Reading Borough Council

Reading Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom57 reviews

hourenjoytimegoodpeopleplaceworkingday

Time focused

I was a teacher so review based on school not council. School was a quite stressed environment. The senior management seemed unappreciative and unapproachable.

Pros

Community feel from other teachers

Cons

Lovely workplace, fun to work

I work at New Directions college. It is a lovely workplace. My collegues and learners are really nice! I deffinitely recommend. The college is a new college under the council and promotes adult learning.

Insights into Reading Borough Council

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Productive and fun workplace

Good place to work, friendly colleagues and all very supportive. Different teams talk to each other. Good training opportunities and welcoming environment

Good jib

Good place to work was something I was into at the time not really suitable right now , good place to work , people and staff was all lovely and nice , only worked there for two weeks as a school thing

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Can be to early for me

Project work Contractor not an employee

I worked with Reading Borough Council as a Contractor on a project through my own private limited company so I cannot comment on Reading Borough Council as an employer

fun and productive

fun and productive place to work. meet a variety of service users daily. every job is different to a degree. lovely team to work with daily and work around each other to get the job done.

Friendly, professional, motivating

New Directions - Adult Learning Service/Community College for Reading Borough Council. I worked there for 10 years and absolutely loved it. Great colleagues, super students. As Careers Advisor/Employment Advisor I would be helping students and member of the public who were job seekers to find training, volunteering or work in the Reading area. I could be working at various college, council and community locations seeing people for drop in service or by appointment. Workplace culture was focused on helping our students and others to move forward and achieve their goals. It was great when a student or job seeker came to see me with good news about passing an exam or getting a job etc. Most difficult part of my job was helping people to get back their positivity after job application rejections. I was proud to be part of the wider council and helping to make a difference (hopefully) to the residents of Reading. Only left because I was moving out of the area. Would thoroughly recommend.

Good training authority

Staff encouraged to obtain professional qualifications for career progression. Managers control training budgets which is utilised according to staff training needs.

Pros

environmental friendly officers

Cons

weak leadership

Ok. No opportunity to advance career. Despite enirmous experience.

I have worked for Reading Borough Council for 20 years and my salary has HARDLY INCREASED. Also as a teaching assistant we are often over looked and we carry out work with some of the most challenging children.

Pros

Hopefully a good pension

Cons

No opportunity

Not what I expected

Aside from the learning aspect of this apprenticeship which is done by a separate body, it's been pretty poorly run by managers, with front line staff taking the reigns to give me experience. The facilities and systems are terrible, though as a plumber I'm out on site most of the time: office unclean, technology old and so much red tape. There's probably one normal employee for every 3 jobsworths, who aim simply to make other people's lives worse. Outliers to this council culture are promptly destroyed through gossip and defamation. For getting experience on your cv and as a stepping stone to something better: the council is fine. As a career? Maybe give it a miss- unless you're one of the select few of the bourgeoisie in senior management: I'm looking at you, chief exec!!

To much work

Far to stressful Not enough staff to cover services Constant demand on time only one person (me) to answer all phone call enquiries little flexibility from management

Pros

Cons

long hours to keep work up to date (no overtime pay)

Good job shame about the management

General assistant 0 hour contract good job shame about the red tape at RBC .Did one shift as my login number to get paid didn't work after several emails I got fed up because no-one could fix it .so I left I work my shift in July didn't get paid for the 1 shift I did until October and that only after .I sent a letter to head of payroll at the RBC it's a shame as I enjoyed my shift but terrible management

Ok love the job

Help clients and carer staff. serve drinks and food, lay tables. take part in activities.Talk to clients, help where could, enjoyed meeting people, serving the community.Also helped in the office doing Administration work for the Manageress, Learnt to be more confident, and didn't find no hard part of any of the work required.

Some good perks but currently unstable working environment with lots of change

My journey with RBC has been varied - at times positive and supportive but currently there is no stability. Many years ago i was supported to develop, by being offered a lot of training opportunities. Since budget cuts these have ceased to exist and now the organising feels disjointed and disconnected with it's staff.

The job would be so much easier and nicer with out all the rec tape

Fostering is very rewarding, but to many obstacles put in your way. It's a 24/7 job with very little support. The people who are there to support you are usually the ones putting obstacles I your way.

Pros

Seeing little faces experience new things and having fun.

Cons

Paperwork.

Really good all well done , I felt safe, and that I learned a lot

When doing my work experience , I felt that had learned how to deal with child in a whole new way , non off staff was rude , and they made sure that I had felt apart off the group , they made that I had learned the ins and out off all parts off childcare , with all different ages , the hours was flexablw

Pros

That if there was enough good I'd be given some

great people

work with great people and interesting days, lots of different roles, two days are never the same as different enquiries come in. some post have flexible hours to suit around employers

Amazing

I have recently decided to change my career path and retired from being a Black Cab & Private Hire driver for both Reading & Wokingham Borough Council

Admin role

Providing administrative support to professionals to ensure school attendance is kept high. Biggest success moving from a paper file management system to an electric management system.

Grant Giving

Assisting the local authority to give grant aid to voluntary and community organisation, this involved budget management along with managing premises.

Fun place to work

Plenty of flexibility available. Great working environment. Good pension scheme. Plenty of career potential. Working from home option. 9 day fortnight working pattern available.

Pros

Annual Leave

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement