Royal Star & Garter

Royal Star & Garter Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews

Productive, energised and exciting care home

Since starting to work for this care home management have always been supportive, and staff in general have been friendly. Management have gone out of their way to offer staff extra working hours to support their financial needs in this time of rising cost of living. Under the difficult working conditions of COVID and illness they have bent over backwards to accommodate staff needs without neglecting residents. I highly recommend working for this care home.

Pros

competitive salaries, management support

Cons

nothing comes to mind

A beautiful and supportive place to work for

I find the Royal Star and Garter in High Wycombe such a beautiful place to work for.I always receive plenty of support and encouragement.I feel a sense of purpose and satisfaction, which allows me to feel happy with where I work and I can see, that working here makes a real difference to residents, who live here.My training needs are always seen to, which enables me to progress in my nursing career.I would recommend this place to anyone, who wishes to work for a supportive place with a pleasant and beautiful environment.

Pros

See above

Cons

Unable to think of any

Insights into Royal Star & Garter

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Good place to work with supportive management

A friendly, modern workplace with supportive colleagues and management. The best care home I have ever worked in with many benefits for the employees.

Pros

Friendly environment, Supportive management

Unsupportive managers.

Managers are very unsupportive. You feel uneasy approaching them. All managers, directors, HR etc are all very friendly so if you report one, the others will know. Managers don’t know staff well or even who’s on shift (calling staff to cover when they’re already in the building!) always short staff, more agency staff than ever. Always promising more care staff but nothing.

Not as good as expected

The majority of the work is done by the same individuals, staff disappear to the toilets! leaving the work to the people who care about the residents.Management expect you to work overtime to cover shifts, you do because you care about the residents, but when your sick as your run down, they don't understand !Staff who ignore other staff. Staff who are always talking the talk but don't actually pull their weight.Staffs responsibility to take breaks on time, but no one to relieve you! 12.5 hour shifts, no allocated time for administration, writing notes, so you leave late, Sold the dream...didn't live up to what I was told at the induction and interview.

Best company i have wirked for

Training given Workplace is of the highest standardSalary is above the rest Focus is based only on the residents Loved working at star and garter They have set me up with the best standards

Pros

Best salary

Cons

12 hr shift

Amazing care home

I worked at the royal star and garter for a short time due to personal circumstances.I cannot rate the star and garter home highly enough.The induction and the interview process was great even during the difficult covid times. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, residents absolutely lovely! The home itself is the best care home I have ever seen, so many things for the residents to do and so many great staff to take care of them. I worked in the dementia unit and in over 10 years of working in other care homes I can honestly say that this is 100% the best home I have entered!The staffing levels are very high which is amazing!!! Thank you for having me for a short time, it was a great experience!

Pros

Amazing place to work, great staffing levels

Cons

N/a

Rewarding place to work

Really enjoy working at Royal Star & Garter. Colleagues are very supportive and there is an inclusive culture. We all work together for the good of the charity. I get to visit all three Homes and its a pleasure to walk in and witness the outstanding provided.

Pros

Support for colleagues, desire to do what's best for the charity, inclusive

A supportive and caring place to work.

I'm proud to work at Royal Star & Garter, caring for veterans. We are based in an admin office but in normal times visit the Homes often to find out about and publicise our work and every visit is delightful. The Homes are lively and welcoming and there's always something interesting happening. We are well supported in training and well managed. I feel respected and listened to. The culture is inclusive and staff well-being is always considered. The hardest part is being on 4 different sites; the best part is getting to hear the stories and meeting the residents.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Workload

My work day varies depending on what is going on at the time but I am aware of tasks that should be completed daily, managers and other members of the team and wider team are always happy to help or advise if needed. Very much work as a team. Nice environment to work in also. Flexible working hours are a real bonus too.

Pros

Flexible, Friendly, Teamwork

Warm, collaborative org that strives to live it's values

I have really enjoyed working at Royal Star & Garter over the past 8 months. I work in the Head Office and it is amazing to visit the Homes and see the positive impact of my work. The organisation is big enough to be innovative and small enough to be personal. The staff are lovely; friendly and helpful and everyone really cares about delivering the best possible care to our residents.

A great, supportive environment

Royal Star & Garter is a charity with a very inclusive and supportive workplace culture: 'as a family' is a value that is greately uphold for residents, relatives and staff. In my experience, it strikes a great balance between pushing us to give the best we can while giving us all the support needed to achieve its very high standards. Management is attentive to each individual's needs and there is a coherent strategy in place. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the residents we care for, listening to their incredible lives and seeing their lovely smiles while chatting with them over a cup of tea.

Supportive

Everyone is very supportive and I feel that I have transitioned into my role well. There is a lovely culture at the office and within my team - everyone wants what is best for the charity.

Personally in my opinion royal star and garter was a good place to work and the team there are incredible they are motivated and enthusiastic about there job and that is what i like to see.

No support

Expect you to work all hours High use of agency nurses No support No team work Low staff morale High staff sickness Chase mandatory trainings Not a happy environment

Pros

Park on site

Cons

No support

Good experience

I have put myself forward to volunteer at a care home for war veterans. Mainly, I would listen to their stories of the war and this was not only a good opportunity to learn but also ask questions about the history.

friendly and forward looking

A very happy place to work, all departments within the organisation have a good working environment and team work is great and rewarding, plenty of opportunities to improve your job/personal development, there is always sounds of laughter throughout the home, very warm and welcoming, modern and excellent resourses.

Pros

family atmosphere, happy and friendly

Cons

sometimes short of staff

brilliant

I was a volunteer and found the staff very helpful and the clients were really well look after. I enjoyed my time there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Star & Garter. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement