RAC
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

RAC Employee Reviews for Patrolman

Wouldn’t work there again

You get a terrible work/life balance. Everyone is chasing different figures, for the office staff to get good figures, the patrols have to get bad figures. Managers are useless in time of need. They don’t think twice to bully you out when you stop caring about figures and just do what is right for the customers. Money is there only goal. Customers are at the bottom of there priorities.

Ok

Ok company to work for , salary & hours worked not the best but ok. Typical working day 9 hrs and night shifts also. Sent to head office at Bescot for training courses. I worked in London so getting to the scene of breakdown on time was quite stressfull . I found the easiest part of job for me was getting our members back on the ra

patrol 20 yrs service

typical day "sell sell sell" what you learn how to "sell sell sell" management are "clowns" workplace culture "sell sell sell" the hardest part of the job "sales figures" most enjoyable part "signing out" if you have a life "dont do it" you wont have one working here

Pros

was a good job

Cons

now its not

Good money but not the company it used to be

As a patrol the basics of the job haven't changed much over the years (fix what you can, tow what you cant) but in recent years more and more is expected of the role whilst your given less time to work with. The role has become very profit focused with sales targets expected to be constantly achieved, quite often at the expense of good customer service. Customer service used to be key in RAC but now profit comes first. Being the hero day to day still makes me proud to do the job but the constant bombardment with procedure changes and sales/performance targets all to achieve a number on a spreadsheet rather than provide a good service have ruined the job I once loved. Also the hours are hard work. If your in it only for the money then it can be great, if you want job satisfaction then I would look else ware.

Pros

No commute to work.

Cons

Unsociable hours, difficult to take leave, constant sales and performance targets

Good company ruined

This used to he a good company until the money men got involved and being a roadside technician was at one time one of the best jobs in the company but now we are treated with a degree of contempt. There used to be an uncapped amount of overtime given out but that has all but stopped with the introduction of micro management and now we are asked to work on unpaid standby. Would I recommend this job to anyone else? I couldn't, not while patrols and new recruits are leaving in numbers. I still have a passion for the brand but not the company.

Pros

Cons

Poor leaders, Very poor basic for Patrols, Lack of overtime, Letting customers down with waiting times, Very little training

Great salary but better suited to single without family commitments

I'm an ex Rac patrolman so have already worked in this role , great earning potential but family life suffers . Near impossible to book days off. High pressure job with targets constantly changing . Was much better before aviva took over you were left to do the job you were paid to do but now it's more of a number management game.

Pros

High earning potential

Cons

Unsociable working hours

long hours and shift work, little family time

great job when i started, but my personal circumstances have changed, and working weekends has hampered my personal life.great company though.

Pros

no travel to work and back!

Cons

working weekends and late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RAC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement