Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Insights into Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Trust in colleagues

Lots of movement

Moved the office 3 times very stressful However the staff I worked with were all lovely in a stress full environment my role was very interesting although repetitive

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Parking to be paid for traffic to the hospital

Great environment

Great environment to work with and to provide excellent service to customers and staff. Loved the department I work in and loved working with a team and other professionals. Great outdoor space to get away from the busy environment inside. Friendly staff and patients and enjoyed every minute I was there.

Pros

Feeling like I achieved something

Cons

Not good on public transport availability

Stressful environment- Research Department

The Research Department at RCHT in Truro could be the most rewarding place to work, however it is grossly understaffed and the most stressful place I have worked. The three top senior management team have lead a bullying culture. A very new lead has started and time will tell if she has the ability to change things. The department operates against many of the values of RCHT and speaking up is not an option. I sorely hope things do change for the sake of all the staff.

Pros

Working in leading valuable clinical research

Cons

Hugely stressful environment with a management team with no business acumen

Not like the rest of England

I have been in the area for a couple of years, wanted to join the bank in order to get to grips with my surroundings, poor support from hr, took a job on trauma unit, no help or support, no time for training, staff uncaring, left after 4 weeks ,limited support from ward staff, so behind the time it’s sad.. now joined the bank, rude staff, no training support, but no other options unless you can travel to Plymouth,.

Pros

Cons

Poor HR, no support, no leeway on hours, rude staff

Great team, busy work place and always learning

RCHT is a busy hospital with several outlying hospital/units so I can be working in a different unit everyday. Our ultrasound lists can be mixed or one type of examination depending on where you are working. The changes of unit and examination makes it a very interesting Trust to work for. We are a good close knit team exchanging ideas and experience both with qualified Sonographer and trainees. The best thing about by job as a sonographer is the interaction with the patients/customers the worst is giving bad news. Our immediate team lead is very approachable and the higher management supportive.

Pros

Beautiful area of the UK to live and work in.

Fast-paced

A varied and fast-paced employer. Plenty of opportunities for other work experience. Trust communication is improved from recent times. A great Chief Exec.

great for career progression

Good benefits such as pension, training and annual leave, and supported to progress my career. flexible working options are considered to support childcare.

Long time employee

Have worked for RCHT for many years. Currently on furlough and they have been exceptionally supportive. I also admired the way in which the management have handled this crisis

Pros

Close to where I live

Cons

Limited parking

A rewarding and fun workplace!

A fast paced, challenging job but it is highly rewarding and there is a thoroughly enjoyable atmosphere. There have been lots of times I have been pushed out of my comfort zone but I have been very supported and this has enabled me to grow. I have been given fantastic training opportunities and there is a variety of training available to staff at all times. The training isn't always advertised to you so you have to be proactive and find it but there is always plenty available.This is a great place to work for personal development. I work with a fantastic team and work collaboratively with many others who are also very friendly and helpful. There are lots of great onsite facilities. There is a shop and lots of nice places to eat. There is onsite parking available as well as bus stops. They really look after your wellbeing and there are lots of free resources to look after you. The pay is fair and the annual leave and pension is fantastic.

Supportive environment

I've found RCHT to be full of people who genuinely care about patient care. Staff are really passionate about what they do. As a place to work, it's really flexible, and your personal development is taken seriously too. There's a really supportive culture within our teams - we work hard, but we have fun too. I'm really happy here and glad I made the move to Cornwall.

challenging

challenging environment, good immediate management but senior management and executive team are too removed from the shop floor to understand the experience that staff face

Pros

good holiday allowance

Cons

demanding, low pay for entry level roles, little career progression

Very stressful

Too many working hours per shift on your feet. Always short of staff especially when have level 3 and 4 at the wards. Allocations on bays not fair. Good colleagues, very helpful and supportive. Continues learning.

Not a nice place

I wouldn’t recommend working for NHS RCHT. I was NEVER paid properly, I always had shifts I had worked missing out of my pay. One time it took me 2 and a half months of being passed around to different people and departments to get paid the shifts I was owed! I had enough because I kept falling on my bills and rent etc. I ended up leaving, with no apology for the they treated me or thanks for all the hard work I put in with coving shifts on my days off and at such short notice, all the extra training I done off my own back, which I did not ever get paid for and my salary NEVER went up. The pay for the NHS isn’t very good at all. Would never go back working there, even though I took me years to get to where I was.

intense, knowledge building, supportive environment

intense, knowledge building, supportive environment, with great management in my location with help to strive when ever and where ever. great on going training and extra shifts if needed are available. very rewarding job which provides you with a sense of achievement.

Fast paced hard working environment not for the light hearted.

Fast paced sometimes stressful but worthwhile. I learned to be tolerant of others and listen to everyone's opinion. Hardest part was trying to get appointments for patients. The most enjoyable was satisfaction when you got the job done.

Student Intern

The NHS is a great place to learn how a universal healthcare system is managed. It was an opportunity i was happy to take advantage of and would recommend to any one else.

Brilliant place to work when it works rightv

Great chance to give back the care and compassion. That I received as a patient. Different goals everyday Team work and understanding of the care we give to every individual. No two patients are the same.

productive

A rewarding job in a challenging but enjoyable atmosphere, learn new skills everyday, meet new people and face challenges you dont in other jobs. Its a job where the stress does not come home with you.

Hard working

The employees will do everything in their power to help and exhaust every available option no matter what the circumstance in order to give their best and help someone.

Poor management

Really rewarding job but healthcares are not appreciated enough. They are doing half the jobs the nurses should be with no thanks at all. Management are poor and not supportive during times of bereavement. In my opinion it’s probably just this hospital not the NHS in general as I have heard many positives about other Trust’s and even another hospital within the same trust, but this one has too many staff who need a change, who are no longer in the job because they care.

Pros

Good pay and pension

Cons

Long hours, poor support, lack of morale.

productive and fun work experience

it was a very fun place to go for my year 10 work experience week I learned how to do many techniques in many different areas of the care system so if anyone needed any support in first aid or anything like that I feel like I would be able to support them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement

Compare Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust with

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust Reviews by Location

• Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?