Royal Mail
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Royal Mail Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Birmingham144 reviews

Found 144 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,101 reviews

Good place to work and good pay. You need to be able to organise your work load and be happy to change what you are doing quite often. Management are mostly good.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Repetitive

Great place to work with great salary

Everyone is very friendly, the work was straightforward and the salary was great. I would recommend Royal Mail to anyone who wants to work long hours and be paid well for those hours

Insights into Royal Mail

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Don`t become a postie

From the outside the job seems easy and well paid, wait until you get in, management is not qualified, overtime is paid less than the hourly rate, every day is stressful and they keep adding more work in your contracted hours.No career advances at all, no life/work balance if you need the overtime, not worth it.I now regret applying for this job and I`m looking for a way out after 6 years of it.

Pros

paid breaks

Cons

stressful

Postman Midlands

Good place to work allot of overtime if you want it , days off can be any day out of 7 so hard to plan life around your rota. start early and finish early is a good part of this job

Fast paced high volume work

Very early starts get up 4am. 13 mile walking a day, management range from hard working to incompetent but work itself is hard but do-able. The work is repetitive but high volume so the time passes very quickly. Can walk long distances and always be on the move some days. To being static sorting other days.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Very early starts frustrating management

Rude managers

I was a Christmas temp for a few weeks thankfully.The workload was easy and repetitive as my main duty was replacing the yorks that were full with empty yorks as well as moving cages around the place.Managers are very rude and shout your name as if you are an animal. They constantly watch you and talk down to you.Lots of standing and walking in this job and your feet hurt after a while but you get used to it.Its okay for a temporary job but there's no progression as they hire people for the busy Christmas period.

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Rude managers, lots of walking and standing, micromanaged

Not a good place or company to work for

When I first started working for Royal Mail 15 years a go it was the best job going and without any stress at all. now it’s become so stressful and is now run by a bunch of idiots who have never done the job themselves they push people to break limits now and even send you out later which .the general public DON NOT WANT it’s time to go back to how Mail was delivered years a go an put in a separate format to deliver parcels not making you deliver letters then having to return to the same address with over sized parcels because they are to big for your post. Bag

Cons

Not enough hours to do do the job and no more early starts have ruined this .It will end in disaster

What can I say

Errr well…. The job is good. Well paid etc. People aren’t treate equally. Certain people can do what they like…. And get away with. Manger incompetent

Pros

Good pay. Work on your own

Cons

Some of the people we work with….. bad things happen incompetent manager

Good atmosphere at work amongst colleagues

Working a 0 hr contract has its advantages especially when your studying and a single mom. You can pick and choose your shifts as its casual work. They only need you when they want you. So your not tied to a regular shift pattern. You do need back support. Whether it's a student grant or top up from benefits it helps on the short weeks when you don't get a shift. The pay is good as you start at £10 an hr the it increases every 13 weeks. So the longer your there the more you get. It is a real family scenario as you get to know the regulars and everyone is so welcoming. It is hard work especially on your feet and you have to be reasonaly fit for the physical side of the job. In short I enjoyed my time there and made lifelong friends.

Pros

Smooth radio in the background

Cons

Sore feet

Excellent place to work!

Workload is very easy but its repetitive, boring and requires for you to be on your feet all day. I'm really happy it is only a 5 hour shift for 5 days a week. The men's roles are tipping bags filled with parcels and letters onto the conveyer belt (which will then allow the women to sort them in the correct yorkies) and replacing yorkies that have been filled and placing new ones in their position. The women mainly sort mail and make cardboard boxes so the yorkies can be replaced. The supervisors are great and everything is explained really well. You can make friends easily and have interesting conversations whilst working with your colleagues. There's no clocking in and out. You only sign the timesheet with your signature and if you forget to sign in/out you won't get paid for that day!The Christmas casuals don't get lockers, they have to put their belongings in a tub which has a number and you are given a small piece of paper with the matching number. Overall, its a good place to work When applying, you should bare in mind that it is a physically demanding job. If you don't like standing/walking all shift and doing repetitive work, then don't apply.

Pros

Short hours, easy work, nice people, relaxed environment, no targets or KPIs

Cons

Temporary, no lockers for the casuals, minimum wage, standing/walking alot, boring and repetitive

Top company

Royal mail is a brilliant company to work for without doubt. Management are so supportive always there if needed. I have loved my time at royal mail. I dont think I will ever move from this company.

Pros

Pay, working hours

Cons

Weather

Royal mail

I really enjoy working at the Royal Mail the staff are really helpful and colleagues are very polite also if you need any help with you ask your colleague to help you.

Pros

The mail sort is very easy to do.

Cons

The York is difficult because you Unload the item to the York.

good honest job

challenging but rewarding,ideal for people with school aged children. early starts but early finishes.weather is the worst issue but you learn to deal with it

Productive workplace so time went fast as there was always work to do.

A typical day i would go to the department which my manager chooses and start the fast paced work such as organising letters and parcels into the correct containers. I learned what it would be like to work in any warehouse.

Good employers

I have autism and find work very hard to find. Royal Mail has been good for me as I don't feel different to other workers, and am comfortable knowing their anti bullying policies and the ease of reporting any problems / concerms

Was alright

i was a very fast-paced environment that is perfectly fine until your feet start to ache from standing too still,however the shifts go by and then you just gotta make your way home

Very old culture

very slow, Senior managers always tend to agree with Unions so as a leader you cannot change many thanks. If you are ambitious and work at pace, bring new technology, challenging behaviours and productive, avoid working for this company. People sit behind desk and chase Managers for results when they siding with trade unions you cannot change much and they stress for no reason. If you are different and have ideas they do not listen, the company is very much still public mentality, it will take years to change anything. The culture is very toxic, i have done 8 years and still young so decided to move on. if you want to work at a slow pace and not get the support as a leader when there is conflicts with trade union, you want to be quite and follow some weak process then this is your company. I must say i had a lot of fun with some amazing colleagues

Pros

Unionised- job security

Cons

Very slow, very bureaucratic

good relaxed

very relaxed environment flexible hours working at your own pace.Management was very friendly.What i enjoyed most about the job was you wasnt working to any deadlines

A Good place to work

Although most days are conference call heavy and management by exception, senior roles are well paid and there is largely a supportive culture. Long hours are expected and most operational roles now have an expectation of being a "general manager" due to support functions being cut. Company is modernizing and changing and it's overall a good place to work.

Good job

Working at present Royal Mail I’ve been here for about 24 years and it’s a superb place to work for I’ve had some great times here, holiday pay and pension is great.

Wish I had stayed there!

Great company! I loved working there. Hard work, but I didn't mind. I would work there again, but I do the test and it keeps saying job has been withdrawn. I think they don't want anyone 49 or over.

Pros

Great company to work for, look after you.

Cons

The test to get in get completed and then it says job withdrawn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement