Royal Holloway University of London

Working at Royal Holloway University of London: Latest Royal Holloway University of London Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews

Fab place to work,supportive team,challenging work - Senior Management make decisions without asking those who will have to deliver

Royal Holloway has a beautiful campus - working from home atm can make some feel disengaged from the work/ brand but once back on campus this may change.RHUL used to have a very strong sense of community and value - it is still there but I think al lot of new staff will not have had the opportunity to experience this yet.The Careers team are really supportive of each other and I feel very much part of a team where people will go out of their way to help each other. The current Director of Careers is open, transparent and supportive. She makes time to speak with the team and encourages lively debate and solutions. She also prioritises wellbeing so I feel if needed I could approach her with any issues that I may have that would impact my work.At a time when the Careers service is being asked to do more and has a huge focus in the strategic plan it is incredulous that resource is being taken away, it really does feel that those higher up have no clue on what resource is needed to deliver what they want and promise to students.This isn't a reflection of the job role - it is varied, challenging and fun. The team are brilliant and to be honest for now the pay is good although with resource being cut my salary may well start to feel inadequate to the amount of work being asked.The HR team are typically not great but the trainings and development on offer are excellent and there are always opportunities to get involved with events and projects around the College.As a whole the student population seem switched on, polite and a general joy to work with.

Pros

Beautiful campus, friendly team, varied work, community feel when working in person

Cons

Starting to feel impact of cuts, Senior decision makers are out of touch

Good experience

Worked there as a RH100 panellist and very much enjoyed the work. There sometimes was a lot of background reading to do, but you get paid for it, and the discussions were really good. It felt like we really had an impact on college decisions.

Insights into Royal Holloway University of London

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction

Campus watch

Advertised 24k a year, but it's actually 17k a year because they you work 4on 4off they take the 31 hours you work "pro rata" it and decide it over 12 months.They deduct half an hour for a beak you don't get.Your job is not as advertised either. What it actually is to be ordered around by 4 lazy and incompetent security officers. You will be sent to ALL incidents, assaults, drugs, noise complaints, lock outs, antisocial behaviour, trespassing etc. Sometimes alone because your partner is off sick or has resigned (like they do after a month or two)Security will not back you up, instead in the morning handover the report will state falsely that security attended all these incidents instead of campus watch.After you were inducted, you will never see your line manager again, ever. (He works days, you work nights)You might receive uniform once, if you did it will be the last time. After that prepare to buy your own.The university doesn't care either, no matter how serious the incident, just as long as it does not make the news.

Pros

Not much

Cons

International Student Recruitment - Egocentric culture of passive aggression, intimidation and one-upmanship.

Pros - Lovely team of internationally minded colleagues. - Nice Campus environment. - Some members of Senior Management who acknowledge success and hard work. Cons - No autonomy: current notions of team management presume that people are pawns rather than players. Team management revolves around overly pernicious supervision (such as four attendance monitoring spreadsheets), ‘if-then’ rewards for those who do not question rationale or decisions, and other forms of control such as not providing a hospitable environment for feedback, contribution or alternative thinking. - Culture of subliminal bullying: Name dropping of senior figures whilst setting deadlines and tasks, setting of unreasonable deadlines, excessive monitoring, denial of accomplishments, being blamed for mistakes in absentia, stealing credit, 'silent treatment' etc. - Lack of Trust: the language of control and intimidation implies lack of trust without ever giving justification. Such scrutiny does not apply to more senior members, who may travel freely to low ROI markets such as Brazil without evidence of having booked more than one/two days of activity (according to invoices) and no data-based justification, trip report or shared itinerary (all of which are required of those ‘lower down’ the pecking order). - Lack of foresight and inclusion: Key decisions being made without consulting team members who are then expected to bring said decisions to life (pawns rather than players). There is then little to no explanation of the business case for such decisions and its too late for input. The -

For a long time I loved my job

For a long time I loved my job at RHUL and I had great relationships with colleagues across the University. I worked hard, loved my job and was respected both personally and professionally. However, financial considerations started to take precedence and this caused a number of senior colleagues to leave, changing the environment for the worse.

Dreadful treatment of staff with no reward for hard work

Staff are not well regarded here.I would not recommend anyone to take an admin role at this place. Apart from a beautiful campus there are no benefits

Pros

Pretty campus

Cons

No reward or recognition, Some people do little and get away with it whereas others are overworked and micro managed.

Imperfect workload-pay balance

Working within the sub-contracted team at Royal Holloway was a poor working experience that included low pay with unfriendly managemet which did not inspire a healthy work culture.

Productive and Opportunistic Workplace

Workplace where everyone is helpful, polite and respectful of each other. Various opportunities are given to all ambassadors, creating a wide skill set.

Challenging but very enjoyavble

I enjoyed working with young adults in a university setting. It was often challenging but very satisfying helping the young people working their way through a three year undergraduate degree programme. Many of them were experiencing their first time away from home and it was a difficult and stressful time for them.

Excellent place to work

It was a pleasure to work at RHUL. Good Team members and Good Management. Learned the new technologies like NetIQ after working here. Worked on the students and Staff systems and also Moodle and

Pay not competetive and low staff morale

Employed on a fixed term contract due to re-structure which led to low staff morale. Lack of consistency with regards to training so limited opportunities for advancement. My manager was very disorganized which led to lots of last minute changes to workload due the change in priorities. Expectation to work additional hours to support other admin teams but difficult to book time off.

Good company

This was a part time job, so was a good income while I was at university. I have since outgrown my skills gained there, but the job and company itself were enjoyable.

Prefer not to say

Great academic departments, teaching and educational research. Generally poor management at the IT Department. Enthusiastic colleagues in most of the IT teams, but not supported by the management.

Very few prospects for Admin staff

A very busy office where no two days are the same. I have learned to juggle and prioritise well working at the College. Not a great workplace culture at the College given poor reporting and ineffective systems. The people in my department are friendly and appreciative but the College does not recognise or reward huge effort from Admin staff.

Pros

Nice campus

Cons

No benefits, recognition or promotion prospects for Admin staff

A fantastic job to do around my studies

The Hub was a great place to work around my degree. It offers a flexible contract so I could work around my degree, there were plenty of shifts and there was generous pay for staff. A typical shift involves setting up the dining hall, serving customers and cleaning. The Hub is a focal point for many staff, students and guests so there is pressure to offer a good service. You learn a lot about food hygiene. Management are approachable and easy to work with. The best part of the job is the friendly team I worked with.

Pros

Management, Good Team, Good Pay

Cons

Similar tasks, Short shifts

Fun place to work

I really enjoyed studying at the University, I also enjoyed being a Welcome Week Volunteer. It was quite easy for students to get a job at the University.

effective workplace

Many resources have been directed towards research, making it a productive workplace.

fun work place

Its been a joy to work here for these years but its time to move on the building is beautiful and the environment is lovely. plenty of places to eat

A beautiful campus and an excellent place to work.

A beautiful campus and an excellent place to work. Great work/life balance. Good holiday entitlement and benefits. Cross fertilization of ideas and a fantastic learning environment.

great team

excellent work culture supportive and approachable management excellent pay for the work we were doing flexible hours opportunity to take on more hours

Good

Very stable working environment. The university offers a nice working environment with friendly people. The careers services are well informed and very helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Holloway University of London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement