River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Found 1,466 reviews matching the search
Staff were great, worked with some hard workers and down to earth people, management were great. The wages in retail generally are poor for the demand of the full time staff and management. You learn to multi task well and prioritise if you are to become successful in this job
Pros
Social connection, retail covers alot of basic bases, for general work, you can take a lot from it, i to many different lines of work if you apply yourslelf
Cons
No time off over christmas and busy in holidays, poor wages
I worked at riverisland in Reading broad street. Changing career made me miss retail again. I definitely go back to retail because of my development i had
Pros
Clothes
Cons
Management can have better communication on shopfloor
My time working at River Island was a good experience but the staff wasn't very friendly towards me. One of the staff spoke to me very rudely and basically told me to do my task elsewhere away from her but didn't say please and spoke down at me in front of customers. Other staff like management weren't very warm or welcoming and also spoke quite rudely. They never smiled or asked how you were doing.
Pros
Getting a free top
Cons
Rude staff
Awful place to work no care for your well-being or you as an individual , worked there 8 years and was horrible. Managers are a joke and staff treated like numbers. Avoid!!!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Too many to list
I started working there when I was 18. The pay wasn't necessarily awful as it was above minimum wage but was a lot less than the other employees. They work younger employees until they are run off their feet whilst the older employees stand around having a chat. The management team was awful to me apart from one who helped calm my anxiety from time to time, the other told me to hand my notice in as I fell ill during a shift and had a major anxiety attack. It's a lot better at Christmas when it is busy but afterwards you literally stand twiddling your thumbs waiting for your shift to end. In the end I found out that it wasn't worth my time, I needed money and they refused point blank to give me anymore hours. They also expected me to drop everything to cover a shift which was hard as I was in college at the time. Was gutted to leave some of the staff at they were amazing, but the management let me down and I didn't really fit in with their image. Recommend for seasonal work but not for the rest of the year.
Pros
Decent discount/ money for clothing.
Cons
Worked off your feet if you're below 25
Pretty dull, manager was useless. Training was half arsed and the hours were next to nonexistent at times. Most enjoyable time was going home. Other staff were alright just the main manager was a letdown, only helped out himself and his best mates.
Pros
Air con
Cons
Slow days
It’s an okay place to work if you’re a student/teenager wanting to earning some extra money. I had a great work/personal life balance and enjoyed the discount for clothes but wouldn’t have wanted to stay there long term. I was temporary staff, all other staff working on the shop floor were lovely however management were a bit moody. They’d make an effort to say hello but just weren’t as welcoming as the other staff.
Pros
50% clothes discount
Cons
Not the best pay
Most people are really nice, especially if you find the right type of people. The ones who are easy going will make it and easy place to work. Some of the managers can come off rude but I promise just smile and nod your way threw you’ll be fine. If you are looking for a joe that quite and nothing much to do work here
Pros
Meeting nice people
Cons
Back ache from standing
Really nice location and store.Joined as a Christmas temp in 2020 was not expecting my contract to be extended due to the pandemic so was happily surprised when they did. Interview was relaxed, nice welcoming working environment and management. Good training provided
Pros
Nice management and staff
Cons
Parking is abit far
Initially you will love the role you will find it a great challenge and you will be made to feel very welcome for a few weeks maybe even months and then it will all change, you will get to see the true colours that all the staff are very cliqué and only like certain person which they make known and if you don’t fit into their mould or actually have your own personality it can be very toxic. Management usually sales managers have their favourites and let that be known. Store manager is usually always very competent but faces an uphill battle against these people everyday they really don’t see the place as a team.
Pros
Employee discount, good holiday entitlement
Cons
Long hours, long winded procedures in place, can be very toxic.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at River Island?
a typical day at work is unpredictable. you ca have busy days or very quiet days. prepare to either run about as there is so much to be done or stand for hours waiting for customers.
Pros
free clothes ever 3 months
Cons
Unpredictable productivity
I really enjoyed working at River island it is a shame i am no longer working there it was with agency and i would like a secure job river island was fun and a laugh but also hard at time but i do like to be challenged and to achieve that challenge. I would like to remain in warehouse work
For the most part I do look back at RI with fond memories, however my particular store had a high level of management turnover which impacted drastically. There were definitely favourites, this has changed now from what I have heard however when I worked there it had a culture of management letting certain people get away with everything and others with nothing which can really impact on morale. Sometimes it felt like floor staff were punished for the high stress piled onto management. Looking more positively, there were plenty of overtime opportunities and progression could be achieved with hard work. The brief at the start of each shift was a fabulous idea, however I would have liked more one-to-one's as sometimes staff could be criticised in front of other members of staff or customers on the shop floor which is unprofessional. Rewards wise, there was 'Employee of the Month' and encouragement to praise fellow staff for hard work however this was not always completed due to the levels of managerial staff turnover mentioned above. I myself had wonderful thorough training, however by the time temps were taken on this had changed and I found they were on the tills with no training and it was left up to Sales Assistants to help them. This then led to resentment from certain staff and a bad atmosphere. The way they were treated by management and fellow staff was appalling at times. The pay was great, and although it could be sometimes dull during the week as this was a quiet store, you could usually keep yourself busy. Could be rude customers as with any job; RI has a very - more...
River Island is a great company to work for if you have good management. Salary is not too bad and great perks. They have a big turn over of employee’s.Discount for clothes.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Easy, straight forward and outstanding support and teamwork . Good team meetings. The goals that were set were brilliant. Rewards and benefit. Pension scheme. Incentives were provided for daily tasks for who achieved the most sales for the specific task
Pros
/discount/ comfortable/enjoyable/fun/great atmosphere
Cons
Area manager at the time 2008 very clicky felt she was too good to do any thing would walk past items on floor and go to back off store to get staff to pick it up no team work from headoffice except from the hr department ! Treated shop staff badnot a great company to be management in but it may have changed since i was there
Pros
uniform discount
Cons
area manager
Although I enjoyed most aspects of my role, the constant stress and pressure of trying to turn around a failing store with no support or empathy from higher management (area managers and higher) became too much very quickly. Salary was very poor compared to monthly earnings of full time sales advisors and supervisors (on average £50 a month difference between floor manager and full time cashiers). A lot stores in desperate need of refits but for some reason the goal was to open as many as 4 stores in 1 city rather than focusing on improving existing stores. Head office and CEO almost oblivious to issues in store and did nothing to motivate staff. 50% discount and regular uniform allowance was a great benefit but not worth the stress this role caused. Holidays were difficult to plan in due to high amount of staff and very little option to choose from, especially when it came to sales and Christmas time. No time spent at home during the Christmas period and almost no thanks for it. Overall a huge drain on your personal life. The money is absolutely not worth the stress and doesn’t match up with the role expectations.
Pros
Discount, Uniform Allowance, Great Colleagues
Cons
Salary, Constantly Changing Expectations, Oblivious Higher Management
Like most jobs, you put in what you get out. I put a lot of effort into what I do as I really enjoy my job and I get very good job satisfaction for it. Really boosts your people skills/confidence etc. If you actually pull your own weight then great! But if not then don’t apply as the teams are fantastic and slacking will only let them and others down. We have great management if you need to talk to anyone they are more than happy to listen, ideas are taken on board and the days go by pretty quick (again if you put in the work and not stand around moping all day)
Pros
Uniform, discount, good pay, not too much work load
Cons
On your feet all day
I love working for RI. If you love fashion and a challenge then this is the perfect job for you. I love working with the customers and offering my advice.
What can I say? It's Retail. Lets ignore the "bad customers" and just focus on internal.The people I worked with were mostly brilliant. Though some management in store were very lazy. Few occasions where they were caught just sitting in the office on their phone or refusing to come out and deal with something. Very much a case of "if the face fits" though as area management would swoop in, have no idea about anything that's going on and proceed to cause havoc, except for their favourites, which were often the lazy management. Ended up with the store closing down and being offered a role in the new one that was opening. Couldn't wait to leave to be honest. Pretty sure 90% of the staff also said no and went elsewhere.They also didn't pay me for my last month of work and christmas bonus. Got no response from the company when questioning it. Eventually figured I may as well use the old "who you know, not what you know" myself and only got that money because I knew an ex manager of another store quite well, who had just moved into a higher role in the company and he sorted it for me.They're awful.
Pros
Nice people for the most part.
Cons
Pay and management.
watford store manager lacks empathy. she does not understand people and their needs and always looke after her own interest. level of stress is too high for the pay.
Pros
not many
  1. Employee reviews