Royal London Group

Royal London Group Employee Reviews

It's fine

As a place to work, it's fine. The people are friendly, the hours and benefits are pretty good for call centre work. There's a big emphasis on data protection, but being a pensions and life assurance company, a lot of their clients are elderly and struggle with data protection questions. A lot of callers are calling on behalf of other people and get worked up when you can't speak to them about policies. You also speak to a lot of recently bereaved people so, despite Royal London's best efforts, it can be stressful and a bit depressing. Like many corporate organisations, they spend a lot of time talking about how great things are going and all the support available to you, but it seems as chaotic as most work places I've been in. For example, there's no staff directory on the intranet, so everyone has documents with internal phone numbers on that may/may not be right. You may also be expected to answer questions to a script that seems like it's been written by a robot that has never had a conversation before. If you don't follow it you fail QA, if you do follow it, a lot of customers don't understand you and you can't rephrase the answer.

Pros

Decent pay, good holiday allowance.

Cons

Confused customers, scripted conversations that don't work in practice

Never again

This company is a great example of senior management coming in, wiping the decks and bringing in young, attractive team members. If you want to feel undervalued and not appreciated proceed. They are a prime example of “how not to” treat employees. If your face does not fit they will tamper with the selection process paperwork to make their favourites prosper.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, contempt for employees, bullying, fake, uncaring

Racist and toxic work place

I was a nurse at this hospital, my experience here was horrible. I worked here for sometime and i must confess that the institutional racism and favoritism is second to none. Avoid this place unless you want to be bullied or have racial slurs hurled at you.I couldn’t cope with working with passively toxic staff at ACCU at the Royal London Hospital and had to leave.Make sure you are prepared for the worst before you take up a job offer here!!!

Pros

The pay

Cons

Racism, Bullying, No promotion. Understaffed

Poor Company Culture

Public sector feel, salary low compared to market, lots of lifers there so cliques, resistance to change. Good culture on paper, very poor in reality.

A great place to work

Being a mutual, Royal London is different. It has no shareholders, the customers and employees are part of the mutual, so spending money is like spending your own money. Its a great place to work if you like financial services without the shareholder pressures.

Pros

Collaborative culture

Cons

Risk averse and compliance heavy

Made redundant when Reading office closed

I joined as a new telephone based account manager and found that the panel I had inherited was a pretty poor one and wouldn't produce the levels of business required. Luckily, the new Branch Manager was very experienced and understood that my panel and those of other account managers needed to be amended and changes were made that meant we had better business potential with IFA's and adviser firms from a broader range of post codes in each panel.

i crashed my motorcycle, broke my arm. they sacked me.

i crashed my motorcycle, broke my arm. they sacked me and told me i was not welcome back. i find this to be unacceptable as we all have accidents. would not advise anyone to work at royal london wilmslow.

Pros

bus

Cons

slow, long hours, awfull lighting and tiny office.

Productive and Fun Workplace

Work culture is good . Focused learning and work is the success mantra for RLG. Team members are more supportive and helpful. Professional way of conducting all activities

What You Make Of It

I was only there on a temporary basis but it seemed like a nice place to work. Plenty to do and more if you want it. Decent salary, nice location, no stress to take home.

Mis sold role

Made clear not interested in telephone based role. Told it would be 'back office' admin. Was 95% telephone based with little product training Unpleasant atmosphere and culture

Pros

on site canteen

Jobs at Royal London Group

See more jobs

Would rather not say

I would rather not walk about my time at Royal London as I am not a permanent employee and my time has been tainted by COVID99 so is hard to fully articulate.

Good to work for

A great company to work for great work life management Very good culture and friendly staff and management. Plenty of opportunities for advancement and career opportunities

Awful company

Management have no skills, they only promote friends and family. Bullying is rife and support for the job is non existent. High staff turnover due to all of the above

Negative Place to Work

A terrible company with the most poisonous work culture, prioritising appearances over substance. If you take a job with Royal London be prepared to play the game and suck up to your manager.

Pros

Brand recognition

Cons

Culture and working environment

Biased management prevents progression

The customer facing staff have a real challenge with a constant breathing down the neck and intense questioning about what you're doing with any time. If you are not in the manager's immediate circle progression is pretty much impossible. There is no room for any negotiation or opinions. Do as your told or you're forced to leave.

Pros

Good benefits e.g. pension, healthcare, maternity

Cons

Really poor management

Good Place to work

Excellent company with amazing work culture. Good place to work with friendly staff. Can be flexible and sympathetic to a good work life balance. Good Leaning experience.

Pros

Excellent Place to work

Busy work place but a great environment to work

Great environment to work in, with work colleagues that have a team mentality. Line managers are always listening to ways of improvements and put you forward for any relevant internal courses. The management are visible and always happy to chat. Investigation work was always tricky as the informations wasn’t readily available from the systems in place and emails would play an integral part in your back up for journals. Recognition in your monthly reviews for the work you have done.

Avoid

I would avoid as I was there for 1.5 years with no promotion, people there less than 6 months promoting sooner. Also there is sexism within the pay of genders. Someone same age, less experience because he was a man he started in £500 more. A college girl came in and she started on more money (also royal London don’t like you discussing pay amongst your team) you are also promiEs od CEO told you if you wanted to be paid more to find a new job as apparently their pension covers the downfall in pay. Managers are bullies and also no progression. No

Depressing place with people who don't know much about anything

I wrote some brilliant software for these people which solved all of their IT problems AND proved it would work, but they were too dumb to understand it as they weren't clever enough.

Good place to work with friendly staff. Can be flexible and sympathetic to a good work life balance. However not much scope for career progression within role.

Fun workplace

No day is the same, constantly working across teams and departments! The pay isn't always the best though. I enjoyed my time here thoroughly and would recommend the company to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal London Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement