Royal Society of Chemistry

Royal Society of Chemistry Employee Reviews

RSC is a great place to work with opportunities for career development. Training is very well done and I feel supported in the role. I felt like I had integrated into the team from the first day as everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I am gaining responsibilities over time so I don't feel overwhelmed or stressed by the workload. Overall thoroughly enjoying working here!
Pros
Supportive team, flexible working hours, very nice office, good benefits package
Cons
N/a
I was there on a six-week temp assignment. Sadly it ended prematurely as the office was shut down due to the Coronavirus pandemic. I really enjoyed working there. People were very friendly and collaborative.
My experience of working at The RSC has been a happy one. I have been welcomed by all and made to feel part of the team from day one. You get a welcome card signed by all the team and you'll have a team lunch on your 1st day and induction is really thorough.
A love and hate relationship as RSC is very professional but workload is massive. A very generous company with decent benefit to support. Lovely team members.
The role was very interesting but the culture was very strange and stressful - everyone was overworked and loads of people had mental health problems. Crying in the loo was quite common -
The Royal Society of Chemistry is a great Company to work for and recently added to the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies list. The organisation invests heavily in its managers and is doing more to improve and support a better work life balance.
Pros
Great people and benefits package
Cons
Too many managers
In all honesty I believe that I was not right for this role, and I felt very unsupported in the role. I prefer a business environment rather than working within a public organisation.
Pros
Supported Studies and career advancement
A typical day at work would start by being mocked by the team leader or the individual would call me names. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Management was not very helpful, especially when bullying has been reported. Workplace Culture always felt uncomfortable, awkward and not very welcome. I didn't enjoy any of the job, due to not being trained to high enough standard
Pros
N/a
Cons
During the training phase, the trainers were incredibly helpful. A key problem was the general atmosphere in the publishing department. The office was extremely silent, and it seemed frowned upon to even have the most basic conversation during work, which resulted in most of the day with each person sitting in silence. The company have worked hard to provide amazing work benefits (healthcare etc), but publishing can be very intense, and it can feel that the managers are purely driven by the quantity achieved each week, as opposed to the balance needed of how the individual employer is progressing.
Pros
People very friendly, location very beautiful, flexible hours
Cons
Not much room to progress, atmosphere too silent
A typical day is planning your workload for the day. Prioritising what needs to be done. I spend quite a lot of time talking to members helping them with their queries. I also spend a lot of time doing e-alerts, which are marketing email to our customers.
Pros
Subsudised meals
Cons
As with all workplaces, it's very much down to your manager, and the directorate leadership in this case is variable to the point of making it great to work in some teams, and very difficult in others.
I regret wasting several years of my life working for this company, they have a very strange culture, there is a feeling of indoctrination. Management don't listen to staff, their annual reviews are pointless as no-one makes any changes.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Too many to list
Pros Friendly colleagues, good management and great location. Cons Poor pay review. Overall I would recommend it to anyone willing to gain experience in their field.
This was a program run by the Royal Society of Chemistry not an official job, therefore the work days were whenever a workshop was booked by a school where it took place.
Pros
Enabling students to have hands on experience with an infrared spectrometer.
Cons
Students losing focus in longer workshops.
Everyone is lovely, the people make the company. Though they're now going through an economic tightening of budgets, they achieve a lot and are good to their employees.
Everyone is really friendly and you will have friends. Managers are generally quite young and friendly too, and the Leadership are very down to earth. At first the work is interesting but then you reach a plateau and that does not change very much. The salary is enough to get by and probably worth the relaxed nature of the job, but it's small in comparison to many jobs out there - not really enough for huge savings. The pension is very good on the other hand.
A really nice place to work - great people and you have flexibility with your working hours and a good work/life balance. Lots of encouragement for developing and progressing in your career. Salary was a little too low in my opinion, given the high cost of living in Cambridge.
Good place to work, fantastic staff, great Board of Trustees. Fantastic history, look after their staff well. Would recommend to anyone to work there.
Pros
Based near RAA
Cons
Two bases London and Cambridge
What a supportive and inclusive place to work. Full of highly driven people in lovely modern offices. The work was interesting and you are encouraged to get stuck in at every opportunity. A great place to grow.