Royal Holloway University of London

Royal Holloway University of London Employee Reviews

For a long time I loved my job at RHUL and I had great relationships with colleagues across the University. I worked hard, loved my job and was respected both personally and professionally. However, financial considerations started to take precedence and this caused a number of senior colleagues to leave, changing the environment for the worse.
Advertised 24k a year, but it's actually 17k a year because they you work 4on 4off they take the 31 hours you work "pro rata" it and decide it over 12 months.They deduct half an hour for a beak you don't get.Your job is not as advertised either. What it actually is to be ordered around by 4 lazy and incompetent security officers. You will be sent to ALL incidents, assaults, drugs, noise complaints, lock outs, antisocial behaviour, trespassing etc. Sometimes alone because your partner is off sick or has resigned (like they do after a month or two)Security will not back you up, instead in the morning handover the report will state falsely that security attended all these incidents instead of campus watch.After you were inducted, you will never see your line manager again, ever. (He works days, you work nights)You might receive uniform once, if you did it will be the last time. After that prepare to buy your own.The university doesn't care either, no matter how serious the incident, just as long as it does not make the news.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Pros - Lovely team of internationally minded colleagues. - Nice Campus environment. - Some members of Senior Management who acknowledge success and hard work. Cons - No autonomy: current notions of team management presume that people are pawns rather than players. Team management revolves around overly pernicious supervision (such as four attendance monitoring spreadsheets), ‘if-then’ rewards for those who do not question rationale or decisions, and other forms of control such as not providing a hospitable environment for feedback, contribution or alternative thinking. - Culture of subliminal bullying: Name dropping of senior figures whilst setting deadlines and tasks, setting of unreasonable deadlines, excessive monitoring, denial of accomplishments, being blamed for mistakes in absentia, stealing credit, 'silent treatment' etc. - Lack of Trust: the language of control and intimidation implies lack of trust without ever giving justification. Such scrutiny does not apply to more senior members, who may travel freely to low ROI markets such as Brazil without evidence of having booked more than one/two days of activity (according to invoices) and no data-based justification, trip report or shared itinerary (all of which are required of those ‘lower down’ the pecking order). - Lack of foresight and inclusion: Key decisions being made without consulting team members who are then expected to bring said decisions to life (pawns rather than players). There is then little to no explanation of the business case for such decisions and its too late for input. The - more...
Staff are not well regarded here.I would not recommend anyone to take an admin role at this place. Apart from a beautiful campus there are no benefits
Pros
Pretty campus
Cons
No reward or recognition, Some people do little and get away with it whereas others are overworked and micro managed.
Working within the sub-contracted team at Royal Holloway was a poor working experience that included low pay with unfriendly managemet which did not inspire a healthy work culture.
Workplace where everyone is helpful, polite and respectful of each other. Various opportunities are given to all ambassadors, creating a wide skill set.
I enjoyed working with young adults in a university setting. It was often challenging but very satisfying helping the young people working their way through a three year undergraduate degree programme. Many of them were experiencing their first time away from home and it was a difficult and stressful time for them.
It was a pleasure to work at RHUL. Good Team members and Good Management. Learned the new technologies like NetIQ after working here. Worked on the students and Staff systems and also Moodle and
Employed on a fixed term contract due to re-structure which led to low staff morale. Lack of consistency with regards to training so limited opportunities for advancement. My manager was very disorganized which led to lots of last minute changes to workload due the change in priorities. Expectation to work additional hours to support other admin teams but difficult to book time off.
This was a part time job, so was a good income while I was at university. I have since outgrown my skills gained there, but the job and company itself were enjoyable.
Great academic departments, teaching and educational research. Generally poor management at the IT Department. Enthusiastic colleagues in most of the IT teams, but not supported by the management.
A very busy office where no two days are the same. I have learned to juggle and prioritise well working at the College. Not a great workplace culture at the College given poor reporting and ineffective systems. The people in my department are friendly and appreciative but the College does not recognise or reward huge effort from Admin staff.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
No benefits, recognition or promotion prospects for Admin staff
The Hub was a great place to work around my degree. It offers a flexible contract so I could work around my degree, there were plenty of shifts and there was generous pay for staff. A typical shift involves setting up the dining hall, serving customers and cleaning. The Hub is a focal point for many staff, students and guests so there is pressure to offer a good service. You learn a lot about food hygiene. Management are approachable and easy to work with. The best part of the job is the friendly team I worked with.
Pros
Management, Good Team, Good Pay
Cons
Similar tasks, Short shifts
I really enjoyed studying at the University, I also enjoyed being a Welcome Week Volunteer. It was quite easy for students to get a job at the University.
Many resources have been directed towards research, making it a productive workplace.
Its been a joy to work here for these years but its time to move on the building is beautiful and the environment is lovely. plenty of places to eat
A beautiful campus and an excellent place to work. Great work/life balance. Good holiday entitlement and benefits. Cross fertilization of ideas and a fantastic learning environment.
excellent work culture supportive and approachable management excellent pay for the work we were doing flexible hours opportunity to take on more hours
Very stable working environment. The university offers a nice working environment with friendly people. The careers services are well informed and very helpful.
not a good working environment. People were unkind, unhelpful and unwilling to compromise. little room for improvement. i would avoid working here if you can.
Pros
nothing
Cons
A friendly and relaxed environment, with good work-life balance and state of the art research being carried out, especially in the field of neurosciences.