Royal Mail
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Royal Mail Employee Reviews in London

London301 reviews

Found 301 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,101 reviews

Highly dependent on where you work

Your enjoyment is highly dependent on what office you join, as every office has a different culture, shift patterns, management style etc.Generally speaking the job is easy to grasp, quieter summers and really heavy in the winter as you'd expect. Offices are run on a seniorty basis, so a new starter will most probably be allocated holiday dates last, so good luck getting kids holidays off. You will also most likely be a reserve, meaning you day off week to week will be randomly assigned based on necessity. Could be between 6 months and 10 years before you get offered a full time duty. Again, everything is 100% dependent on what office you join, and there's no way of knowing what to expect beforehand unless you know someone working there. You may have the most miserable years of your life working as a postman or the best, and the difference could be you're 1 mile apart.

Third class place to work

Royal Mail International (HWDC)is the rubbish place to work. Management and the plant manager doesn't what they are doing. Full of favouritism. Big bosses are not professional and promoting incapable and can not see the strategic direction. Work is become less and less. They are playing with the future of 1800 staff working there.

Insights into Royal Mail

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Toxic work environment and overworked

* No work life balance* Bullying management* Overloaded with work & little time to deliver* Stressfull environment* Working in all weather conditions

Pros

Pay & conditions good for now until that too is cut down

Cons

5+ hours outdoors delivering, bullying management, long hours

Large company, slow change

Thing seems alright when I was in the company. Project progress could be very slow due to long communication and sudden changes within and outside the team.Average pay and compensation. Very frequent restructuring within the company makes the job unsecured.

Company does not look after employees

To Royal Mail you are just a number. They don’t care about their staff, only the many they can make off of you. Even the customers aren’t cared for. People will go days without important letters, but as long as the expensive items are delivered they don’t care. Post workers work their hardest for no recognition. Used to be an amazing company to work for, now every body is miserable and looking for work elsewhere. You work hard, but for nothing. Wouldn’t reccomend this job to anyone.

Stressful

Senior management haven't a clue how to run the business.Local management are mostly failed posties that have very little training on how to be a manager.

Good pay, fun mates, secure job

Pros:- Must be the best pay in the industry, that doesn't require any skills- Fun mates- Uniform provided from head to toes- Good OT- Good finishing time- Overall the company looks after you Cons:- Can get really stressing and fast paced, but you have support- Weather can be harsh- Dogs will bite

Challenging lots to learn

Worked here for a long time enjoyed the job progression was difficult took many years. When finally achieved my goal was made redundant. Constant changing of management difficult to know where to go. Lots of cronyism.amd favouritism and old boys club. Difficult for women to progress in operations

Pros

Free stamps

Cons

Constant reorganisations

Worth it

The pay for a Christmas temp is really good for the night shift (15.75ph). The hours were inconsistent and they were cut short at the beginning, but if you stay until the end there will be enough overtime. I recommend if ask to choose large packages to sort. The people sorting letters where sent home often.

Fast paced, easy

Can get busy and is very repetitive, but very nice management and co-workers. On your feet all shift but manageable. No food options on site for break so must bring your own or rely on a few overpriced vending machines with little options

Don't bother, no support, no trust, no stability

The senior management are killing Royal Mail. They have removed any trust within the company tying it in with an unachievable scorecard & non existent bonus.

Pros

Good work hours

Cons

Too much pressure

Not a bad temporary job over Christmas.

As a Christmas temp I enjoyed working with Royal Mail. Work is simple just a bit physical but not too bad. Thought it would be a lot more stressful than it was because of the time of year but it wasn't, was able to just get on with what I had to do, listen to some music if wanted and get through the shift.

Terrible working experience

On my first day nobody knew about me turning up to work, so the manager placed me together with another postman to do his delivery walk. This was the “training” I received. A week later I was doing it on my own….

Fun working environment, need to be organised and motivated. Good level of fitness is required as you can walk over 6 miles a day

Helpful co workers with understanding management. Start the day by sorting your frame with Mail and parcels. Loading the van and starting your round. Plan and organise your route and deliver all parcels and mail before heading back to the depot

Pros

Fresh air lots of exercise, helpful and friendly co workers

Cons

Can be very busy with heavy loads

Working out side

If you want to keep your sanity don’t work for this company. Managers just want the walks convert at all cost even if that means constante pressure on the workers. The treatment given to staff depends on walks on the deck to be covered.

Pros

Working hours

Cons

Poor management

Good job

Good benefits and payGreat hoursCan match around having kids eg school runs work at 8.30 til 2.30 Opportunity for overtimeWeekly pay for OPGs and monthly for managers

Very happy

Great time in 10 years service. I worked at a train station loading mail bags on /off trains as well as sorting mail bags coming off the trains into destination cages.i had a very enjoyable time there.

Cons

Shift work

Contractor

I was so pleased when I got the job with Royal Mail. The Management and team made me feel welcome and helped me learn new skills alongside my own.I was only there for 3 months but happy to work again for them if welcomed in the future. Due to this Pandemic it's been hard to keep a job and taking what I can given a chance I enjoy every moment. The pay was good exactly what I got before and I worked from home always have done.

Pros

Flexible, good rate of pay, willing to help you learn and supportive!

Yes is productive and fun workplace with laughter

Royal mail is a good place to work because from the management to the workers everyone shows respect to each other . You just concentrate on .

Pros

Cons

Yes if only you can but not compulsory

Its a good company but can feel restrictive

There are a lot of positives for Royal Mail, The operational managers in general are great people. It pays well and it does offer flexibility. I think if you're a low manager or starting of then great but if your a senior manager / director I think you'd find it frustrating and demotivating due to the lack of change and ambition.The problem is the management is very old fashioned and its very much management focused and not leadership focused. I have been a senior manager for a number of years and since privatization they have a management review EVERY year. As a result I get promoted and then due to the review and regions etc being reduced I then go backwards. It does feel like a old boys club during this as I've consistently achieved the great results but the people who have been in the job the longest always pick up the jobs...... no exceptions regardless of results.The union is very strong and delay all change so thing can take months and years to bring in when the logic is strong which can also be frustrating.Innovation is almost non existent and they opt for the tried and tested methods, which in most cases are reactive. Very little focus on leading indicators

Pros

Good benfits, can be flexible, good team

Cons

Old fashioned, reactive management, strong union

Stressful and we'll pressure environment

I was not welcome as a new recruit all old and permanent employees looked at me like and treated me like I am there to take their job .Management was very rude and unkind , I was always given most toughest route which involve lots of heavy load and involve many stairs going up and down carrying heavy load , I always ended up spending more time completing my walk and not getting paid for the overtime and always pushed from one depot to another which was very inconvenient for me .On many occasions I was bullied by the staff and many times toilets lights were turned off while I was using the toilet and left in the dark after treated badly for several months I decided to resign from the job because I realized that management is part of this whole stressful environment around me .

Pros

Cons

Long hours but no over time payment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement