Robert Gordon University logo
Robert Gordon University

Robert Gordon University Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Productive and interesting environment

Assisting with research, with a primary role in the recruitment of participants and also performing a research study. with a very enjoyable and interesting working environment.

Productive and fun workplace

Diverse, clean and friendly environment. Meet lots of new people. Teaching staff were very helpful. Plenty of places to eat healthy food and quiet study areas.

Worrying culture at RGU

The willing and able staff end up over burdened. The clique that run after seeking to be seen by management get easy work loads. This can be stressful .

Pros

Peer support

Cons

Institutional.culture

Unhelpful manager, xenophobic co-workers

Unhelpful manager, xenophobic co-workers. Upon arrival to work one day was immediately interrogated by my line manger for the day as to my ethnic origins. I did not feel this was any of her business, certainly not in the way she was asking.

Review summary

Awful place, terrible management and supervisors. The culture was all wrong and the principal was just there for the money. He got found out when he put his mate's name forward for a job there, and ''Forgot' to mention that he lived in a castle that he (the principal) used to own.

Pros

Cons

Incompetence, Sneaky supervisors.

productive

This is a work I am happy doing because it teaches me many valuable things like how to communicate well with people and how to manage my time effectively.

Disorganised, but fun

There is no typical day at work, which is definitely a benefit. There's always something new to do. However, management seems to be quite poor and there is no knowledge transfer whatsoever. Moreover, often you get a task and then work that you've done is not required anymore, which comes back to the poor management.

Friendly staff, good fair management, suitable for those over 30 if you want to become part of the workplace culture. Its pretty laidback and easy work

Pros

educational discount for various shops

Lots of variety in the job. Never boring.

A nice group of people to work with. Very friendly. Lots of different jobs to do. Coffee breaks were a ritual, many throughout the day, can't afford to get too tired.

Average salary with minimum job security and potential for advancement

Average salary with minimum job security and potential for advancement. Management was unable to encourage positive job culture among employees with diverse cultural and organisational background.

Steady, but progress is slow

Reliably predictable working routine. Lots of opportunities to study various types of subjects with all the information at your fingertips. However it takes many years to progress within the organization.

Pros

Reliably predictable

Cons

Slow to progress.

Excellent work colleagues

I get on very well with those I work with and with management. Very likeable bunch. Poor salary for a job which you cannot fit a part time job around

Rgu

A typical day involved being present at the reception and ensuring everyone was signed into the building to comply with fire safety regulations and that they all signed out again upon leaving.

Bon environnement de travail

Très bonne équipe travaillant sur un projet qui pour ma part m'a plus que motivé !

Temporary Work

I've worked 2 contracts at RGU as well as ad hoc work where needed in the Computing and Digital Media department. I work 9-5 with the option of working at home once a week.

Work Experience Student

I was only here for a week, and in that week i felt a little out of place. I was made to look for a place to go for my work experience back when i was in S4. So because of this i chose this place because it had the most things in common with what i wanted to study in further education.

Pros

Learnt valuable skills

Cons

No pay, long commute

productive

voluntary work with voice of reason a group of young people who have been involved with the care system as a child. its something very important to me as this is the career past I want to go down.

Job as an Associate Lecturer

I was fortunate to be proposed in the position of Associate Lecturer, where I was actively involved in delivering lectures to undergraduate/postgraduate students. This was the most enjoyable part of the job and frankly I could not recall any negative moments whilst in this position. I had to leave in order to pursue my MSc.

Pros

Active interaction between the student and the lecturer's community

Cons

N/a

Fantastic work experience

Great experience and work team. Excellent working environment. Well organised learnt: time management Information management great communication skills with student

Pros

flexible working hours

Fair

Fair but lacking with Professional Management to oversee staff development and support. No local site supervisory support provided

Cons

Lack of Supervisory Support

Wide variety of duties - interesting job

Job calls for a wide range of skills and knowledge. Useful to have a trade or 'experienced' DIY'er background. Shifts can be very disruptive to family life if you have young kids.

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Bad shift patterns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Robert Gordon University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement