Richmond upon Thames College

Richmond upon Thames College Employee Reviews

Lovely atmosphere. The staff really make a difference. Good facilities. I only left as I was leaving the country. If they would have me back I'd go for sure!
It was amazing working at Richmond college with excellent and supportive management, employees support was excellent and yearly incremental wage was welcomed, fixed hours allowed to plan social and family life.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Management changed
It was a good place to work with some amazing team members. As IT and telecomms Support Manager I felt a lot of pressure of work due to IT systems not being upgraded in time. There were a lot of management changes during my time.
A small london college with a lot of challenges. Very friendly staff Location is not the greatest, with limited transport links Advantage of staff parking
We got to interact with new potential students and help to college. It was fun because I got to meet new people and improve myself by being more extroverted.
Management were on top of health and safety. Team co-ordination among sub-contractors were on point, a lot of harmony at work place. Lifting Team were Great
Pros
free Parking
Cons
Out Of Town
The department I worked in was great. My manager was very supportive and allowed me to grow. The college made working there pleasurable and gave ample opportunities for promotion.
Pros
Good understanding great manager
Cons
Traffic to get there.
Fast paced and ver changing environment. Non secure environment due to ever changing organisation. Lack of job security and knee reaction by management to issues and problems arising.
Spent 2 year's In SL studying and understanding life skills. Then spent a year in construction, plumbing. 3 consecutive years as a student representative.
I worked as a volunteer, it was very fun, the people who I helped coach were very friendly and they had a great season. I would defiantly volunteer there again.
I have already reviewed this college elsewhere. It was a great place to work. it is currently being redeveloped and I think it will be even more successful
Pros
Staff
Cons
No one day was the same, the role required that all aspects of managing quality compliance, assurance and improvement across an FE college offering both standard curriculum courses at all levels with a small HE offer and Apprenticeships. Dealing with awarding bodies, external verification and annual audits, arranging and delivering training. Dealing with all curriculum area's queries and problems. Investigating and resolving queries and complaints with integrity. Meetings with Senior Leadership Team members to ensure the quality cycle was being adhered to. Leading on Observations of Teaching, Learning and Assessment in different curriculum areas to ensure Ofsted standards were being met and that all learners were receiving a quality experience from the college. Working closely with the apprenticeship team to ensure quality of delivery and visiting employers. Delivering training on Ofsted requirements for Apprenticeships. Visting subcontractors to give advice and guidance to ensure compliance. Managing a small team of people, there was a great feeling of commaraderie and support among colleagues at all levels. The hardest part was ensuring deadlines were being met and getting sufficient evidence for audits etc.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Long and unreliable travel options
I have never worked with so many committed people in my career life. The management is hard working and very supportive. The financial rewards could be better but they're not the worst and 29 days of holidays to start with is great. Sometimes it's better to choose an appreciation and job satisfaction over the money.
Pros
Annual leve, new building in construction
This mostly included helping a group of young adults with disabilities in their day to day tasks for an hour every week, such as helping them tend to their garden and delivering flowers around the college.
Pros
Extremely Rewarding
Cons
This role is a peripatetic role and involves working one-to-one or in small groups with learners in classes and in workshops. I provide specialist support to learners with SpLDs. This includes collaborating with the local authority via EHC plans, the student, their subject tutors and other members of my team to put in place strategies to help the learners to work independently by end of each academic year. I also provide exam-access arrangements such as scribing, reading, exam invigilator and more. I also work with learner-inclusive technology such as electronic reading pens. Curriculum areas I have covered include FS Maths, FS English, Childcare, Health and Social Care, Travel and Tourism, Art and Design, Business, Sports Studies, Hair and Beauty.
Pros
local
There is no such thing as a typical day in teaching, especially in IT and especially when teaching young students. I worked within a dynamic team that didn't need to be micro-managed and we all got on very well. The hardest part of the job is keeping on top of all the marking & admin, but doing the job - the actual teaching - is one of the most enjoyable pleasures there can be sometimes.
I learnt many things at richmomd collage. The teachers were nice and caring. I had may other students in my class The hours for my classes were good i learnt a lot
The workplace and people were very welcoming; they all helped me when needed and never made me feel uncomfortable. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was being able to make a blog for the company which made me really feel apart of the staff.
I have experience in communicating with all types of young people in my previous job whether they are into things that I may not be totally interested in I am able to listen to them and make them feel comfortable. I also am very motivating and encourage young people to chase their dreams and show them the correct paths to take to get there. I also have experience in challenging stereotypes and encouraging debates as i encourage them to be accountable for the words they speak. I also challenge the young people to be creative and have helped organise events with them and have also set up a film making group with them. In the group we would film events around the college and they also helped make an introduction film to our youth centre. Many times in the college I have helped students to complete their assignments when they are in need of help and have also pointed them out to certain books and additional learning support centre.
I have enjoyed working at Richmond, the staff are friendly and optimistic despite the college enduring financial issues.