RAC

RAC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom171 reviews

breakdownpatrolprogressionparkingtargetshiftcolleagueearn

Fast Paced

Vehicle inspection sector is very Fast paced. Seems under appreciated and outdated compared to other sides of business in relation to wage, benefits and also lack of holiday pay.

Pros

Bonus - where applicable

Cons

No Sick pay.

Yikes

Probably the worst place I have ever worked, the systems are dated. Certain management/ areas are not fit for purpose. Purposely failing customers, terminating breakdown calls and gaps in the system allow this to happen without any consequences fog agents

Pros

You get paid a wage.

Cons

Not enough characters in the section.

Insights into RAC

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Fantastic company

Fantastic organisation to work for good pay and working environment, career opportunities. Every day is different you can manage your own time ensuring the job gets done

Awful depressing

Awful place to work. Money is good but not worth it for what you have to go through every day. Management are very clicky and power mad, they are rude and think they are better than everyone else and make your job even harder without supporting you. The job itself is not worth the money as you have too much work load without support and have to deal with customers than are constancy screaming and shouting down the phone due to delays in service

Poor management

Very unprofessional management who bend the rules to suit them. I thought being involved with such a big name I was set for life. Sadly not and being one of the biggest companies led to being one of the most unprofessional sadly.

Plenty of freedom to make your own decisions

No commute to work. Great meeting new people everyday. Great benefits, holiday etc. everything supplied to do the job. Plenty of back up and support. But workload gets overwhelming at times. Constant management and system/procedure changes. Constantly trying something they think is new but has been tried before. Opportunities to progress within the company are there but you are expected to give up your free time to get yourself noticed by upper management.

Pros

Everything supplied, very generous holiday

Cons

Shift work, very busy and can be stressful

Avoid

No opportunity to progress, toxic culture, very poor work life balance, difficult to use your annual leave to book holidays due to staff shortages. Wouldn’t recommend starting work here if you value your mental health and social life.

Poor pay and very stressful

I wasn't really there long enough to get a proper sense of things as this was a stop gap job whilst I was waiting for clearance from another company. However, the pay was low, the systems were awful & the job was stressful with call after call of upset people who had broken down & were waiting a while for someone to come out to them. Overall, not great but it served a purpose for me for the 4 weeks I needed it.

Coworkers are very friendly and helpful

Generally a great place to work, especially if you just want to earn some money without any obligations or responsibilities, but not if you have any ambitions for progression. Very understaffed and I’ve not had much opportunity for training due to the understaffed situation. The benefits are excellent as well as the pay and the overtime incentives are crazy good. I would have liked to stay there and build a career but for lack of job security and progression.

Pays well but difficult hours

The Job itself is great, fix what you can, tow what you can't. Vast majority of customers are happy to see you but some grow frustrated when they've had a long wait for you or when you can't sort something out for them because another department has let you down. You are a problem solver utilising all options available to you to solve that situation at the time.

Stay clear

The worst company you can work, they don't care about employees and especially people who left on the roadside. They don't care about mental health or well being of anyone, all about profits. They leave vulnerable people on the roadside for hours if not days. Seen that happening for 6 years.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Stressful all around

Awful place to work now.

Find a job elsewhere, working here for over 20 years. The way you are treated now is disgraceful. Souls destroying, stay in a garage, earn more money and enjoy a Monday to Friday 9-17:00 life.It used to be a great place to work but not anymore!

Pros

Getting home

Cons

Treated like dirt, unsociable hours, low pay, poor management

Only work here if you have nothing else in life

Shifts are all over the place, you have no respect from anyone. Small mistake they come at you like a tonne of bricks, no recognition for good working.

Pros

Free breakdown cover but not worth the job

Cons

Long hours, bad managers, clueless people, leaving people in vulnerable situations for hours

I loved working here, really intense training and lots of support from team leaders. Lovely perks and free parking. I worked on a temporary contract over the Christmas period and it was good money as i think it was x3 pay on bank holidays.

Pros

Free hot drinks

Cons

Late hours

Superb

I left a garage to do this job and have been with the rac for 19 years and have never looked back. The weather can be bad but you have wet weather gear and you can get back in the van after each job not a problem. I would Never go back in a garage after doing this job as the money is so much better and there is always overtime available if you want it.

Ok management is not good

Management need working on as they don’t really care about their staff. Work times are also hard and draining. Good pay and good benefits out of the company

Very challenging place to work

Micro managed and pushed to constantly sell batteries and parts, then managed on your work time trying to sell and fit parts don’t feel valued for my efforts no recognition

Joined them during covid working from home. They gave excellent support through training and had a system set up so you can get help if you are stuck on a call. Calls were back to back but each call was different so didnt really bother me.

Worst place to ever work

Worked here for a few months management have no idea what they’re doing. Had an unexpected operation which lead to me being out of work for 2 weeks( needed more time off but was not given) called in advanced to let them know I will be out of work and was told to still come the next day after my operation while I was still at the hospital. I don’t think they know what holidays mean! Was told to book my holiday in advanced and still didn’t receive my days off even though I told them multiple times I have prebooked holidays and nobody listened. Overall terrible place to work would not recommend rather work at McDonald’s.

Cons

Worked here and still do

Really great place to work the job is definitely very stressful but the pay is good and you get a real sense of achievement from helping people in highly stressful situations

Pros

Treated fairly

Cons

Stressful job that’s always changing

AVOID at all costs

Worse company to work they track and monitor everything you do toilet breaks etc. no support for staff suffering from mental health issues. Mangers talk rubbish about each other and staff awful place to work

Pros

Breakdown cover but even that service is rubbish

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RAC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare RAC with

Learn about RAC in popular locations

• RAC