Public Health England
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Public Health England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom82 reviews

Good collaborative supportive working environment

Its been an overall informative enriching experience. Typical working day worked well for me - fitted in well with my other commitments.I learnt a lot about COVID, the progress and how to live safelyOverall i have had good supportive managementThe work culture was supportive and inclusive, felt part of a team who were fully committed to support the country with the COVID pandemic.Hardest part when we were at the peak of the pandemic and the case load was overwhelmingMost enjoyable parts were the weekly Tuesday meetings and daily sitreps

Pros

flexible working hours- good working environment and culture

Cons

Intense working hours when pandemic was severe

They pay lab staff very badly compared with NHS

I have worked as a Mecical Lab Assistant for PHE for 7 years. The NHS staff who work alongside me are paid more and progress through their band. If you work for PHE you will never be paid more than they offered you at your interview. There is no progression whatever through the band. Even the NHS domestics are paid more than MLAs. At BMS level and above the pay differences are much larger. We constantly lose staff to the NHS and PHE have been urged to address this issue multiple times. They do not care.

Cons

Bad pay

Insights into Public Health England

• Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Badly managed

Would not recommend. Previous ownership was a much nicer place to work for. Sadly not focused on patients but more focused on money and headlines. Shame.

Pros

Cons

Corrupt

Lovely people

Lovely people, but it's very old fashioned, stuffy suits and not a great atmosphere. Difficult to progress through the ranks but management really care about their staff wellbeing.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Old fashioned

A Great Organisation to work for

Always learning and being challenged to achieve your goals, Managers will see that you are given responsibilities and given the chance to learn and have the correct training, Every year you have a review where they will check you competence, You are given goals to achieve and a time to complete, The quality of your training is very good, And your well being, Health & Safety is Paramount.

Pros

No weekends

Cons

Can be very busy

Flexible supportive working environment

Love doing the job, genuinely rewarding and challenging. Training is very thorough and ongoing as the pandemic develops. Team Leaders and managers very constructive

Pros

Work from home, pick own hours

Cons

Uncertain future shift avalabilty

Great organisation

Worked on the Track & Trace Campaign. Very well organised, thorough and professional. Learnt a lot and the training was excellent. Staff all very supportive.

okay place to work

Good place to work supportive and fast at up-skilling agents.In- depth training an support with E modules and competencies that are thorough and informative

Pros

Friendly and supportive

Cons

unpaid breaks

Inclusive and well paid!

THE COMPANY SITEL has a very inclusive and customer service friendly atmosphere and vibe, you are paid well to do to a very relaxed role (working from home).

Pros

Good pay and good job culture.

Cons

Not much job progression with a home based role.

good employer

good to work for. Interview was only a couple of days after submitting my application. Excellent communication by way of email and by text messages. .

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Public Health England?

Absolutely amazing

The staff are so nice and will always help you succeed and will go the extra mile for you. The work environment is absolutely fine and you get to work from aswell which means you will be comfortable and save loads of money

Not a pleasant environment

A miserable and unhappy place to work. A culture that I hope I never experience again. Exceedingly hierarchical. x department collaboration non existent. No consideration for work life balance. I was surprised as I though it would be a fabulous place to work and was really looking forward to it.

Pros

free flu jab; CEO approachable and pleasant

Cons

culture toxic; dreadfully low pay and holiday entitlement

Productive, thoughtful workplace

Working across the administration departments I am pleased to work a variety of helpful, positive people in a collaborative environment and would recommend the institution as a place to work.

Relaxed and convenient

Flexible and relaxed working hours Very difficult to advance pisition Very friendly and welcoming. Good onsite facilities Enjoyable work I learned alot

I loved my PHE job so much. Best managers I ever had in my life. Great colleagues, supporting you at all time. I had to leave PHE due to low salaries.

Pleasant atmosphere, helpful staff on training.

Good working environment, excellent computer facilities. enjoyable staff. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work load in the 1st few days, but when the training was over it became simple. Flexible working hours excellent restaurant on site.

Productive and fun place to work

Great Learning and development opportunities. There is a work balance life. It is a very friendly working environment. An opportunity to for a career development.

efficent and effective work environment

I arrive at work before nine in the morning and I am .very punctual. After arriving I head up to the lab, put on my lab coat and sanitize my hands. The next thing I do is start on the daily tasks and jobs that have deadlines and need to be completed.

Pros

great colleagues

Cons

heavy work load

N/a

I'm only currently working at Public Health England and a temp on a 6month fixed term contract via a recruitment agency but I will say I am really enjoying my time here, everyone is so easy going and friendly and helpful.

Public health England executive agency civil service.

Work life balance good work from home. No stress loads of training good place to work people are friendly polite helpful no micro managing let you get on with your work very positively busy. PHE highly recommended.

Poor management made it a really bad experience

Bullying and victimisation runs through the veins of senior management and HR A lot of union reps working hard on cases that they'll never resolve. Employment tribunal taken out by a senior consultant was actually won and the organisation advised to review policies and train management. Great if you have a good management team...not so good if unfortunate to work in a poor team or directorate.

Pros

Excellent learning and development opportunities

Cons

Poor management and bullying culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Health England. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Public Health England with

• Public Health England
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?