Royal Society of Chemistry

Royal Society of Chemistry Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom22 reviews

Welcoming and inclusive team

Welcoming team, who made starting a new role remotely less daunting and are always willing to help. There is good communication between teams and information is shared across the organisation, which makes flexible working easier. Great facilities at Thomas Graham House and decent benefits.

Pros

Supportive team, flexibility, good work-life balance, good facilities at the office.

Cons

Temporary contracts.

A friendly place to work with a good work life balance

I have had a very positive experience starting at the RSC despite starting during the pandemic. The induction period was welcoming and thorough. The management are friendly and the work/life balance is a priority. The work has been very interesting so far and varied.

Pros

Canteen with great choice

Cons

A traditional view of hierarchy

Relatively new - but a good supportive start

I've started in Covid lock down and as yet not met staff in person or worked in the office. Onboarding was a slick informative process and meetings by zoom friendly and relaxed. It feels an exciting place to work, even if you don't have an interest/qualification in science, as colleagues are enthusiastic and passionate and care about what they do. It's a modern organisation, forward thinking and well driven from the top down. I has great flexible working and you can be homebased in some roles. It is fast paced in many teams, but so long as you are prepared for this and are good at time management and dealing with stakeholders, this shouldn't be an issue.

Pros

supportive and understanding HR and management, latest technology, friendly, inclusive, parking, staff restaurant, bright offices

Cons

none so far

Great workplace with very friendly people

RSC is a great place to work with opportunities for career development. Training is very well done and I feel supported in the role. I felt like I had integrated into the team from the first day as everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I am gaining responsibilities over time so I don't feel overwhelmed or stressed by the workload. Overall thoroughly enjoying working here!

Pros

Supportive team, flexible working hours, very nice office, good benefits package

Cons

N/a

Great people to work with

I was there on a six-week temp assignment. Sadly it ended prematurely as the office was shut down due to the Coronavirus pandemic. I really enjoyed working there. People were very friendly and collaborative.

Happy Place To Work

My experience of working at The RSC has been a happy one. I have been welcomed by all and made to feel part of the team from day one. You get a welcome card signed by all the team and you'll have a team lunch on your 1st day and induction is really thorough.

A very professional organisation to work for

A love and hate relationship as RSC is very professional but workload is massive. A very generous company with decent benefit to support. Lovely team members.

Very odd culture

The role was very interesting but the culture was very strange and stressful - everyone was overworked and loads of people had mental health problems. Crying in the loo was quite common -

Amazing place to work

The Royal Society of Chemistry is a great Company to work for and recently added to the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies list. The organisation invests heavily in its managers and is doing more to improve and support a better work life balance.

Pros

Great people and benefits package

Cons

Too many managers

Public Organisation

In all honesty I believe that I was not right for this role, and I felt very unsupported in the role. I prefer a business environment rather than working within a public organisation.

Pros

Supported Studies and career advancement

Poor

A typical day at work would start by being mocked by the team leader or the individual would call me names. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Management was not very helpful, especially when bullying has been reported. Workplace Culture always felt uncomfortable, awkward and not very welcome. I didn't enjoy any of the job, due to not being trained to high enough standard

Pros

N/a

Cons

Can be good for a specific type of person

During the training phase, the trainers were incredibly helpful. A key problem was the general atmosphere in the publishing department. The office was extremely silent, and it seemed frowned upon to even have the most basic conversation during work, which resulted in most of the day with each person sitting in silence. The company have worked hard to provide amazing work benefits (healthcare etc), but publishing can be very intense, and it can feel that the managers are purely driven by the quantity achieved each week, as opposed to the balance needed of how the individual employer is progressing.

Pros

People very friendly, location very beautiful, flexible hours

Cons

Not much room to progress, atmosphere too silent

Productive and forward thinking

A typical day is planning your workload for the day. Prioritising what needs to be done. I spend quite a lot of time talking to members helping them with their queries. I also spend a lot of time doing e-alerts, which are marketing email to our customers.

Pros

Subsudised meals

Cons

Good work environment, but leadership is variable across teams

As with all workplaces, it's very much down to your manager, and the directorate leadership in this case is variable to the point of making it great to work in some teams, and very difficult in others.

Very odd

I regret wasting several years of my life working for this company, they have a very strange culture, there is a feeling of indoctrination. Management don't listen to staff, their annual reviews are pointless as no-one makes any changes.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Too many to list

Nice employer

Pros Friendly colleagues, good management and great location. Cons Poor pay review. Overall I would recommend it to anyone willing to gain experience in their field.

Fun workplace

This was a program run by the Royal Society of Chemistry not an official job, therefore the work days were whenever a workshop was booked by a school where it took place.

Pros

Enabling students to have hands on experience with an infrared spectrometer.

Cons

Students losing focus in longer workshops.

Lots of opportunity

Everyone is lovely, the people make the company. Though they're now going through an economic tightening of budgets, they achieve a lot and are good to their employees.

Monotonous but friendly

Everyone is really friendly and you will have friends. Managers are generally quite young and friendly too, and the Leadership are very down to earth. At first the work is interesting but then you reach a plateau and that does not change very much. The salary is enough to get by and probably worth the relaxed nature of the job, but it's small in comparison to many jobs out there - not really enough for huge savings. The pension is very good on the other hand.

Nice working atmosphere, good work/life balance

A really nice place to work - great people and you have flexibility with your working hours and a good work/life balance. Lots of encouragement for developing and progressing in your career. Salary was a little too low in my opinion, given the high cost of living in Cambridge.

Great friendly place to work

Good place to work, fantastic staff, great Board of Trustees. Fantastic history, look after their staff well. Would recommend to anyone to work there.

Pros

Based near RAA

Cons

Two bases London and Cambridge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Society of Chemistry. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Royal Society of Chemistry Reviews by Location

• Royal Society of Chemistry
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?