Royal Air Force
Happiness score is 80 out of 100

Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Fantastic people to work alongside very driven and great social

Early days it was very good. Got to go away more in the later years but towards the end the working hours were way too much. Late night were really bad depending on who the texts controller was. Excellent equipment cutting edge aircraft, made you proud to work on them. The administration got worse in the later years though.

Pros

Travel twice a year

Cons

Long hours at the end from 2007 -2012

Poor career management not utilising skills built up over years of experience.

Its a different environment to work than being civillian and will provide you many different and sometimes rewarding experiences over your career. But at the end of the day you are just a number to be put in a position as seen fit by under qualified HR drones that cannot fathom how valuable experience on an aircraft type is, no matter how many years of service you give. I suspect this is the case for all other technical trades within the RAF and a big contributor to churn and low morale.

Pros

Benefits, job security

Cons

Low pay for technical trades, absolutely idiotic HR personnel and policies

Everybody should try the armed forces

I did 23 years in the RAF and they were the best years of my life, I will have memories and friends to last a life time. I travelled all over the world and had a great time doing it.

Pros

Camaraderie, travel, salary and pension

Cons

Can be difficult with a young family.

Excellent company

An excellent opportunity for a career that gives you the opportunity to work alongside an outstanding team, the comradeship is second to none and I enjoyed being part of the team.

Pros

Travel, comradeship

Best.

Best jobbi ever had. Couldn't recommend anything more. Good friends good training good everything. Being in the military is a special thing without a doubt .

Cons

Interesting work, achieved my goals

Enjoyed my time in the airforce Very different experience todayIf you paid the guys the same equivalent pay as a civilian in the same role you wouldn't have any problems with job retention

Pros

Never a dull moment, worked on some interesting aircraft

Cons

Low pay, promotion through the ranks slower than the army and navy

confident and honest staff

Great place to work with like minded people and good management structureFriendly and well structured and well ledGood working hours and able to work responsibly from home

Pros

Good office, pay, conditions, people

Cons

More variety in posts

Adventure and lasting memories

Loved most of my time in the RAF. Technician's should receive higher pay but benefits such as free medical and dental care are second to none. Good opportunity for development and higher education if you want it. You will make friends for life and have some of the best laughs ever. You will travel to places all over the world, some amazing, some not so much as is the nature of being in the armed forces, but all adds to the experience that you would not of otherwise had. So be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. Would highly recommend and you get to serve Queen and Country. There is no greater honour.

Pros

Lots. Being part of something special with a proud history and the honour of serving your country. .

Cons

Extended time away from home, but depending on the person you may like this. War, but you know what you signed up for.

Treated like scum with extremely poor chance of promotion.

The armed forces are an example of the class system in the UK. A culture of snobbery with incompetence. You can easily notice the difference between RAF officers and USAF ones.Best not to join. Poor pay and poor chance of promotion. Dead man's shoes!

Pros

N/a

Cons

Very little chance overseas posting.

Overworked and undervalued

The military once was a a career for life. Its now a place for stabbing people in the back to gain and advantage. Unless you are from a minority group you will not go far. They take the best of your years and through you to the curb when they're done.

Pros

Yet to be found

Cons

Extreme pressure with no let up, overworked and underpaid, no thanks given for your efforts, only officers are rewarded and recognised, undervalued

Unorganised, no care for personnel welfare.

Very unorganised, have very little concern for personnel welfare. Expect you to drop any life commitments at the last minute for medial tasks that don’t require being done.

Pros

Free gym

Cons

Long hours, last minute jobs, no family life.

A career for life.

A career that makes you stand up on your own two feet. You make friends for life, first class colleges, and work mates. One of the most structured companies to work for.

Pros

Free uniforms.

Cons

Can work away from home from time to time.

Loved working there!

The only reason I left was because they were not renewing anyones contracts at the time in the M.O.D.! Workplace culture was like a family- at least where I was. As far as a typical day at work- there wasn't one really!

Pros

As food & acommodation charges were deducted at source your take-home pay was just that.

Cons

You could die in service. Fitness tests were a drag too.

Excellent

I went to the RAF based at Wittering for work experience and I really enjoyed all the different activities I had to do. I was with the Mechanical transport and spent some time with the Ops

Excellent work place to learn, educate and test yourself

The RAF has given me the opportunity to not only travel the world and be paid to do so, it has also invested in me as a person by ensuring I’m suitably qualified for my job role. Civilian life you can focus on one aspect of a field the RAF will give you the opportunity and training to be qualified in all aspects of that given field. You can also be trained to instruct in these fields once you have reached a certain level.

Pros

World travel, benefits, pay, qualifications, education

Cons

Some trades are slow to advance in, promotion system is at times laughable and it also based on your ability to do your primary role.

Probably a lot easier now

Times were changing as I went through my career. Seemed like a lot of the younger and newer recruits were full of an attitude which would annoy the life out of you. Also, they say it isn’t a blame culture. It is.

Pros

Job security, great pay

Cons

Backstabbing people around every corner. Not a band of brothers.

Go for it

Superb training, you will get a trade that is worthwhile and rewarding and stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. Plus you get to travel to places, that people do not normally see, enhancing your life experiences.

RAF a great career

A lot has changed since I left the RAF in 2006, I do feel it gives great opportunities and opens you out to the world and other avenues when you leave.My comment on leaving - not such a great experience due to having to end my 9 years earlier as they could not guarantee to sign on to 22 years.Housing can be an issue after you leave as well as difficulty trying to line up a job in a chosen location.

Pros

See the world, comradeship, promotion

Cons

Not so good for family life

Lifestyle not a job.

If you want a job then stay 'civvie'. If you want to make a difference and enjoy life i.e. a lifestyle rather than a job, then the military is for you.

Pros

Rewarding work / job satisfaction, free clothes, free medical care, heavily subsidised accommodation, free gym membership, free [or near free] adventurous activities for e.g. mountain biking, skiing [snowboarding] scuba diving, mountaineering, canoeing quite simply the list is endless.

Cons

work life balance at times can be fraught, extended periods away from home - remember its a lifestyle rather than a job.

What I learned teamwork adapting to different challenges every day no day is ever the same most enjoyable part of your day end of shift and knowing you have completed your tasks for the day lol

Pros

Job security

Cons

Strict with you

Quiet work section

Quiet work section, not enough continuous learning for me. Want to learn new skills and do something different. Going away with work you learn a lot but it is hard leaving your friends and family for months at a time, but you have some amazing experiences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

4.3Job security/advancement

Compare Royal Air Force with

• Royal Air Force
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?