Robertson Group
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Robertson Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom81 reviews

Fast-Paced but Rewarding

The work is fast-paced but rewarding with a lot of opportunities to develop available. I find the managers to all be supportive and encouraging of my personal development and find my team to open and collaborative with changes. The fact it's family owned you still get a smaller more personal feel despite its size.Areas that could be improved are the benefits offered as they aren't the most competitive.

Great company

Robertson FM is a great company to work for. If you work hard you will get the opportunity to advance your career and all levels of management are approachable. The business has grown a lot in the last few years so the systems and processes aren't in place for every type of service. Support functions are getting better but act as advisors so it is always left to operational teams to do everything.

Insights into Robertson Group

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Fast paced environment

Work in a Secondary school setting, and it's a fast paced workplace to say the least. Company are good to work for, but the expectation of dropping everything when the **** hits the fan and staying all hours is a bit of a pain. Overall, happy though.

Pros

Job security, good pay.

Cons

Expectation of staying back if there is a problem, regardless of family plans. And never getting away from the place, constant calls even if your are on holiday.

Worst job ive had

You are expected to cover 3 or 4 other people's jobs only in the time you have do to your own job with no extra pay managers are useless and feel the lazy workers get all the praise while the hard workers get extra work put on them constantly.site manager and caretakers are all really good and that is when actually feel part of a team.otherwise line mangers just say get on with it or you know where the door is.which is disgusting and feel other workers at different sites are bullied by certain supervisors.

Pros

None overworked due to other people being off and having to do their work too

Rewarding and fast paced

The work can be demanding but very rewarding especially on the majority of the contracts that partner with the local communities. A lot of employees including myself are proud to work for Robertson Facilities Management. Overall a great company with a good business plan and objectives to improve things over coming years based on employee feedback. Some approvals can be slow due to family business nature and benefits could be improved but they do value the employees and provide development opportunities.

Pros

Good culture, development and proud

Cons

Approvals take a while and benefits could be improved

Nice friendly great life work balance

So far this company ticks all the boxes of getting the work life balance correct, I feel fully supported by the team and management, the hours I work suits my life perfect, and the work is stress free to a certain extent. Been here nearly 5 months, and so far I feel it’s the job for me for a long time.

Pros

Work van, great hours of work

Cons

On call every 3 weeks

I am really enjoying working for this company, the work is fast-paced however, the management team and my colleagues are very supportive. I feel like I was made to feel part of the team straight away and was trusted in the role instantly and I feel very grateful to be part of this business.

Pros

Team culture, engagement, support, flexibility

Fast paced, but varied

Every day is different at RFM, in a good way. I have autonomy in my role to carry out my role without being micro-managed. My manager is supportive of my role and approachable if I have any concerns. Like many organisations, there can be frustrations, but it's no different than anywhere else I've worked.

Blame culture

The pressure you are under from middle management, goes beyond your pay scale. Their failings are your problem and they will not listen to your opinion. Turn over of staff is fast and short falls in staff recruitment are covered by agency, which causes many issues. Repairs and replacement parts is very slow, sometimes taking over 6 months to arrive. In my working career this is by far the worst company l have worked for.

Cons

Your life style is affected by the shift paterns

Fast paced, demanding but rewarding

Great place to work particularly on Major Projects . A lot of interesting projects but you must be prepared to work away from home. Senior management and board members are demanding but your efforts are rewarded. Family based organisation and the family values apply throughout the busines.

Pros

Good salary, look after people when you perform, career progression for those looking for promotions

Busy company

A UK wide construction company carrying out all levels of construction from small works to major construction sites, high standards and very open to everyone in employment.

Strongly Divisive Management

Robertson, if you work in the Northeast or Scotland it is great. In the Northwest for Robertson FM, it has been a really disappointing experience. A defined culture of senior managers working in silos fearful of losing power or post and subsequently developing a culture of fear and non-inclusion at the demise of the contract.Grass root staff and supervisors are brilliant and pretty much spend all their time mopping up the mistakes of temporary managers. Turnover of staff is huge, the average manager time in the role is around 6 months. Training, development and leadership opportunities are non-existent.Overall, not challenging or technical enough, no learning opportunities and absolutely no development or advancement opportunities. Fundamentally, if you don't cow down to poor senior management you become ostracised and forced to leave.Dated irresponsible management with the 1980s hires and fire mentality and zero leadership ability. Most are ex Carillion and it shows extensively.

Pros

Home working.

Cons

Poor working culture, terrible senior management, no personal development or training opportunities.

Terrible place run by idiots

Robertson are trying to break into this area and the project site was meant to be a 'blueprint' yet the hoarding was like a car scrap yard from the outside. The H&S was a joke and I was fearful of injuring myself everyday and that was just walking to the loo and back I never actually went on site. There is a terrible hiring and firing culture and everyone said how useless the PM was and were constantly talking about him behind his back with the construction manager and QS in particular. I would love to have warned him but it wasn't long b4 I saw for myself what he was like and agreed with them. The money was scrap and the site and portacabins awful although later they smartened things up. The Pm was accusing me of all sorts behind my back or so it was alleged

No good

Terrible didn’t like bosses people are ignorant unorganised don’t make u feel welcome as a young labourer gained no real knowledge or experience from Robertson’s at all

Engineer - RFM - avoid at all cost

By far the worst company I have ever worked for. The senior management release info and procedures that the lower management don’t follow. Mid management cover lower management. Catch 22 you have to raise grievances to solve the most basic issues (including H&S). Employees don’t last - ones that do are the bottom of the barrel. Sooner or later there will be fatalities or tribunals and I have no sympathy. Do nt work here.

Pros

Cons

Everything - if you could give zero stars - I would...!

Terrible

My experience with this Company was very mixed. My line manager never once showed any interest in what i was doing and i always had the feeling that he wanted me to fail which was bizarre. The other peole in different departments on the other hand really appreciated what i was doing and i made some great friends there too. The atmosphere was pretty toxic and mid management went out of their way to try and make sure you failed as it made them look like they know what they are doing. Building wise they always left a good product and health and safety has never been the same since the Manager left about months ago he appeared to be sorting things about and then i heard he had left and it has gone down hill since. Commuting from West Lothian to Stirling was ok so that was a bonus but i was just glad to leave just before i was furloughed.

Pros

Some friendly people there

Cons

they treat staff really badly and they don, t care if they fail

Very ageist company

Robertson commitment to youth (I believe they have awards for this) makes them a very ageist company. Great if you're under 30, but as an older worker nearing 60 I was ostracised, set up for failure and treated with contempt. Sure there are a few older people there, but they have been there for years. A lot will be replaced by under 25's. Also more likely to get a job if female.

Poor new management

During my time with Robertsons, we had a manager change. Nobody informed the cleaning staff. The new manager then took 11months to meet we staff, very poor! There is no communication between management and cleaners. I enjoyed my time working where I was, but due to the wrong wages carry on etc, I left. No training given and poor communication, H&S poor!!!

I was in experience

I used to do my work experience there, cuz I love to do construction and cuz are a very good team and cuz they know how to make the best things for the company and they working are great.

Depends where you work

Robertson Group is a huge organisation and like any other large group the employment experience depends on where you work and who you work with and for.

Fast-paced and competitive, yet friendly working environment

As a marketing intern I was involved in any tasks that needed completed towards new projects, any admin tasks such as completing spreadsheets and printing/ laminating. Also included completing google analytics and other general marketing. i had an extremely insightful and enjoyable time during my work experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Robertson Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement