Richmond upon Thames College

Richmond upon Thames College Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews

workgreatworkingpeoplejobstudentmanagementstaff

Great team to work with

Lovely atmosphere. The staff really make a difference. Good facilities. I only left as I was leaving the country. If they would have me back I'd go for sure!

Administrator

Excellent FE College to work for. Students are very dedicated to their students and staff are very committed to helping students succeed. Staff work together well as a team. WEA's are excellent in student services team.

Pros

Friendly Team

Cons

Low Pay

Insights into Richmond upon Thames College

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose

Poor management

Very low pay, poor higher management, badly run college. Very little opportunity for progression.The only bonus is the reasonable hours and generous holiday allowance.

Good work social family balance

It was amazing working at Richmond college with excellent and supportive management, employees support was excellent and yearly incremental wage was welcomed, fixed hours allowed to plan social and family life.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

Management changed

Challenging environment with constant changes in management

It was a good place to work with some amazing team members. As IT and telecomms Support Manager I felt a lot of pressure of work due to IT systems not being upgraded in time. There were a lot of management changes during my time.

a friendly but challenging organisation

A small london college with a lot of challenges. Very friendly staff Location is not the greatest, with limited transport links Advantage of staff parking

Fun and productive

We got to interact with new potential students and help to college. It was fun because I got to meet new people and improve myself by being more extroverted.

Productive and fun workplace

Management were on top of health and safety. Team co-ordination among sub-contractors were on point, a lot of harmony at work place. Lifting Team were Great

Pros

free Parking

Cons

Out Of Town

Richmond College

The department I worked in was great. My manager was very supportive and allowed me to grow. The college made working there pleasurable and gave ample opportunities for promotion.

Pros

Good understanding great manager

Cons

Traffic to get there.

Challenging Enironment

Fast paced and ver changing environment. Non secure environment due to ever changing organisation. Lack of job security and knee reaction by management to issues and problems arising.

Education

Spent 2 year's In SL studying and understanding life skills. Then spent a year in construction, plumbing. 3 consecutive years as a student representative.

fun

I worked as a volunteer, it was very fun, the people who I helped coach were very friendly and they had a great season. I would defiantly volunteer there again.

Good

I have already reviewed this college elsewhere. It was a great place to work. it is currently being redeveloped and I think it will be even more successful

Pros

Staff

Cons

A varied and demanding yet enjoyable role

No one day was the same, the role required that all aspects of managing quality compliance, assurance and improvement across an FE college offering both standard curriculum courses at all levels with a small HE offer and Apprenticeships. Dealing with awarding bodies, external verification and annual audits, arranging and delivering training. Dealing with all curriculum area's queries and problems. Investigating and resolving queries and complaints with integrity. Meetings with Senior Leadership Team members to ensure the quality cycle was being adhered to. Leading on Observations of Teaching, Learning and Assessment in different curriculum areas to ensure Ofsted standards were being met and that all learners were receiving a quality experience from the college. Working closely with the apprenticeship team to ensure quality of delivery and visiting employers. Delivering training on Ofsted requirements for Apprenticeships. Visting subcontractors to give advice and guidance to ensure compliance. Managing a small team of people, there was a great feeling of commaraderie and support among colleagues at all levels. The hardest part was ensuring deadlines were being met and getting sufficient evidence for audits etc.

Pros

Job satisfaction

Cons

Long and unreliable travel options

Supportive place to work

I have never worked with so many committed people in my career life. The management is hard working and very supportive. The financial rewards could be better but they're not the worst and 29 days of holidays to start with is great. Sometimes it's better to choose an appreciation and job satisfaction over the money.

Pros

Annual leve, new building in construction

Fun and rewarding

This mostly included helping a group of young adults with disabilities in their day to day tasks for an hour every week, such as helping them tend to their garden and delivering flowers around the college.

Pros

Extremely Rewarding

Cons

Fast-paced and rewarding sixth form learning environment

This role is a peripatetic role and involves working one-to-one or in small groups with learners in classes and in workshops. I provide specialist support to learners with SpLDs. This includes collaborating with the local authority via EHC plans, the student, their subject tutors and other members of my team to put in place strategies to help the learners to work independently by end of each academic year. I also provide exam-access arrangements such as scribing, reading, exam invigilator and more. I also work with learner-inclusive technology such as electronic reading pens. Curriculum areas I have covered include FS Maths, FS English, Childcare, Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, Art and Design, Business, Sports Studies, Hair and Beauty.

Pros

local

No two days the same

There is no such thing as a typical day in teaching, especially in IT and especially when teaching young students. I worked within a dynamic team that didn't need to be micro-managed and we all got on very well. The hardest part of the job is keeping on top of all the marking & admin, but doing the job - the actual teaching - is one of the most enjoyable pleasures there can be sometimes.

Fun Workplace

I learnt many things at richmomd collage. The teachers were nice and caring. I had may other students in my class The hours for my classes were good i learnt a lot

productive and enjoyable workplace

The workplace and people were very welcoming; they all helped me when needed and never made me feel uncomfortable. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was being able to make a blog for the company which made me really feel apart of the staff.

Productive and fun workplace

I have experience in communicating with all types of young people in my previous job whether they are into things that I may not be totally interested in I am able to listen to them and make them feel comfortable. I also am very motivating and encourage young people to chase their dreams and show them the correct paths to take to get there. I also have experience in challenging stereotypes and encouraging debates as i encourage them to be accountable for the words they speak. I also challenge the young people to be creative and have helped organise events with them and have also set up a film making group with them. In the group we would film events around the college and they also helped make an introduction film to our youth centre. Many times in the college I have helped students to complete their assignments when they are in need of help and have also pointed them out to certain books and additional learning support centre.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Richmond upon Thames College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Richmond upon Thames College with

Richmond upon Thames College reviews by location

Learn about Richmond upon Thames College in popular locations

• Richmond upon Thames College
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?