R T Keedwell Ltd
Happiness score is 43 out of 100

R T Keedwell Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom60 reviews

Long hours, low pay. Monday to Friday job. They load your vehicle and have your run ready every morning.

It's not a bad place to work if you don't want that much money. Even if you work 50-55 hours per week your still going to end up with about 410£-440£ per week in your account. I can see that there are jobs with much better pay out there for hgv drivers than this one.It's Monday to Friday for class 2 hgv drivers. It's usually 8am-6pm shift. But maybe 1-2 times p/week they call you 6am, so you do a 12 hour shift (6am-6pm). Once a week you'll probably do a 13-14 hour shift.They don't bother you much if you get the job done, they have your run ready every morning. You just grab the keys, check the pallets and go. They don't pay for breaks.Offloading 1 ton pallets with a manual pallet truck at random houses, shops or small farms that you can't even drive in with the lorry, is the hard part of the job in my opinion, but this doesn't happen too often. Maybe you'll have 1 of these difficult drops per day, or 1 every 2 days. It's random.Other than that, it's ok to work there. Again: if you don't want to have much life Monday-Friday and you don't want that much money.You also work alone which is great. If you get the drops and do the job, no one bothers you.

Not best place I’ve worked. Planning office seem to have no idea.

Poor Company they bill you for damage even if it’s not your damage. Equipment is shocking and old. Always taking trailers to be fixed drivers don’t care. The lorry’s are old and all limited to 53 witch is simply dangerous.

Pros

Money

Awful

Horrendous, my first job as a class 1 driver. Was promised support and a mentor for at least the first week. Got absolutely nothing other than 30mins on the first day and was then criticised once mistakes were made. Found another company where I was given the proper support. Best thing that happened getting away from the company.

Many areas to improve on

• I asked for training in the interview and didn’t get any. I was thrown straight in the deep end from day 1 (however, I did see 1 other driver receiving training whilst I was there). • Unrealistic workload, and will even try to add some more on top of that. • They have a system that can see when you put your card in the tacho, so you get paid from that time. I made the mistake of going to the office to pick up paperwork first, then I’d go to the truck. • Force you into reduced rests as much as possible. Will take you as close to 60 hours as they possibly can (and more in my case because I was naive). • Will tell you that you’ve still got 3 hours left…at the 12 hour mark. • A lot of the office staff are very nice, but, some of them like to bad-mouth drivers if they aren’t the fastest (even if it’s not the driver’s fault).• 45 mins unpaid break. • Ratchet straps are like hens teeth. Some trailers have none, some drivers have 40+ in their bins.

Work Hard = Good Pay

R T Keedwell is a general haulage company, which means the work is varied, you could be in cornwall Monday, Kent, Tuesday and Scotland Thursday. Drivers typically work long hours (the lorry needs to earn its way) If you do a few nights out a week and work hard can earn £40-£50K

Pros

Good Pay rates, Meal Allowance, Night allowance

Cons

Long Hours (as every transport company)

Relaxed & fun atmosphere to work at.

Set working hours within the company & no weekend work. Great Colleagues to work with. Relaxed & Fun atmosphere to work at.

Had no issues with the company at all.Always been fair with regards to working hours and pay. Always something to do and there is always someone willing to help

Good place to work.

Started at R.T.Keedwell 4.5 years ago and still enjoy it, has planning problems sometimes but all logistics do.If you work with the office staff not against them, it becomes give and take.As for work/life balance, i chose to be a tramper not them.

Pros

meal allowance / good pay strusture

Cons

long hours sometimes.

Terrible terrible terrible

Health and safety none existent. Liars. No idea about drivers hours and work life balance. Shoddy equipment and vehicles. High turnover of drivers. Profit over safety.

Pros

Are none

Cons

Everything. Avoid like the plague.

28 January 2022
Health and safety is in place for all staffdrivers hrs are very important to us and Compliance are there to help if drivers don’t understand Drivers are drivers - some drivers look after their lorries others don’t we are in the process of replacing some our vehicles but because of Covid we are up to 2 years behind We have increased our wages in the last 6 months by 40%

Fast Moving Environment

Good fair Company, they want their pound of flesh but who doesn't in this industry! If you do whats expected of you, you're respected for it. The hours can be long at times but its all about getting the right life balance. I've asked a couple of times to be home and if you're prepared to start a bit earlier and put yourself out it happens, its all about give and take.

Pros

Good wages and recently introduced meal allowance too

Cons

Can be long hours, but it is wherever you go

Tramper

Great place and great people to work for.Enjoyed my time there. Ups and downs as life goes on. Enjoyed most of the time . Can be easy day sometime unexpected hours.Salary was increased twice while there. Enjoyed my time. Left due to some on personal issue.

Pros

Great people and colleague, nice and easy work.

Cons

Depends upon the personal circumstances . Nothing much.

2 February 2022
welcome back anytime glad you enjoyed your time with us. Have some very good work that drivers enjoy delivering

Laid off at christmas

I was laid off 20/12/2019 without any notice and no warnings, not paid in lieu of notice. After this shock it was explained the exact same thing happened the year earlier. The worst time to be looking for a new job, January - March you will be laid off do not work for these clowns.

Challenging Fast Paced Environment

Worked here for 4 years, you need to be a robust, strong character to thrive in this environment but if you're willing to put the graft in - you can make a career for yourself here!

Good as first driving role

They give new drivers an opportunity to gain experience. The training was non existent on my first day I was sent to Glasgow after a collection in Bristol. Knowing full well that I would not make the delivery time slot I had. Ended up parked up on the side of the road for 24 hrs as couldn’t get another slot!!! Wages are not that good

Pros

Good fleet of trucks

Cons

Wages

Really reall bad.

Went as a tramper, I was put into someone's cab that was full of someone else's gear. I was told to look (and refused) through their personal effects to find something. Planners are not very good at their jobs and they tell you to pay for parking on night out and then don't pay it out. Made loads of lads redundant recently and are now looking for more mugs!

Pros

Not a one.

Cons

Juat about everything.

8 December 2021
Please get your facts right - no drivers laid off - always pay parking if parked in safe places

Over worked under paid they have there favourites

Worked to max hours every week I was eailsy doing 65 70 hours and still only taking home after deductions 550 if I was lucky that included £22.50 per night out (not paid if the planners made u stay at the home depot) £10.50 per hour. Planners couldn't even plan a walk round a roundabout trucks are very under powered its dangerouslocked into eco mode 52.8mph as soon as u come to a hill dies to 20/25 mph very quick to bill the driver for vehicle issues (tyres and flat batteries) even with no proof of drivers fault. And to top it off the want u to stay in a truck but won't provide a fridge or microwave just box standard basic truck. They don't give a monkeys bum about driver welfare or mental wellbeing

Pros

Cons

Everything terrible

28 January 2022
Nights out are now £30 and planners don’t plan your walk around check we have some good planners in place that work well with our drivers we now put inverters in all fridges and all incidents are fully investigated and driver contributes to the cost of repair if he is found to be at fault

Good company

I was full time for a few months. Over all one of the best firms I've worked for.Only left as I need a 4 on 4 off life style. I'd recommend this company if your looking for a full time job.I was taking home just over 500 after tax most weeks

Pros

Good working conditions

6 February 2022
Thank you if you want to come back on 4on 4off please call me as it’s positive drivers like you we want

Easy going as long as your loads are delivered

Started as a new pass Class 1 driver and was just here to gain experience but still here nearly 5 years. To many drivers taking the mick and defrauding company over hours.

Pros

Easy going on certain sides of the company

Cons

To many different pay structures for doing the same jobs

23 October 2020
Thanks for the feedback - glad to hear you still enjoy working with us 5 years later! Please feel free to contact your Transport Manager to discuss drivers hours and pay structures are under review!Thanks for all your hard work, and here's to the next 5!!!

Fast paced - never dull!

Haulage is a challenging field to work in, but Keedwells takes pride in what it does. It has a very diverse workforce, which makes things interesting. It's hard work, sometimes long hours, but I like to go home feeling like I've worked well for my money. If you work hard and are nice to others, you will do well at this company.

Could do a lot worse.

I drive 4on-4off, so no complaints from me about excessive hours. Wages can always be better, but I'm salaried, so i know where I am every week. We occasionally get caught out, and have to run in on the fifth day, but that is the exception rather than rule. It's general haulage, so don't expect Monday to Friday, 08.00 till 17.00 working hours. There's builders merchants or supermarkets for that. The trucks are basic (and I detest Mercs), but you can not blame the company for the state that drivers leave the truck in. My truck is spotless, well, on the inside anyway. A lot of the trailers have seen better days, that's true. I dont recognize the "bullying" that the office staff is accused of, but then I've always found that you get treated as you treat others. Again, its general haulage, and that always has its ups and downs. I do my fair share of work, and am treated well in response. I

Pros

Steady work, not being chased all the time, treated faiy.

Cons

Mercedes trucks....

no job security

Management shocking... pay poorly... a lot of drivers not happy but at end of day it's a job New drivers go out on there own after doing class room traing my personal approach is that they should go out with another driver just to so them the ropes

8 December 2021
New drivers are put with another experienced driver until they are confident to go on their own Pay for a Tramper is between £50/£60k a year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R T Keedwell Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement