Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews

The only plus side is that it's freelance, otherwise it's highly exploitative. Work can be near impossible at times and takes an huge amount of time. Also some (unmarked) highly disturbing content.
Pros
Work own hours
Cons
Less than half minimum wage
This company is not worth your time. It takes 3-6 hours to do a 10 minute transcription, not because I am slow, but because if I don't obsessively check my work, they will deactivate my account for not living up to their transcription standards.There is a total lack of consistency in what is and isn't alright for a clean read transcription as some graders say ellipses is okay and others don't. You get given a warning if your standards fall below what they are after, and then you do any transcription you get, in fear, due to not knowing if your account is going to close. The environment and the culture is too stressful. And the amount of money you earn for each transcription is peanuts. It won't help you in the long term, the amount of money that you earn at this company, so please, unless you really need some extra money, please consider not wasting your time working for this company. There are other companies out there, like my other transcription company that I work for, that pay more and teach you a long the way, and don't make you feel scared of your account closing.
Pros
Cons
Pay is small, Culture, Grading
They are an ok company to work for if you want to earn a few pennies in your spare time, but that's as far as it goes. You are expected to maintain an exceptional quality of work and are highly scrutinized, all the while being poorly paid. They deactivate accounts on a whim saying their decision is final and refuse to give any explanation as to why, and any attempt to get a morsel of feedback about their termination of your freelance contract results in you being blanked.
Pros
They send money to your paypal account
Cons
Talking to anyone is like hitting your head against a wall.
I'd only recommend this job as an additional source of income to what you already have -- it would be very hard to earn a living just through Rev. Starting out, you will earn around ÂŁ20 for a 40min long video, which could take as long as one or two days to complete, sync, and submit. As you progress through the 'ranks' by meeting pretty strict targets (which does encourage you to improve and use their Style Guide), you're able to earn more per video and work on longer projects (I found this is where I made the most money, luckily finding a project with a 12-day deadline earning ÂŁ200ish - but these projects aren't too common and it was hard work). The hardest part of the job is having the literary/grammatical competence, typing speed, comprehension skills and patience to transcribe videos that are sometimes difficult to interpret. But, the biggest plus is that you can work whenever you want, wherever you want, and if you don't mind not earning a killing for doing a lot of sedentary work, I would definitely recommend applying for Rev.
Pros
Complete flexibility
Cons
Unsatisfactory pay
The job involves transcribing audio and video files. I'm a freelance editor and proofreader by profession as well as a good typist. This seemed an ideal way to fill in downtime. The money I earned before being kicked out might pay for a packet of biscuits.The audio files are often terrible quality. Some have multiple speakers who talk over one another, but the speech needs recording accurately and attributing to the correct speaker. Sometimes, this is nigh on impossible. Many of the files are short - around 5 – 10 mins long. This can take an hour or more to transcribe and earned me around $3. Three. Dollars. An Hour. The worst part is, if mistakes are made, your 'metrics' are affected. This is your rating and if it drops below 4.5 out of 5, you get a warning notice. Another similar mistake within 120 days and your account is immediately deactivated with no notice.First - the quality of the source material is often very poor, but this makes no difference to how strictly you are graded.Second - the pay is APPALLING for a job that requires so much time and skill.Third - the grading can be harsh, sometimes incorrect and is inconsistent because it is done by many different people. My jobs were scored between 95 – 100%, so I believed I was getting it right. Then another job - to the same standard, but graded by a different Revver - knocked my metric down to 4.3 and I automatically received a warning which I was not able to discuss with anyone. A few more successful jobs down the line I thought I was putting the blip behind me then - bang - account deactivated with no idea - more...
Pros
Some interesting audio files.
Cons
Appalling pay - a hunt down the back of the sofa might be more lucrative.
They take on very low quality audio and pay very little whilst expecting high standards. One customer complaint can cause you to lose your position and you cannot dispute this. At best you can make well below minimum wage in most western countries.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Low pay. Low quality recordings.
After applying about 10 times for the job I was happy to be accepted, I thought it was good at the time. But trust me they get you slaving for less then minimum wage
Pros
Anything seems like worth your while after slaving for rev
Cons
So many
Really only viable if you are a US citizen as pay is in US dollars. Fun and challenging transcribing work for someone with a lot of free time. Competition for jobs is an issue as well as time management.
Pros
Interesting for audio translators
Cons
Low pay to hrs worked
It's an ok way to earn some extra money and some audios can be interesting. However, a lot of the audios are difficult to work with and require a lot of time investment and in return you get pennies. You might spend an hour decoding a 5 minute long poor quality audio with people speaking over each other and get ÂŁ2 for your effort. The graders can be too harsh as well. You would know the style guide inside and out and fallow it perfectly and still get a bad grade because the grader felt like penalizing you for whatever reasons. For example, I got penalized for not capitalizing words that don't actually require capitalizing. And you never know what grade you will get, the same piece of work can get you a different grade with a different grader. End up with a harsh grader a couple of times and your account gets suspended.
Pros
Total flexability
Cons
Very poor pay, unfair grading
The premise sounds nice, working from home and choosing your hours, but in reality the money you make is hardly work the time spent transcribing. Failing to follow poor instructions will drop your ranking and inevitably deactivate your account. Even if you thought the ranking was unfair, there is virtually no way to dispute this. Would not recommend.
Pros
Cons
No job security, 0 respect for 'employees'
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rev.com?
This job is perfect if you want to earn a little bit of cash. I do roughly 2 transcriptions a week, meaning I get paid around ÂŁ30 per week. Whilst they say they pay you per minute, they actually pay you per minute of the file. So if a file is 25 min long, and the pay rate (on average) is 60p, you'll get ÂŁ15 per transcription. The big downside, is that you have to invest hours into a 30 min transcription piece. It takes me around 2/3 hours to complete a simple 30min audio file. This is not because I am slow, but because I know, if I screw up, I can get fired without hesitation. You have to complete your job to perfection, and even the smallest mistake can get you fired. So please, do not pursue this as a full time income / career. This is for some spare cash, as there is no job security, no job satisfaction or career development.
Pros
Paid weekly, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, no job security, go big or go home
They do not care about you as a freelancer. As well as during the COVID-19 outbreak. They closed my account due to me following the bad advice that one of their customer service workers gave me. This was my only source of income right now but now I have nothing. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY! SAVE YOURSELVES! THEY DON"T CARE ABOUT YOU!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay and no job security
If you like difficult audio; graders giving harsh grades for acceptable work, and Rev deleting your account months before they threatened to. This is the job for you. Work had been slim due to the COVID-19 outbreak (people working from home) and I couldn’t help think that Rev just doesn’t care about developing their workers. Plenty more fish in the sea.
Pros
You can choose your own hours
Cons
Lots
Will dismiss workers when they have too much to lower numbers, one bad rating could get you dropped out. Absolutely no security, could have to stop at any point, and at the prices they pay for the transcription, it's ridiculous.
I love Rev because it allows me to work from home, and at my own pace, as much or as little as I want. It would be difficult to have as your only full-time job, but it is great supplemental income. I work a few hours a day M-F and average $200-$300 a week. This is in addition to other online work that I do, so it's nice to be able to mix it up. While the pay per hour may not be the greatest (I average about $10-12/hr), I appreciate that I don't have to get ready, commute, pack lunch and be gone all day to make money. I can do it from home, in my pajamas if I like. I will say the test was pretty challenging. I thought the grammar portion was pretty easy, but the typed portion was difficult, and you REALLY need to know the style guide inside and out. Luckily they give you a lot of feedback, so you know where you screwed up, but they will continue grading you (sometimes pretty harshly, it's all different types of graders) So you have to stay diligent and make sure proofread well before submitting. (Remember these are for actual paying clients.) I'm earning $800-$1000+/month for maybe 10-15 hrs a week, which isn't bad at all, more than I'd make a part-time job after taxes and travel expenses. Plus I'm getting transcription experience (rather than taking a paid course) and learning a lot of really interesting things. It works really well for our family, and I'm very grateful for the work I've had with Rev and plan to continue and move up to Revver+. I have a personal goal of making $500 per week in the near future as my speed increases and I put in more hours and increase - more...
At first glance, Rev looks like a promising little side job to do to make some money. Unfortunately the lack of support and motivation is topped by the pitiful amount they pay. On average 0.58 per minute.. not too bad you'd think but considering that the audio quality of most project is horrendous a ten minute transcribing job can easily take you 30 mins. Do the math. On top of that, the technical issues cause delays and bad grading, for example if they claim your project was submitted incomplete, while in fact one of the audio tracks was not playing so it could not be transcribed. If you are bored and need pennies as pocket money, go ahead, if you are, however, really interested in transcribing work where they actually pay good money for what you submit, then stay away from Rev.
Work at my own accord whilst learning a variety of new things through the videos that I was captioning. This came with a struggle at times either with needing to extensively looking up words or places that were said in the video with very little information about said topic.
Training or not 30p for half an hours work is slave labour. Once you finish the excessive training process you invested half your life in you wont be earning much more. Expect to spend half your time waiting for a job to come through and rushing to grab it before someone else then realise 90% of the audio is inaudible so reject it for someone else to pick up.
If you want to work so hard that you need time to recover between jobs and get paid an absolute minimum wage for the 'privilege' then Rev is for you. If you want an employer who expects absolute perfection, even when what is considered perfect doesn't always suit even the client's needs, then Rev is for you. If you want a grading system that would comment on you leaving one extra space between words on a 4 hour video file then Rev is for you. If you want to be penalized for the most minor infractions and have your metrics drop accordingly, then Rev is for you. If you want no recourse to challenging the grading system, no response to your questions, only automated emails as responses, and the barest, most minimum praise when you achieve the needed perfection, all for below the minimum wage, then... Well you catch my drift. Steer well clear.
I could go on for ages but let me make the most crucial point - they terminated my account without warning and haven't paid a penny of what they owed me.
Rev is a great place to work from home, earn a bit of side cash or even maintain as a more high income job. It's great personal structure, allows for all to work when they want and for however much they want to make, however, all of your pieces are graded and your average is determined by your last thirty not your overall number of jobs completed. This is great as an overall feature and is great because if you do well enough you can become a grader too and bring in more that way, however, the issue is the graders have power over whether you keep your job or not and none of them clearly work from what they should be working off of and is all opinion based and how they feel in the situation rather than how you complete your jobs. It's such a hostile work environment and you have to hope you are either the epitomy of perfect or get a decent grader because otherwise you don't have a job anymore. The training for becoming a transcriptionist is worse as they are jobs your forced to do, which affect your limited time to obtain a good score whilst affecting your score such as intentionally very difficult audio files designed to trip you up which they still grade you poorly on making the time average essentially impossible unless you're a deity or already have the answers. I love the company, the job and the freedom and difficulties, the learning can be amazing but the grading system needs a massive overhaul of people because the system in place seems right but they just don't care about treating people right because they're superior despite being incapable of agreeing on the basics - more...
  1. Employee reviews