River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Found 1,482 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,639 reviews

It wasn’t what I had imagined it to be

I was there for 6 weeks on a temporary contract. I didn’t like the induction there because everything was just being thrown at me and they hyped me up by saying I’ll get training but I didn’t get any training at all so I didn’t really know what I was doing. I was stuck doing the same position for 6 weeks straight when I could’ve done something else during my time there.

Pros

Some staff are friendly and helpful and will let you try something new and different

Cons

Long hours and the shift hours aren’t what you get to choose

LOW Pay. Discriminating Management.

Most of my team were supportive and friendly to approach when there was an issue. However the management is extremely poor, and do not deal with issues when they arise, but only pass them on to those who work below them. I had issues with my payment at the end of my contract. So be aware that River Island tend to underpay their temps, as they are only there for the month, and once your contract has finished, they think they can underpay you, but luckily for me I calculated the hours I had worked, and submitted the figure I should have recived to management, but still nothing has been done to sort this out. They also taxed me, even though I filled out the HMRC form, confirming that my earning are low and should not be taxed. It is bad enough the pay is extremely low for the duties included within the role; stockroom, tills, customer service, handling refunds, answering questions from customers which I had no authority or understanding of, and then River Island decide to underpay on top of this.

Pros

Friendly Customers!

Cons

LOW Pay. Not allowed to Use Toilet, No Water Breaks, Long Hours! Favourited team members. Disrespectful Management.

Fun workspace

They have given me the opportunity to achieve success within the retail business and expand my knowledge on how to service customers in working to the best of my ability

Pros

Uniform allowances

Cons

You can’t choose what floor you can work on

Highly recommend as a first job

I feel valued at work, the culture at work is very relaxed and the managers are very friendly, and helpful. Sometimes it can be stressful on weekends and during sales but there tends to be more staff in so it helps. Customers can sometimes be rude but the managers are very helpful and will take over if you feel like the customer is being unreasonable.

Pros

Friendly environment, lovely staff and management, free uniform every 3 months

Cons

Only 4hr shift pattern and not offer of full time contracts although overtime is often available, many staff members with not enough overtime

Productive work place like a family

Just a great place to work, a good group of people all working hard and together. A great place to get into working in fashion retail, learn through working and from others. Honestly felt like one big family.

Hard work

The culture of River Island is supposed to be very family oriented, but the amount of work expected of you and the long hours do not reflect that! Very little reward or recognition for what you do.

Pros

Staff uniform.

Cons

Long hours, salary.

Poor management and work environment.

Management was always very rude/condescending and picked favourites. If you aren't in the "inner circle" of co-workers as soon as you join this job, people will gossip and spread lies about you behind your back and act fake to your face. Never got till-trained despite asking several times, mental health has improved so much after leaving the job.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Cliquey co-workers, no breaks during 5 hour shifts.

Awful

I would never recommend working here to anyone. The managers are HORRIBLE to staff, especially temps. I have been treated very poorly at this job. When i first started i did not receive training and then got told off when i did not do things “well”. They then threaten to replace you. Have a go if you cannot take overtime constantly. They are VERY inconsiderate of peoples life outside of work and expect you to drop everything to work last minute. One manager when i first joined was very kind to me until i mentioned i had a partner then he started to act off with me, even when i asked for help on my SECOND week working there (barring in mind this is also my very first job) he said “i don’t want to speak to you”. Overall an awfulplace to work, had a horrible experience.

Pros

40% discount

Cons

Everything other than the discount

Very good company with reasonable incentives from higher ups

The company itself is run reasonably well from those at head office with many support networks put in place if any issues arise for staff members. There is however too much lenience for management to not follow correct procedures and base a lot of decisions on favouritism, especially in larger stores. Overall basic entry level is great for a college or uni job, but there is little incentive to progress into management.

Pros

Staff discount, uniform

Cons

Manager favouritism, hard to progress, sometimes unrealistic targets

It is good to start somewhere

River Island is an easy achievable start job but they dont give the option in growing. If you applied for a position then you'll be stuck there until you fully leave the place. ALSO! the managers are completely useless. Most of them don't have any retail experience and just walk around telling you to do everything. I've been made to do technically 3 people's jobs and mine too while the managers were relaxing during their shift in the office. They don't respect anything they say. You may sign for a position but you're probably gonna do literally everything while working on your position too. and dont think the managers will help. They'll see you struggling and just ask if you're okay. Even if you say no and you need help they'll leave coz they never cared!

Pros

40% off on everything from the store you work

Cons

useless and unexperienced and entitled managers

Jobs at River Island

See more jobs

Very long and tiring

Recommend working here if you are a student, maybe 16+ and just want something to do. Can be very tiring especially if your standing at the front 4hrs+. Sometimes the managers forget about you and your stuck doing the same thing for hours which is exhausting and quite boring.

Pros

Free clothes

Cons

Standing for long hours doing the same job

Rude and unprofessional

I worked there for a grand total of 4 weeks. I had booked a weekend off due to a family wedding and when I came back the following weekend I found that there was a new member of staff starting that day that had taken my position. no clear communication. management delivered loud and embarrassing criticism in the middle of the shop floor in front of other staff members and customers. favouritism. scare tactics. patronising.

Pros

other staff memebers were kind and helpful

Cons

expected to know what to do with minimal training

Very repetitive and low pay

Doing the same thing everyday with barely anyone that would talk to me and you get paid a very small amount for effort you put in. I don’t recommend to anyone.

nice place to work

The managers like to compare working here as being part of a family which I completely understand and agree, all the staff are welcoming which helps encourage teamwork making everyone’s job easier, staff offer overtime for those who want it, very fast paced environment especially on holidays or busier days.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Fast paced?

Great place to work and accomplish many goals. I’ve learnt so many skills over the years and my colleagues were amazing people. Everyone was always productive

Worst workplace ever!

Absolutely terrible experience working here. Managed terribly. Would not recommend working here even as a part time student. This job affected my ability at university. God forbid you have priorities outside of RiverIsland. Did you not know that your RI contract is more important than your health, family and education?

Pros

N/a

Cons

Management.

Very productive place

I like the working environment however the job don’t suit my time schedule and I had to leave because of the virus impacted my working. I would defined recommend to someone else

Learn a range of skills to help you in the general working world

Staff were great, worked with some hard workers and down to earth people, management were great. The wages in retail generally are poor for the demand of the full time staff and management. You learn to multi task well and prioritise if you are to become successful in this job

Pros

Social connection, retail covers alot of basic bases, for general work, you can take a lot from it, i to many different lines of work if you apply yourslelf

Cons

No time off over christmas and busy in holidays, poor wages

Productive and fast pace

I worked at riverisland in Reading broad street. Changing career made me miss retail again. I definitely go back to retail because of my development i had

Pros

Clothes

Cons

Management can have better communication on shopfloor

Not very friendly staff

My time working at River Island was a good experience but the staff wasn't very friendly towards me. One of the staff spoke to me very rudely and basically told me to do my task elsewhere away from her but didn't say please and spoke down at me in front of customers. Other staff like management weren't very warm or welcoming and also spoke quite rudely. They never smiled or asked how you were doing.

Pros

Getting a free top

Cons

Rude staff

Awful

Awful place to work no care for your well-being or you as an individual , worked there 8 years and was horrible. Managers are a joke and staff treated like numbers. Avoid!!!

Pros

Discount

Cons

Too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Compare River Island with

• River Island
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?