training – they expect you to just know how to do the job with little to no training Always seeking new contracts but cannot cope with the work at present - admin are expected to slave away while management are on a fat wage packet Every day you were given unrealistic targets that were never going to be achieved and you were expected to “get it done!” The pressure was always on which lead to people always being stressed. I learned that in this day and age employers like this still exist with terrible employee support and ne real regard for them. Management were the most disappointing aspect always looking busy but never really doing much to assist the teams. You had to fight with management to get annual leave booked in. You were always treated with suspicion when a mistake was made. HR didn’t do anything to make things easier. The workplace culture was terrible with cliques and people whispering all the time. I did meet a few nice people whilst working there. The hardest part of the job was knowing that there was too much work for the team and that no matter how hard you worked it would never to completed causing backlogs. I worked extremely hard but was never given any support from management.

Pros

Cons

Management, pay, conditions

Forward-thinking and a team-based supportive culture

I feel lucky to be working in a close local team at my branch surgery with the added benefits that come with working in a large organization. Late visits and evening surgeries are not very frequent due to the level of staffing we have. If one doctor is under pressure in a working session then there is no shortage of help from others. If one surgery is struggling due to sickness or high volume then staff from other surgeries will step in. The workload is shared and it does feel that way. With all the pressures stacking up in general practice this organization will survive and continue to deliver good care. The partner team is excellent and progressive and aim to deliver better care. They are not afraid to try new ideas or change things if they could be improved. I've had to mention a con in the box below and I've mentioned the salary. I believe this is toward the lower end of the scale compared to some other practices in the area. However this is outweighed by all the positives and it certainly did not deter me from joining in the first place. Unfortunately I am soon to be leaving the practice but only because I am relocating for family reasons.

Pros

A perfect combination of a local team atmosphere with the support of a big practice.

Cons

Salary is toward the lower end of the local range, though this should not deter you

Not worth your time

Management was a joke, multiple occasions of being told off for the slightest thing while getting no recognition of the many things done well. Unsupportive upper management who had no idea what was going on in the departments. Told off for speaking to colleagues during work hours and to top it all off, a HR department that didn't care in the slightest about employees. No wonder there is such a high turnover rate. The company need to hire better managers and improve moral. Also, they need to start caring about employees and patients rather than just caring about cutting corners to maximise their paycheques.

Pros

Cons

Management, Hr, constant negative feedback, the list can go on.

Draconian organisational culture

There is a reason Priory Medical Group are always recruiting - this organisation is oppressive, archaic and careless towards its staff. Although the job roles themselves may be acceptable and somewhat varied, managers are continuously meddling to ‘increase’ efficiency. However, their meddling often has the opposite effect as they do not understand the role sufficiently. This organisation wants you to work as fast as you possibly can but will come down on you hard if you make any mistakes. Managers concern themselves with silly matters e.g. who is talking to who & what about etc, when they should really be focusing on important issues like improving staff morale and work processes. Moving forward, I hope this organisation and its management reflect on its staff retention rates and formulate a transformation plan to address its issues.

Pros

Lovely team & free tea bags and milk

Cons

Management & organisational culture

Horrible company

Don't what ever you do work for this company!!! They are terrible. Poor pay. Overworked. No respect for you as an individual. No perks. Team leaders useless. Managers too bothered about there own bit fat pay packets while you Slave away!!!

Pros

Nothing!! Oh flu jab

Cons

Everything!!

Varied work and really focused on the patients

We see the difference we make to patients. Fee well supported by managers and new ideas are encouraged and sometimes put into action. Even when not are told why. Great colleagues and some good company benefits. Very open to flexible working and most colleagues are part time like me. Has changes a lot over the years but feel that is positive when you hear about GP Practices closing down. Each site is encouraged to be a "team" so while we are quite big it feels smaller and focused on patient care. Hardest part is when colleagues are off on the sick - do our best but that can be tough as try not to say no to the patients. Really enjoy the interaction with colleagues and patients. Sharing ideas and trying new things. Some good fun charity stuff sometimes.

Pros

Tea, coffee etc all laid on, great people to work with

Cons

NHS is a challenging place to work and people expect too much from it

Terrible

No support from team leader!!! Management terrible. Some jumped up twit for HR. Poor pay. Go and work somewhere better where you a are valued and paid better.

Pros

Cons

List too long

Management poor and unsupportive

Worked for this company for over 3 years.Left Priory linked to the growing size of the practices.This is not a little surgery this is a large practice,.Expected to do a lot with very little support. Staff have not had a pay rise for over 5 years.Crow about no money but senior partners running round in the latest cars. Feels disjointed and uncaring because of the sheer number of staff, cliques and different locations.

Pros

Lots of equipment

Cons

Managment poor and unsupportive.

Appalling

A lot of time was spent reading patient notes so medical knowledge was expanded. Management poor and unsupportive. Great co-workers and aupport from them. Hardest part of the job was the extra contracts being taken on without adequate staff to do the extra work. Made good friends whilst working there and was well supported by co-workers.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, no pay rise for several years, no appreciation from management, working in unheated offices so very cold in winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Priory Medical Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1