RAC
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

RAC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom146 reviews

Ok management is not good

Management need working on as they don’t really care about their staff. Work times are also hard and draining. Good pay and good benefits out of the company

Superb

I left a garage to do this job and have been with the rac for 19 years and have never looked back. The weather can be bad but you have wet weather gear and you can get back in the van after each job not a problem. I would Never go back in a garage after doing this job as the money is so much better and there is always overtime available if you want it.

Insights into RAC

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Very challenging place to work

Micro managed and pushed to constantly sell batteries and parts, then managed on your work time trying to sell and fit parts don’t feel valued for my efforts no recognition

Joined them during covid working from home. They gave excellent support through training and had a system set up so you can get help if you are stuck on a call. Calls were back to back but each call was different so didnt really bother me.

Worst place to ever work

Worked here for a few months management have no idea what they’re doing. Had an unexpected operation which lead to me being out of work for 2 weeks( needed more time off but was not given) called in advanced to let them know I will be out of work and was told to still come the next day after my operation while I was still at the hospital. I don’t think they know what holidays mean! Was told to book my holiday in advanced and still didn’t receive my days off even though I told them multiple times I have prebooked holidays and nobody listened. Overall terrible place to work would not recommend rather work at McDonald’s.

AVOID at all costs

Worse company to work they track and monitor everything you do toilet breaks etc. no support for staff suffering from mental health issues. Mangers talk rubbish about each other and staff awful place to work

Pros

Breakdown cover but even that service is rubbish

Cons

Used to be a good job until they started deducting money from your earnings with no recourse.

The sales channel used to be around 200 strong nationwide. At last count it was 61 with more experiences sales agents continuing to leave. Course after course of new starters coming in who last less than 3 months. If only they realised that deducting pay unfairly from its workers and not listening to any grievances simply isn’t working.

Pros

Flexible working pattern

Cons

Money stolen from commissions

great money, dull day-today

great money, dull day-todayfriendly staffamazing overtime pay + potential bonuslots of training and incentivesdifficult working hours - 8am-8pm mon-sun

The staff are friendly it is a clean safe environment and there is security on site. RAC is a great place to work , I work with amazing people and enjoy working as part of the team

Pros

Free breakdown

Really tough job

Was once a really good job those days are long gone Commission is poor you have to record everything and if you don’t your threatened with 30 days notice. You have to pay for your sites that’s about £1000 per month plus agencies fee of £100.There are better jobs out there now.

Pros

You can work your own hours

Cons

You’ll probably end up out of pocket

You are on your own

As a lone worker it can be hard. You work long hours 48 per week on shifts in all weather conditions. They supply the van and some tools, they expect you to sell parts and membership.

Pros

None other than uniform

Cons

Not a lot of back up

Fantastic Job

Current patrol, would encourage any technician if confident with diagnosing vehicles, good with customers and want to put in the graft to apply. The best job within the Motor Trade hands down and I love what I do!

Pros

Lots, take van home, no commute before work

Cons

Can be lonely at times, the weather

RAC patrol

Patrol's put under pressure to sell , sell , sell to members with stock from the van .If you do not meet the sales targets set for you you will be put on a sales course/coaching and given 3 months to pick up sales to match everybody else 's figures ( who are to scared to lose there jobs and so comply ) .If you do not sell enough you will be given a first warning then a written warning etc .The lead patrols are back stabbers so beware what you say to them , they will report you !The Union is weak and sits on the fence , saying they have your back but in reality unless it is something really serious you will have to comply with management rules ( the managers bend them to suit themselves if you sell a lot of parts/ batteries etc) .Tracked , monitored , caned , pressured , odd shift patterns , no family life balance , 50% divorce rate ( a guess ) .Great being out on your own in a van helping people , absolutely fantastic , i loved almost every minute of it .If you can wrestle your conscience and keep you head below the parapet you will have a fantastic job for life , Good Luck .

Pros

Being out on the road helping members, fantastic job .

Cons

shift patterns, Management structure, sales structure

Poor pay for unsocial hours

Was originally from agency on poor pay then moved to poor hours which no one wanted to do 5pm to 11pm shifts every day. Then told they were going to give us a contract then next day decided not to . Then start of pandemic told we were being released from contract. Think I'm going to go back when needed to be released again I DONT THINK SO

Pros

Cons

Long hours to get decent wage

Manage your own expectations!!!

Company has a toxic culture where you are encouraged to report on those around you. Additionally once they find out you have useful and novel skills above your pay grade and outside your contract they want you to use them without a pay raise. What i recommend is that go into the company but manage your expectations.

Pros

Nice car park

Cons

Wont pay you for additional skills used

worst call centre ever

this was the worst place i ever had the pleasure of working at, was promised so much at the interview 1 BIG LIE, high turnover of staff, had a lovely trainer who was there one day and gone the next, even though we are to give good customer service, just one question how in 4 mins, if your calls are for ever going over that time you are bought in front of your manager, and told if you dont speed up we will let you go, as i have said worst place ever avoid, i would rather have Covid then work here.

Pros

good work mate

Cons

everything else

Product

Figure chasing, work on you own and from your home address , giving roadside assistance to customers at roadside workplace or at home good all round job but selling products and reaching monthly targets

Pros

Own van

too much swearing!!

there was a culture of swearing on the floor from management down!, very uncomfortable as it was a contact centre so I was aware that callers can hear back ground noise.

Productive and Pro-active Workplace

Always looking to promote new ideas and to listen to its people.Tough times at the minute and RAC has been great at making working from home work for people where possible.

Pros

Membership, flex benefits

Cons

Can't think of any at the minute

Productive workplace.

Every day at the RAC brings new challenges and a fun outlook as the day begins really helps. Some calls can be hard as customers can get understandably irritated when recoveries are taking a little longer than expected. But the training received is excellent and prepares you fully for these types of incidents. In all this is a very rewarding company to work for with great benefits to accompany it.

Pros

Great pay and relaxed work atmosphere.

Cons

Travel during Manchester United matches.

Disaster

Complete joke: difficult, stressful, cold, big gaps, high overheads, no security. Abusive.Convoluted accounting procedures: impossible to budget.Could not recommend this to anyone.

Pros

When you leave

Cons

Starting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RAC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • RAC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?