Royal Mail

United Kingdom1,273 reviews

Found 1,273 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,164 reviews
mailparcelsortingpostmanpostcodeletterchristmasdelivery

Changing

Hard going at busy times. Expected to do more and more and only gonna get worse with changes to working practices. Don’t expect postman pat just wandering round chatting to ppl at the door

It was a good job!

I really enjoyed my first 2 years in Royal Mail but after that everything started to change, and more it’s about to change unfortunately. It’s a shame because it could be a great workplace.

Insights into Royal Mail

Based on 1,284 survey responses
What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging

Good

I worked for Royal Mail for nearly 9 years. My colleagues were great. The work was hard. I worked in all types of weather. But overall I enjoyed my time there.

Stressful busy environment, management poor

Stressful, busy environment, management poor, self obsessed, and uncaring towards staff. Canteen closed down, gets busier every year, cost cutting and squeezing more and more out of staff.

You do work hard

Poor senior management up to and including boardroom . Delivery office managers are ok and do what they can. Getting time off can be difficult. You do work hard for your money, it’s impossible not to. Used to be fairly well paid but is 3 or 4 pounds an hour short in my opinion. You do get paid weekly and every minute of overtime you do.

Hard work but keeps you fit

Some people think being a postie is an easy job but it is physically very demanding. Typical day 2 hours in office preparing your duty then 6 hours out on delivery (rural office). Good job but be careful of taking on too much overtime as your body wont thank you for it!

Decent

Decent job but has got worse the longer I’ve been with the company. Pros and cons like any job. Good and bad managers. Depends if you work in a small or large office

Progressive & fun company to work for

Good company to work for if you're looking for good work/life balance. Overtime pretty much always available and shifts are also flexible.Employee benefits and perks are great too as a side!

Wouldn't recommend to anyone

Apparently it used to be a good job but not any more. Terrible managers, poor training, limited hours and heavy workloads. Booking holidays almost impossible and claiming overtime payment is like trying to get blood our of a stone.

Pros

Working away from the depot

Cons

Nearly everything

Don't bother

Don't even bother applying. Nothing good about it at all. Managers are constantly on your back. Unfair expectations. A Chief Executive that's damaging the company and expecting postmen and postwomen to take an awful drop in working/living standards.

Pros

Cons

Everything about the job

You are simply just a number for profit

It used to be a good job 18 years ago until we were privatised in 2014. Since then it's been a huge squeeze for profits and shareholders. Nowadays you're looking at around 5-6 hours out on delivery, driving for up to 3-4 hours and walking on average 27-30,000 steps/11 miles a day in the elements every day. It's not sustainable. If you have family or kids, you don't have any energy left for them which is sad. Every single person in my office has an ailment - dodgy hip/back/knee etc from being overworked.I'm not a grumpy workshy old man either (yet!)I'm not even 40, hardly drink, don't smoke and I'm not overweight yet I still find it very difficult not to feel like death at the end of the shift every evening. In fact I'm one of the happy ones in my office!The more harder you work, the more they want.If you are good (intelligent, hardworking, competent), you will get the longest and most complex routes.You will always be making up for the slackers, however they are paid the same as you/more in some cases if they've been there longer.Having worked in Sussex and Cornwall, it's the same in every office across the country, most people are either holding on for retirement or looking for a way out.Management are usually chocolate teapots who don't care/can't care because they're too stressed themselves.If you're looking into this kind of work, have a look at courier jobs where you'll be paid per parcel/for your efforts.

Pros

Lots of 'fresh air' (sunburn, rain & wind) and vitamin D, builds good endurance. Good holiday allowance and sick pay...for now. Good banter in the office

Cons

Very tiring, Upwards of 5, 000 calories burned on a busy day, Unsustainable workloads, No energy left to do anything you want to do, Terms and conditions are about to be slashed, Not a family friendly job

Good fun job, bad management

The job is good, lots of exercise, you are mostly left to get on with it. However it is so badly managed. Managers have no clue how to run the place. Very frustrating in the building and new staff get put on the worst rounds that have double mail/parcels. If you can stick it out the job gets better as you can find your own round and set days off. Many don’t stick it out, so a big turnover of new staff

Pros

Freedom, exercise

Cons

Understaffed. Terrible management.

Fine if you don't mind lots of walking and don't want any progression

Management structure is dreadful. As a front line worker you are expected to do more than you have time for with parcels rapidly growing in numbers but hours in the day staying the same.Very little progression opportunities. Working outside is good (unless it is cold and wet).You feel like you are part of the community.Strong sense of us and them between workers and management but I have worked for worse companies.

Pros

Working outside

Cons

Physically demanding and average pay

Hard work, good money, top management trying to make the job harder

When I first started job 25 years ago it was a doddle, but now it's really hard work, walking for 4 to 5 hours a day. The staff are a really good, really good banter

Great British institute

Well the best days have gone I'd advise anyone to avoid this place of work as the atmosphere of royal mail is a toxic place of bullying and narrow minded individuals. If you want to work in predominantly male environment where anyone of another gender gets treated badly

Pros

Book of Stamps at Christmas

Cons

Removal of Terms and conditions, First class operation on a £2.50 budget

fast paced, well paid, hard job

A typical day is from 6am to 3pm, although overtime is always available due to understaffing. Delivery office management is approachable, but not well performing. Benefits available (for me discounted dental insurance was useful)

Low morale

Totally unrealistic work targets . Management under severe pressure to push more work onto people. The people on frontline carrying the company while upper management only want to line their pockets

You need to be very fit

Delivery person with driving 24 hours per weekNote that this job is for a reserve position, not a regular route -working alongside established posties who do have full time, regular routes. Try out your fitness first. I didn’t and now have a long term injury. Perhaps try filling a backpack or shoulder bag until you can just about carry it. Speed walk around an area, on pavements not grass, with lowered kerbs and hills for at least 4 hours non stop. Should give you an idea. If you are ok doing this - go for it. Met a few really lovely posties and a lot of reserves in the same boat as you will give you support. Would recommend the job if you don’t mind being available for a 7-day shift pattern which can change right up to the last minute, and have always kept very fit or worked in a physical environment. You only have a 24 hour contract but if you can hack the physical side they will give you overtime. Management do their best with such a huge part time staff and rota to sort. They will help you where they can.

Postie Good job but bogged down with politics

The job as a postie is fine but you unfortunately get bogged down in politics between the other posties and management. Management are totally inept & are afraid to challenge the lazy posties who have been there a long time.

Terrible work environment

When you're finally out in your van it's not too bad, the workload is too much for the time you're given so it can be stressful but you work alone for the most part.When you're in the depot prepping your letters and parcels it's a terrible environment to be in, toxic work culture, no opportunities for advancement, underpaid, and it's only going to get worse. There is a reason we are striking.

Good workplace

Good place to work, nice when your out on delivery. Your you own boss.Some days really busy, get really busy around Christmas time. Expected to work overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Royal Mail with

Learn about Royal Mail in popular locations

• Royal Mail
  • Mail Carrier
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?