Royal Mail

Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 4,371 reviews matching the search
Poor management. Some are hired to become managers and have no idea of what they are doing themselves. As long as their targets are met, delivery officers treated like no mans land until they are totally knackered. Really good company until it was privatised. Under public ownership way better
Pros
Out during nice weathers
Cons
Long hours, poor management
I have to disagree with a comment here about Durham depo I’m a ex cleaner only left to work on the post it self, the manager was very supportive with any problems I had, the postie and management are all lovely I’ve had no problems what so ever
Agency jobWorking alongside Royal Mail delivery staff.Flexible weekend hoursWith extra daily work offered should you require any extra work.The vehicles are usually not well looked after.
Pros
Weekend work
Cons
Short hours
Worked as a temp night shift Christmas parcel sorter at the Cardiff warehouse. Covid restrictions were set in place and workers were made to feel safe. The job is easy enough to do but it will take a strain on your legs for the first week if you're not used to standing 8-10 hours. The managers were easy going but not actual trained managers, usually posties asked to oversee which meant they'd often act or talk inappropriately to temps. Upper management were not very organised this year which left the warehouse managers in the dark. With working overtime make sure to note down your hours as many found pay inaccurate. Bonus was if you agreed to work overtime and came in early but sent home early they'd still pay you for the overtime. The other temps were friendly enough and felt like a diverse workplace.
Pros
Easy to learn the job, Paid overtime even if sent home early
Cons
Can be monotonous, Warehouse was cold, Poor pay for nights
I didn’t mind the job but I told them I was studying part time on Tuesdays during the day yet they still gave me a night shift on Mondays. I didn’t know who I was supposed to speak to about it because there are so many line managers for different departments it’s difficult to know. You’re expected to know everything and you get moaned at for not working fast enough despite the manager waiting until an hour and a half before your meant to finish your shift. I must be mad because although the job is mindnumblingly boring and tedious I kind of wish I was still there because I’m having difficultly trying to find another job.
Pros
Good pay and easy job
Cons
I unfortunately was forced to finish as a postman due to an injured knee ligaments caused by slipping on mossy flags. I was offered many other positions within the company but they involved quite a lot of daily travel to Manchester or Preston. I turned down the opportunities offered as i had also been offered a more senior role at our family business , where I already worked part time.
Pros
Job and finish
Cons
Plenty of walking and lifting
I worked as a postman for more than 4 years. I enjoyed every single day there. Nice people, good pay, canteen, good pension, salary sacrifice, possibilities of overtime
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Weather
Good place to work, arrive on time or ten minutes before you start. You get your parcels to scan in and put them in order in your van. Thats it really, deliver your parcels via Sat Nav, return to depot when you are finished, hand in van keys, go home, simple.
Pros
TV in canteen, vending machines.
Cons
No cons
Lovely place to work. My direct Managers were the best I've ever worked with. Kind, supportive and helpful. The next level managers not so much. They singled people out and stopped them advancing if they didn't like them. On the plus side it was rare you saw them so overall my experience was a very good one.
Pros
Good money, good with problems, direct management approachable snd supportive.
Cons
Next level msnagers not suppotive unless you were good friends.
On agency started as Xmas casual still working at Easter. Busy, fast paced - no 2 days are the same , you need to be fast thinking, problem solving & sometimes be able to find a needle in a haystack but it’s all good fun & every day is a challenge & made worth while when you deliver a parcel to a customer who’s been waiting all day for a birthday present to arrive & they are really grateful to you !!!
Pros
Good pay & flexibility
Cons
Hard work in all weathers
Managers could work together more through communication and overall management style, if you struggle with something they can either help you or make it much worse
Pros
Some routes have nice views and you will be done early
Cons
Some routes are too long, confusing and have to work late
took this job last year and to start with it was a brilliant job then... i fell fowl of the manger took time off for a deeply personal reason and was told that it was effecting my probation. then forced to do van driving with no training despite telling them i had no van endorsement on my licence. overtime is forced on you if you ask to work to your contracted time or "cut off" its a 20 minute argument as to why witch ends up with you bullied into working past your time and failing you home commitments. as a reserve i was moved from duty to duty while others were left on long term cover very good wage but it seams like that allows the bosses to treat you like scum . a good tip is dont let them see you can do a good job on a round as a reserve or they will take the water as a reserve i was put on rounds that hadnt been out the day before regularly in contex i had 6 months service and double post 11 times a member of the old staff told me he had been there 20+ yers and had double 2 times . when i raised the double post i was told "supposes thats ANOTHER failed dilivery for you!" asked to finish on time and its was my falt that people wouldnt get mothers day gifts. this job really destroyed my faith in people to the point i now dont talk to anyone i worked with or evan my own post man !!! avoid at all costs
Pros
good wage
Cons
see above
Seasonal Cover - working mainly late afternoons and in November/December it can be difficult to see house numbers.Can also be posted in several different areas, so you never really get familiar with the round. Great support from my Manager - He clearly had a tough schedule to work to but was very patient with new starters and was understanding when difficulties arose.
Pros
Decent pay for the role
Cons
limited contract
Very proud to have been a postman loved every day in the job very good company to work for. Loved the day to day achievements great company to work for
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Healthy
Good hourly pay, but only part time contracts. Feels like a full time roll in the end so the pay doesn't seem enough. Expected to go above your hours too everyday. Poorly managed and managers only look after themselves and unfortunately full of ego, so be prepared for the impossible task of booking time off and having your shifts given in good time. Also any overtime you do ensure you keep a log as this is never paid and end up chasing it up for weeks. Very difficult to have any work life balance even though you have part time hours. Very hard to find anyone happy or satisfied with their job with a very negative atmosphere. Employees heavily rely on unions due to the managers working outside the rules and contracts.
Pros
Working outside on your own
Cons
Poorly managed, disorganised
I would thoroughly recommend working for Royal Mail lots of opportunities within there group offering a wide variety of services and career choices. All in all a great job experience personally I loved my position within Royal Mail operations.
Pros
Shares
Cons
You have to be physically fit. I wasn't and each 4 hour shift left my body aching. There was 7 pay levels each day so it depends what time you start.
Nobody knows who's in charge. Absolute free-for-all in terms of who gets what work, so newbies usually get the areas that the regulars don't want! Management haven't got a clue! For the most point, I found myself telling them how to do their own jobs.. but I wasn't been paid to do that! As soon as any mistakes arise, you'll get thrown under the bus! Poorly run company!
Pros
Working alone
Cons
Long hours, poor man management, management not experienced
Bossed around had to load artic lorries all by myself constantly pushing trolleys no health and safety was took into account and management was useless
Pros
Cons
Ridiculous hours never got paid full amount and no respect from managers or co workers
I really enjoyed my time there during a Christmas period helping out the senior staff to deliver as many parcels and letters as possible. It is a friendly environment and you are kept busy there for the duration of your shift and so the time goes by quite quickly and I would recommend working for them.
Been left over a decade now so no idea what goes on now. If you're not in the union you get treated badly, if you are in the union and they strike, you don't get paid but your union leaders do. No win situation. My advice, look for something better, you owe yourself that much.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Union led attitude
  1. Employee reviews