Roadchef
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Roadchef Employee Reviews

United Kingdom266 reviews

Featured review

Roadchef selected this as a representative review
Great place to work with good job security. Also lots of development and career opportunities across different brands, with flexibility of hours to support home life and studies.

Pros

Job security, flexibility of hours and career development

7 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are delighted to hear that you’re enjoying your time with us. It's great that you recognise the flexibility and career progression we can offer.If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrquestions@roadchef.com

It’s ok for a first time job

Fine for first time job, if you are a supervisor you have responsibilities as a manager but only paid for a supervisor role. Lack of communication between staff

Pros

Have support for training

Cons

Small staff room, site directors always down your throat

Insights into Roadchef

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Fast pace, great people

It can be challenging at times but the people I work with are amazing. A positive team work culture. Supportive senior management team. Career progression.

Pros

Great people, flexibility, discounted meals, highstreet/brand discounts

Cons

Can be long hours

Its a job

Staffing issues, you seem to be doing 2 3 people jobs in most of the shifts, some people doing insane ammount of hours, higher management. Higher management usually insensitive towards personal needs and carr for mostly for results

Pros

Staff meals, able to pick up extra shifts is needed, good progresion opportunities

Cons

Long hours, short staffed, difficult to get to due to locations

Horrible place to work

Horrible place to work! Was there for so many years and they kept on asking you to come in and they never said thank you or anything! If you ever asked for days off they always said I can see what I can do! I did everything for them

Pros

£1 meals

11 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please can you drop a note to hrquestions@roadchef.com, with the best number to contact you, so we can understand your concerns in more detail.

Good for students

Good job opportunities for students. Pay rate is quite low when you think that you have to travel there every day. You get discounts on other Roadchefs.

11 July 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We are working hard to build a good culture at Roadchef, and we're glad to see the value in the flexible working and flexible benefits that we offer.If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrquestions@roadchef.com

Poor management

Management of the facility was not handled well in general with labour costs always kept extremely low which meant whenever bus loads of people would pull in you would be run off your feet with very upset customers that their food takes too long to be made

Cons

very quiet periods

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry that your experience at Roadchef did not match our intention of being the best place you ever worked. We are taking your feedback and will look to address all the places we missed in delivering a great experience for you. If you would like to share more about your experiences please contact us by emailing hrquestions@roadchef.com, so that we can set up a time to talk. Thank you again for the feedback. It helps us make Roadchef a better place and best of luck for the future.

fun workplace

I will arrive at work to be greeted by my colleagues. A normal work day is filled with fun and laughter. Sometimes it can get stressful but there is always someone like a manager, supervisor or just a colleague to help you out.

17 June 2022
Thanks for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Roadchef. While we have things to work on, we're glad you're enjoying the culture and that you're day is filled with fun and laughter...that's fantastic.We appreciate that it can be busy and stressful at times but it's great that you've recognised the support that you get from your Managers and colleagues.We really appreciate everything you do for us and we’ll continue to work hard to make Roadchef the best place possible to work and build a career.

Bareable

At times very challenging due to management and conflicts between existing staff which then effects the rest of the workforce. They expect a lot but then give little flexablility in return. At the end of the day a job is a job, if i had more oppertunities, would not continue working here.

Pros

£1 lunches and fair discount

Cons

Long hours and no flexability

Good place

Decent place to work and a laugh with the people. Can be really busy sometimes. Lots of different types of people to meet and get to know. Management are nice and everyone seems to get in with each other most of the time.

Pros

£1 meals

Cons

Can be very tiring

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are delighted to hear that you’re enjoying your time with us. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrquestions@roadchef.com

Avoid if you have mental health issues

Severe lack of staff. Shift managers were hit and miss; some listened to issues, made the shifts enjoyable with good shift plans and had the ability to adjust on the fly for absences/busy periods, others palmed you off and were content to stand on their phones or go out back for smokes/vapes. Repeated hiring of teenagers with no work ethic to boost numbers who enjoy standing around doing nothing, while the elder/senior members of staff were left to work/clean. Not much in the way of staff rotation, there were never enough active crew trainers to help new starters move around stations, so they'd be all but locked into one station for their shifts. Constant additions to the work load without more crew to accomodate. Staff morale was at constant low, general unhappy atmosphere behind the counter, very clique-y. Notable favouritism. Staff room is outside of the building in a modified shipping container, meaning if you want food, you might have to run through rain/snow to get to the staffroom depending on the weather. Money was spent poorly on repairs, instead of fully replacing broken equipment. Ongoing rat problem, could see them in the bushes or near the drivethru as I left on a night.

Pros

None.

Cons

See above.

17 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Please can you drop a note to hrquestions@roadchef.com, with the best number to contact you, so we can understand your concerns in more detail.

Been here just under 1 year now and it's been really good the job has given me the flexibility to take my daughter to nursery on set days as well as days off to move on short notice after being in store management for 6 years roadchef have been very flexible if I ever need time off something I never got being a manager Weekends and bank holidays are very busy but that is to be expected I get a good work life balance and I'm never pestered on my days off like in some previous jobs I've had Lots of progress within the company if needed or wanted also the 1 pound meals and coffee is a good bonus during a busy shift The people on the unit also make the day funny and enjoyable

Pros

Discounted food and drinks

Cons

Nothing personally from Me

20 May 2022
Thank you for the wonderful feedback and taking the time to write a review...it means a lot to us. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrquestions@roadchef.com

Flexible hours and shifts were key for me when looking for a job/career. The team I work with are fantastic and we all get on well and support each other. There are so many promotion opportunities within the sites and units so it’s up to individuals how quickly they wish to progress. The management team are always there to help train and give guidance.

Pros

Flexible hours, holidays, the people

Cons

Fast paced, sometimes stressful

13 May 2022

Busy long understaffed unrealistic expectations and double standards, a jobs a job you're just a number to them high turnover for a reason.

Constantly changing minds on who was being promoted who was doing what who was working what shift, family commitments not adhered to, treated like just another number on payroll, ridiculous absence policy of 4 per 12 months like you can plan how many times your poorly? Displinaries are biased and double standards if you're liked you get away with murder speak your mind and you're shunned and belittled.

13 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d really like to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please can you drop a note to hrquestions@roadchef.com, with the best number to contact you, so we can understand your concerns in more detail.

I would not recommend anyone to work at Roadchef Clacket Lane East. The younger mangers are very understanding and nice. However the older managers are horrible. Please don’t work here if you want good mental health. On top of that they make you do stuff that they wouldn’t even do and they have a system if they like you a lot then work will be easy but if they don’t like you then you are treated like a nobody.

28 April 2022

Hit and miss company all for the money.

They will make it seem like you matter then when after a while they will use and abuse you try and get you to work more then you should and try to pinpoint problems on you when it wasn’t you that did it so you have to pick up the slack for others. Management are lazy pretty much there is the odd one here and there who appreciate the staff. Be transparent and stand your ground with this company..they love to walk over people.

28 April 2022
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Roadchef. I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience during your time here,We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please can you drop a note to hrquestions@roadchef.com, with the best number to contact you, so we can understand your concerns in more detail.Thank you again for the feedback and best of luck for the future.

Fast paced

Wouldn’t recommend working here The managers are absolutely horrible to the younger staff. Are expected to do so much at once

Pros

£1 staff meals

Cons

Didn’t appreciate the way I was spoken to off managers

Unprofessional

One of the worst places I've ever worked. Roadchef is full of managers who think they can treat people like absolute rubbish. There are managers there that are worse than other but overall a very unprofessional establishment. Most days you're made to feel like you can't do your job, constantly being micromanaged. Staff are overworked. Roadchef care more about the business than they do their employees, if you say no to working extra hours they will make it known that they're annoyed with you even though you've already worked 40+ hours. Anyone wondering why staff turnover is so high there just read the rest of the reviews, or ask other members of staff before actually working there. They're struggling with very little staff now and that's because nobody wants to work there!!

Mediocre pay, understaffed, Catty managers

Very clique environment to work in. Development opportunities are fairly good with options across different brands and apprenticeships. Pay is ok, but isn't remaining competitive as time goes on. Understaffed, lots of broken equipment, building is falling apart. General rudeness among senior managers that give little support. Get along with majority of other people. Fast paced, stressful, catty.

12 April 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We are working hard to build a good culture at Roadchef, and we're glad you see the value in our training and development programmes on offer to help and support team members in their career development - that's great feedback for us. It would be great if you could drop a note to hrquestions@roadchef.com, with the best number to contact you, so we can understand your other comments in more detail.We appreciate everything you do for us and thanks for being at Roadchef

Great workplace

Supportive and understanding management. Great benefits for employees. Love working here!

Pros

Free food Fridays Meal for £1 whilst on shift Discount for roadchef sites

12 April 2022
Thank you for the wonderful feedback and taking the time to write a review...it means a lot to us. We appreciate everything you do for us and we’ll continue to work hard to make Roadchef the best place possible to work and build a career.If you have any further feedback to share please email us at hrquestions@roadchef.com

Learn to Serve ..Act in Simplicity

A baptism of high action as people returned to the M5 holiday run..I appreciated the great spirit present in the team as tens of hundreds came to eat and rest off the M5.A good return to the workplace after family change.Good shift pattern...tied into the McDonald's system of operation.A place to learn what it means to act in service..to execute on one's gifts and capacity.Managerial change and cyclical nature of traffic flow on the M5 meant hours were not always available.High five to the team..to the cleaners and cooks at Roadchef.Amen.

12 April 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We are working hard to build a good culture at Roadchef, and we're glad you saw the benefit of the flexible hours and training we could provide...whilst in a great team sprit.High five to you too and all the best for the future!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roadchef. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Roadchef with

Learn about Roadchef in popular locations

• Roadchef
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?