Royal Air Force

Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

The RAF has given me the opportunity to not only travel the world and be paid to do so, it has also invested in me as a person by ensuring I’m suitably qualified for my job role. Civilian life you can focus on one aspect of a field the RAF will give you the opportunity and training to be qualified in all aspects of that given field. You can also be trained to instruct in these fields once you have reached a certain level.
Pros
World travel, benefits, pay, qualifications, education
Cons
Some trades are slow to advance in, promotion system is at times laughable and it also based on your ability to do your primary role.
Times were changing as I went through my career. Seemed like a lot of the younger and newer recruits were full of an attitude which would annoy the life out of you. Also, they say it isn’t a blame culture. It is.
Pros
Job security, great pay
Cons
Backstabbing people around every corner. Not a band of brothers.
Superb training, you will get a trade that is worthwhile and rewarding and stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. Plus you get to travel to places, that people do not normally see, enhancing your life experiences.
A lot has changed since I left the RAF in 2006, I do feel it gives great opportunities and opens you out to the world and other avenues when you leave.My comment on leaving - not such a great experience due to having to end my 9 years earlier as they could not guarantee to sign on to 22 years.Housing can be an issue after you leave as well as difficulty trying to line up a job in a chosen location.
Pros
See the world, comradeship, promotion
Cons
Not so good for family life
If you want a job then stay 'civvie'. If you want to make a difference and enjoy life i.e. a lifestyle rather than a job, then the military is for you.
Pros
Rewarding work / job satisfaction, free clothes, free medical care, heavily subsidised accommodation, free gym membership, free [or near free] adventurous activities for e.g. mountain biking, skiing [snowboarding] scuba diving, mountaineering, canoeing quite simply the list is endless.
Cons
work life balance at times can be fraught, extended periods away from home - remember its a lifestyle rather than a job.
What I learned teamwork adapting to different challenges every day no day is ever the same most enjoyable part of your day end of shift and knowing you have completed your tasks for the day lol
Pros
Job security
Cons
Strict with you
Quiet work section, not enough continuous learning for me. Want to learn new skills and do something different. Going away with work you learn a lot but it is hard leaving your friends and family for months at a time, but you have some amazing experiences.
Done things I never would have and gained qualifications that with out the RAF I never would have gotten. You'll travel all over the world and no 2 days are the same.
Whatever happens around you, whether business or personal, you are always supported either by your colleagues or superiors. Good travel prospects for the right trades.
Pros
Excellent teamwork environment
Cons
Guard duty
As the Royal Air Force is effectively a government company this means it is not profit driven or needs to be. The workplace can be fantastic however this will depend on the management, it has potential to be a very desirable job or one where you hate. I absolutely loved my first 6 years, a had fantastic management that took the "rough with the smooth" they gave out perks as well as sometimes having to give cons. However this has to be expected in the military. although my recent management are just pushing for more and more production at the cost of moral, when this doesn't need to be done (non profit organisation). Overall I rate this job high, and I think it's great for any young / single people to join whilst i do not recommend any one who has a family.
Pros
Depending on management; Early Friday finish, cheap accommodation, family like feel.
Cons
MOD terrible contracts on camps that fleece the soldiers, sailors and airmen for money eg. shop prices are absolutely shocking.
Very demanding Job, asked to do ever increasing tasks with reducing manpower and resources. Very diverse and challenging, never a dull day. Top management can be difficult.
Pros
Exciting opportunities for travel
Cons
Long hours, intense workload, often working weekends and evenings.
Really good culture, had some great times in the RAF, learned loads! Training provided is some of the best training you can get. Work has its challenges but your never bored!
Pros
Lunch. accommodation on camp
Cons
May have to move family about.
it is an ok job. I like it. Pay is good, Bosses are not good. Culture is bad. Work life balance is not the best, away from home a lot. Hard to leave the air force.
A typical day at work would include me briefing staff what jobs I would like completed through that day this can sometimes be more difficult depending on the experience I am briefing. I have learned many things through my time in the Royal air Force like how too use computer systems with very little or no training I have also learned how to store and issue dangerous goods and used these skills in some of the most stressful dangerous environments in the world.during my time in the royal air force i have managed up to 20 personnel at anyone time this at times has been difficult with different personalities and very different experience levels. The hardest part of my job would be storing explosives due to lots of regulations to consider. The most enjoyable part would have been training and mentoring new recruits and seeing them develop over the years and hopefully get them promoted. I have also enjoyed the diverse nature of logistics within the Royal Air Force I have dealt with audits, storage of fuels, receipting and dispatching many different kinds of goods and many more areas of logistics
Pros
job security, very good wages & you can see the world whilst working
Cons
separated from loved ones for long periods
My work experience placement at RAF Odiham was interesting, and gave me a taster of what day-to-day work in the Royal Air Force is like, I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and wish to join the Royal Air Force
Pros
Hands on experiance with professional instruction.
Cons
N/a
If I had my time again I would sign up tomorrow as the work was so diversified and there was plenty of opportunity to travel to different parts of the world and sample there culture
Pros
Great team building and help to achieve goals professionally and own
Cons
Being away from family at times
The multi jobs i have had within the RAF has given me great life skills i have seen the world and tested my self. I felt a highly valued and very effective member of a bigger team, teaching me a number of well-developed skill sets. I’m an now extremely organised and capable.
Great place to work, a great charity will a worthy charitable cause servicing the welfare needs of the RAF family both serving and veterans. I would recommend.
Challenging and unique place to work. It will push you to go beyond the limits you think you have as an individual, physically and mentally. An exciting and rewarding career with many opportunities.
Joining the RAF is life changing and gives you the opportunity to obtain qualifications, interesting roles and the ability to travel the world. Is confidence building and gives you the ability to progress. You can gain life skills, experience a diverse environment and by travelling to different places to learn a new language if you wish. The life is challenging, however you get to meet new people every time you are posted to a new location and keep in touch with the ones you have met or worked with. The military as a whole allows you to have a common goal and teaches you how to work as a team or as an individual to the best of your ability. With great pride I have served 22 years in the RAF as an RAF Medic and experienced many situations, however I will never regret signing on the dotted line as they say and would encourage others to do so. The world is your oyster, make a different by joining up.
Have the ability to enhance profile by forms of education, sports, military course and rank progression whilst at the same time travel the world. Gain new friends from different backgrounds and gain experiences some people may never experience in their life times.
  1. Employee reviews