Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University Belfast Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews

staffgoodenjoyworkingdaytimemanagementjob

Okay as a student job

Worked here for a year as a student host. Wasn’t a bad experience, very flexible around your work life. Will say that they’re almost too flexible as there was times we were severely understaffed.

Stressful Environment

No career progress and work environment based on bias unfortunately thus no matter what you have done, you are not going to see any progress in your career

Insights into Queen's University Belfast

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Depends on the department

Think of each part of the uni as completely separate businesses. Each has its own culture, expectations and rules that vary wildly from one another. Directorates aren’t typically good places to work- stricter dress codes, less flexibility with hours, much restricted holidays (eg no annual leave to be taken over summer months), often open offices where any chat is squished so less “friendly” overall as there’s more separation between teams, and flexible working might be only a day a week, but potentially more promotion possibilities and typically permanent posts. In several years in a directorate was never offered the fun lunches and events that were common place in Schools. Schools on the other hand tend to be friendly, good community spirit, relaxed, more or very informal dress, private offices, very flexible on work times and home working (3 days home working typical), cyclical work throughout the year so only spots of time eg. September where leave is restricted. However promotions are often not possible unless someone retires/leaves and many posts in centres/projects/schools are temporary. Depending on the school they regularly arrange lunches and fun events to help bond staff. Interviews vary wildly from place to place. Unless you are going for testing and a clerical board, there is no consistency in the types of questions they ask from one post to another.

Pros

Fabulous holidays, good pension, great sick pay, flexible working, lovely people in Schools and Projects

Cons

Lots of red tape, Salary is not performance based, Many leave posts due to bullying but can’t highlight it as HR process is weak, some managers have no people skills, may end up doing two jobs

For your own sake - avoid

Chronically underpaying and stripping staff of benefits each year to the point of mental break, warning you as strongly as possible to avoid this terrible employer

Pros

Limited management oversight

Cons

Cripplingly bad pay

Miserable place to work

Unfriendly place to work not made welcome.Work load not divid out equally because of favouritism.Having to cover sick leave plus your own work at busy times of year is physically demanding and therefore adds to sick leave rising.

Cons

nice place! not much progression for temps

I came in briefly as a temp and enjoyed my time. Managers and co-workers all respectful and easy-going. So long as you are willing to do the work and show respect you'll get it back. I was hoping to get a permanent job but neither myself nor other temps I worked with had any scope for getting one really..... So just something to consider if that's also how you'll be working with them!

Pros

free coffee, good transport links, relaxed work culture

Cons

not much room for progression

Ingenieur development

Good

Great team environment good holiday and pension scheme

Good management and understanding of family work life balance. Work is demanding but can be rewarding .Good chance of education development and possibly of being able to climb the ladder

Pros

Phone, ipad most equipment supplied

Pockets of toxic culture

Worked with some highly professional and competent individuals but unfortunately experienced some very poor behaviours. It’s a place to join for life and not for change agents.

Pros

Annual leave

Laid back work place

Very flexible working arrangements. Good salary. Good benefits. Easy going managers and friendly co-workers. Easy application process. No interview required.

The workplace is friendly and productive

The general culture is cooperative. The quality of management and leadership on PI / line manager My work is not typical for a research technician - due to my background i have more responsibilities in research planning, organisation, data analysis and publication. I particularly enjoy the variety of problem solving challenges that comes with research activity.

Good place to work in general

A busy place to work but enjoyable overall. it is nice to get foot in the door and explore a range of places or departments to work within. would recommend.

Forward and Innovative

A very modern organization at the forefront of technological innovation and research. Great workplace culture from ordinary worker to management. Class

Highly enjoyed working for Queens University and I gained a lot of experience from highly trained individuals. Management were very supportive, the range of cultures were a bonus and the work hours, pension plan and holidays were absolutely amazing.

Environnement de travail agréable

Très bonne entente entre tous les membres de l'équipe

Delivered on expectations

During my PhD project I had great support from my supervisors, and was given several opportunities to attend and present at conferences. There was a good atmosphere in the building and I did feel surrounded by intelligent, driven people. One criticism I would make is that the line of communication to me about the kind of programme requirements such as annual reviews and training was sometimes unclear or slow.

Fun Workplace

9-5 Working Hours Good place to work. Friendly Work Environment. Decent number of annual holidays Number of events through out the year for staff Cheap movie tickets for Queens Staff

Interesting workplace

Different tasks are completed every day which keeps the job very interesting and exciting. The work environment is very fun and lighthearted which helps make the long hours enjoyable

Pros

Great experience

Cons

Hard work and long hours

Environment which focusses on student satisfaction

The university is located in the city centre and is easy to get to with public transport. Teaching is very rewarding and the work culture is geared towards student satisfaction. However, admin. issues often arise and work/life balance and job security are poor.

Nice place

In general the institute is nice to work for but unfortunately I didn't feel as though my role had been thought out enough or prepared for enough in advance. Management could therefore be better.

Flexible Work

The role is not too demanding and there is very little interference with academic study, staff are understanding if you are unable to attend events due to unforeseeable circumstances.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University Belfast. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement