Riverford Organic Farmers logo
Riverford Organic Farmers
Happiness score is 36 out of 100Low

Riverford Organic Farmers Employee Reviews

Great team

Great team of people management could be alot better I'm very happy with my job they just need to get control of the smaller things if you work fast and get the job done they expect more of you work slow and get away with it

Pros

Annual bonus free tea coffee and toast and fruit

Cons

If you're a good worker they take advantage of that

Ethical company

Strong values, very ethical company. I feel valued and enjoy being part of something important. I have learned a lot about the importance of strong relationships with suppliers and the organic industry since starting.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Hard work

Your choice.

If you are wanting a job that is monotonous and simple with no area for growth this could be the job for you. Keep quiet, keep your head down and you'll be okay, any suggestions keep them to self

Pros

Free veg and drinks

Cons

Early starts, monotonous, poor culture

Boring

Bullying culture from middle management, Middle management not experienced enough.Lack of communication.Health and safety not up to standards that you would expect from a big company.

Pros

Free Grade out Veg, tea and coffee.

Cons

Repetitive, not enough space and very loud music.

Easy going work environment

The job itself is not rocket science but it can be hard work with 70+ deliveries a day to specific locations (leave in greenhouse etc), not just knocking on front door. The boss is not just the nicest boss you'll ever have but one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Pros

Good discount on products, pretty much left to your own devices as long as the job gets done.

Cons

Deliveries to addresses where parking is nearly impossible, so lots of walking carrying heavy (ish) boxes, Not the greatest instruction on how to perform certain tasks involved.

Very bad company

Very bad company to work especially rugby hub because management in there is worse I ever seen all what they care about is how not to do anything ! You can get disciplinary for everything AVOID PLEASE HELP YOUR SELF yiu working from 3am then they expect you to go and do extra job and suprised if you refusing to do it .....and they will force you to do it it's like working at night shift !!

Pros

Not see manager every day

Cons

3 am start

25 February 2021
Thank you for your feedback - we are really disappointed to hear that your experience of working with us so far has not been positive and would be keen to have the opportunity to learn more about your concerns. If you would not feel able to speak to your manager, we would encourage you to contact the People Team for a confidential chat. Alternatively you can email us via jobs@riverford.co.uk.

What a shambles!

This has to be the most overrated company I've ever worked for! The job description failed in many ways ie zero training (due to covid..pfft) local deliveries...driving 30-60 minutes to the first drop isn't local! I was told I would be driving a 3.5 tonne van...a vauxhall vivaro certainly isn't that & no room to work with for moving boxes around so had to take boxes off & unload on the roadside to get to other boxes...not ideal especially in the rain! Having to split up a route again without any training so had to use own initiative regardless if correct or not! What a shambles!!!

Pros

Free fruit & veg, decent pay

Cons

False promises, false area manager

Bully Culture

Under the guise of an employee owned business there is a layer of middle management that seems to think that bullying and mistreatment of key staff is acceptable. Does an ethical company allow bullying of staff, disregard employment law and ACAS process? The head of people (and director) have their own agenda believing they are above the laws set out to protect every employee. A shameful process allowed by directors that are more than aware and yet do nothing. The culture of paying people off to avoid court is a common occurrence and as an employee owned ethical business its unacceptable.

22 September 2020
We are always disappointed when a co-owner leaves us, regardless of the circumstances. We have always said no matter what your job, you are part of creating Riverford as a great place to work, so, wherever we fall short, we want to be able to understand what we could have done better and put it right. We would be really interested to understand more about the challenges you faced and where we could improve. This will help us keep moving forward in the right direction. We would love to hear from you so please do contact us on 01803 227483. Simone - Talent Acquisition Partner

Fast paced, customer facing position

Pros: supportive coworkers, good commission structure, and plenty of free veg to take home Cons: management expectations about London vs rest of UK (ex: there is more traffic, not taken into account), instructions were sometimes incomplete (this concerns van drivers ex: parking spot or load-in spot at big events was not booked in advance)

Shocked at how I've been treated

I heard bad press before working at the farm and now I understand why. There is little to no induction given when you start in a department and I felt heavily reprimanded for making small mistakes. The managers said absolutely nothing to my face about how they felt I was performing as a worker, instead, gave bad reviews and feedback to the agency manager which resulted in me losing my job after 9 weeks of working very hard for them and receiving no bad feedback to my face. I am absolutely disgusted at the lack of respect, according to the agency this is not a unique to me situation, I feel I have no voice and have not been given any warning before being cut. Absolutely awful way to treat someone who has worked hard for you.

Jobs at Riverford Organic Farmers

See more jobs

Lovely place to work with great people

An amazing working environment where you truly feel valued. Very varied and diverse, with strong characters and opinions (in a good way!). Lots of learning opportunity available if you want it, and internal development. Strong management team in place, that are supportive and helpful. Overall a nice environment and a caring employer, which I am proud to be part of.

Fun workplace

A nice atmosphere. The work is usually quite repetitive, but they have a good management team to assist where needed. It is possible to move to different areas within the business.

People Director unproffessional as are the Senior Management Team

Bullying culture. Senior Management Team unprofessional, unqualified, apply bully boy tactics High level of turnover as no people strategy and no confidence that people are treated fairly or with respect. Horrible atmosphere and people scared to have an opinion or disagree with management team.

17 March 2020
Sorry to read this - In 2018, Riverford moved into being employee owned, ensuring our independence and protecting our values forever, as ‘co-owners’; everyone is valued, and every voice is heard. We work hard to keep things simple which, can be summed up in just five words 'We do it our way'. To guide us we have developed three guiding values of Stronger Together, Doing Things Well and Independence. The values and supporting behaviours form the fundamentals of our five-year strategy. The strategy details our plans, actions and measures to be commercially successful; to be an outstanding place to work; to be the nation’s best regarded retailer of organic food; and to be a force for good. Our Bi-annual co-owner survey results show survey upon survey improvements with exceptionally high levels of co-owner engagement, in fact way above the norm. Working with this feedback the senior leaders working collaboratively with co-owners have introduced significant improvements to T&C's (holidays, flexible working, pensions & life insurance). Furthermore, we have introduced a broad range of learning, training and development programmes to ensure co-owners at all levels have the opportunities to grow with Riverford. Being valued and having a voice means every single co-owner plays a vital role in making Riverford the place we want it to be. Small changes made by lots of people make an enormous difference over time.- Kevin Dwyer (Head of People)

Overall good company to work for

Enjoyed my time there but on to new beginnings. Busy days, changeable days, some good support but hard to cover everything. Nice company but needed a change

Horrible

Horrible company. Customer was right no matter what even if you prove you had done everything in your power to help that customer. If a customer wasn't in and you couldn't leave delivery in a safe place you were expected to carry on with your run (being maybe 100 miles away then expected to go back!). Management were poor. Never helped you out just always complained to you. I had a baby boy and was expected to put them before him on my paternity leave.

Great place

A great place to work also for people without experience. Work with young people but also in old age. Relaxed atmosphere.

Franchisee

It is a good business from a franchise model. A scalable environment . I enjoyed my time there and they were able to assist me in selling my business to a new franchisee.

Pros

organic food

Cons

Targets

Production/ packing

Long hours, as they don’t let you know what time you are expected to finish your day. The management is poor with no support. There isn’t enough training.

Working at riverford

Excellent working hours (extended during last week before christmas) employee owned; Yearly split of profits Greater say on how company is run Good working community spirit

Temp work, only, if at all.

Pros include having good subsidised food cooked on site, and some veg you can take away at the end of your shift, uniform allowance. Cons are everything else. Poor pay, don't proactively promote car sharing, non-committal contract, very little scope for job progression, unpredictable hours, no sick pay, poor facilities, brain-destroying work.

Got worst working there

Since start of Christmas 2018 the work is growing and they want more and more from you doing the same hours so the stress is growing all the time . A ll they do is push you more and more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Riverford Organic Farmers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement