Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council logo
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Compared to other authorities they are behind in some sectors but they are hoping to change this

The authority has undergone lots of changes in recent years but overall I would say this has resulted in positive outcomes. Budget restrictions owing to central government cuts has seen a reduction in the workforce. It has embraced technology using innovative IT systems and training is widely available and promoted at all levels

I have always been supported unequivocally and felt very secure in my job. I have made fantastic advances in my career due to the various learning and advancement opportunities that were made available to me. My job fitted around my family due to my superior accommodating my needs.

Pros

Job security, good leadership, career development opportunities

Cons

Stressful at times

X warden

Loved my job so sad we were all made redundant. My old clients really miss having a face to face on a morning. And more now this COVID-19 has arrived. Really SAD

Cons

Extremely badly managed and no support

No support from management, residential home poorly run. No money or activities for children.Staff lied at during interview by management and above.Treat you like dirt

Pros

Going home

Cons

Sleep ins, weekend work, management are no help

Worked on behalf of Rotherham Borough Council

worked on behalf of Rotherham Borough Council in town working for Kingdom they never even paid us furlough they never got in touch to let us know what was happening absolutely a disgrace treat you like dirt

Pros

Cons

dont care about you

Treat people with disabilities like dirt

Treat people that become disabled like dirt and couldn't wait to get rid of me management treated me like I was a piece of meat finished on ill health and pay was shocking

Pros

Cons

Treated like dirt

Slow paced and lacking change

The very sector prevents change due to politics, democracy, red tape and convoluted processes making a role in change impossible. Some people are lacking urgency and direction where as others have great ideas and plans but are not heard

Decent place to work

Enjoy working with the public .Hardest part of job is being on 24/7 call out can get busy and tiring .Nice to work in different locations and the work is varied.

Pros

Good working hours

Cons

Being on emergency call out

A good employer in difficult times

the authority is having to make cuts to public services all the time so job security is less good than it has been. Management is more focussed on savings and short cut solutions to cutting costs.

Cleaning operative

I've worked at rawmarsh comp for about ? months now. And in that time we only have been fully staffed 4X. Not much attempt at getting new staff to start to cover the work load from other staff. Staff are expected to pull in on other people's jobs areas while management don't do anything to lighten the load. The school is dirty due to lack of cleaning staff. More cleaning staff is needed on permanent contract and they need to have (as and when) cleaning staff also to cover illness and staff leaving. Kids eat in class open drinks soups in bins loads of plastic bottles all over the classroom. Tables chairs just sprawled all over the classroom. kids have no respect in putting rubbish in bins or just tucking a chair under the table. Apart from that hours of work 3:15-6:15 term time only is a bonus. cleaning staff friendly most of them work hard but look out for the slackers.

Pros

Term time only hours

Cons

Lack of staff

Jobs at Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

See more jobs

At the time I worked there job security was very good, I don't think that's the case now. Staff were very down to earth and good to work with. Flexi working hours and good holidays.

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Work not varried

Temporary

Was a little short notice at when the job ended. I also felt like I wasn't given enough to do and was capable of alot more. There were some great people in the team but also some bickering which was uncomfortable to be around.

Overstretched team

A committed local authority who strives for the best for the local population of Rotherham. However due to continued need to cut the budget staff are often pushed beyond what would normally be expected of them.

Pros

Flexible hours

Productive Place

Nice place to work at Worked on a voluntary basis and gained admin experience. Duties included: • Utilising Microsoft software to tabulate and evaluate results on Excel; sending out invites to meetings using Outlook and writing reports using Word • Handling calls, passing on messages and dealing with enquires. • Taking minutes during meetings and setting the agenda. • Working within a team to ensure all tasks are completed on time.

The gas team at RMBC building works dept was the best

Spent 16 years on housing repairs at RMBC.Absolutely loved my time there.Made some wonderful friends for life.Unfortunately building works is no more. How I wish we could turn back the clock.

Pros

good pay, pension scheme, flexible working

Cons

No cons

Developing

Found this Local Authority developing from the previous Ofted report which rated them poor.found that the staff were busy and cleeky there was a lack of togetherness. Felt supported by the line manager. Overall Management was not supportive

Pros

Developing working Practice in Tackling past CSE issues

Cons

staff over worked and underpaid

enjoyed the job

in the years i was there it was brill enjoyed every minute off it learnt more from here then any other place ive worked, brilliant people loved it. great place great people

Pros

happy place

Cons

not full time

Supportive, but not enough staff

Great job in principle, but not enough staff to be able to do a good job. I love being able to support people with medical needs to be rehoused to accessible housing, but there is not enough housing stock or staff to feel I can to a good job.

Pros

Great ethos and good teamwork.

Cons

Not enough staff

fun workplace

I like to help children with their struggles. such as not being able to cut up their dinner. the management is very good. its a typical day at work with the same things each day.

Never a dull day...

Working with young children can be challenging but I do believe with the right guidance we can give them a better outcome within education. I love learning with the kids as well as them teaching me key skills. On a day to day basis I typically help maintain the technology classrooms, get work out ready for the kids to work on, laser cut, chop up wood and acrylic needed for the practical lessons, make and prepare food in food studies with the SEN children and overall help the children within lessons acting as their teaching assistant. Coming to work is great because I love the people I work with, they are all helpful and kind to me and really make me want learn more about teaching. The hardest part of my job is not finding the time in a day to get everything done to the standard I would wish it to be.

Pros

The kids, my work colleagues.

Cons

The naughty kids at times.

great place to work supportive staff

Brinsworth is a fantastic place to work the staff are so helpful and supportive. All the staff want the very best for their pupils and will go all out to ensure they achieve.

Pros

friendly managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement