RSA
Happiness score is 52 out of 100

RSA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom198 reviews

Productive and fun place to work

RSA has been a very good place to work and one feels very valued.. There is a high sense of belonging. And members are kept well informed of all developments within the company

terrible hours, low pay, what more can I say?

RSA said all the right things in the hiring process but from the first day of training I realised accepting this position was a huge mistake. The 40-hour workweek dragged on, days seemed endless. The managers reeked of insincerity, I could tell it was a culture of setting employees up for failure. The training lasted three weeks and covered a variety of insurance underwriting topics, none of which was included in the final test. why bother? Wasted 2 months of my life there and will regret it forever.

Pros

on-site cantina with cheap eats.

Cons

long hours, insincere management, every second of your day is monitored and quantified, they will use this data to deny performance bonuses

One of the nicest places I have worked

If you want to be treated with respect and made to feel welcome then this is the place to work. Excellent colleagues are friendly and usually willing to help you. The job is fairly repetitive but then aren't most jobs so?To be Frank, the only thing that I would change is the dogmatic call guide you have to follow, like Just a Minute, without Deviation or Hesitation but with Loads of Repetition. Q A listening will hit you like a ton of bricks if you don't. For instance @Did not say the correspondence or risk address' when issuing the policy. Well where do they think we are insuring?Somewhere on the moon!Leave at the door any ideas about using common sense. Follow the rules..Or Else ! Unbelievably inflexible and a dreadful experience for the consumer to have to listen to a load of drival. Even my dog would know what it is about after half an hour of spiel.The only other issue you will find challenging to deal with here is the tribal team culture where if you upset someone in another team or department you will get to find out. Rather like a secondary school situation, if you dare to tell someone they are wrong then they tell Miss and she will have a word with your class teacher and she will be cross with you and will not back you up.It is all a bit childish, quite frankly, but the average age here is 19 among the first jobbers so I expect it is a carry on of what they are used to.The insurance software breaks down frequently and leaves you in the proverbial duck creek.

Pros

Super environment and nice people(chosen for their niceness)

Cons

Often not enough time to do the tasks as they cut the time to micro seconds between calls

If I could rate this place a 0 I would!!

Absolutely horrendous management! Staff turnover is bad too, with staff leaving every week. Managers horrendous and make you feel so low! Especially two in particular managers that will gossip at each other’s desks about the mental and psychical health of their employees. I would not work here ever again even if I was paid 1 million.

Pros

Non

Cons

Would highly recommend working for RSA, lots of opportunities to progress and the management drive you to succeed. I worked for RSA for nearly 4 years and during my time there I went on lots of courses and improved my management skills.

Pros

Lovely building

Cons

Shift work

Lowest salary for the industry at all job levels.

Immediate management are nice and supportive however they are limited in what they can do to make the job more positive. The salary is the lowest in the insurance industry and is not even close to being in line with other companies.RSA will expect you to go above and beyond, taking on additional duties and responsibilities but they will not compensate you for doing this. They will argue that you receive benefits that form part of your overall pay package however its money that people want from work not unusable irrelevant benefits.

Pros

Staff are nice.

Cons

Lowest pay in the industry. Will expect you to take on more work for free.

So supportive during Covid

The management at RSA are very supportive and have treat everyone great during Covid. It is a call centre job but my team are great and manager is good and fair. Pay isn't great when first starting but do have pay reviews. Office is old and my desk is older than me but it is okay.

Pros

Team

Cons

Need a new office

More than more like more less. Lol

I used to work in this place in 2016 and it was a terrible low paid job where you was expected to do so much with little in return. I was full of anxiety working in this place and the job was quite intense considering the low wage.

Pros

Nice view in dinner area

Cons

Wages, scallies that worked there, cliques, the manager thought he was boss.

Not what youd expect

I actually normally don’t write reviews for employers but I felt like I should write a review here. This might be somewhat of a long review but trust me; I believe this is worth the read. I've worked and still currently am working here and I will say if you're looking for a quick job then look no further, this job is a great starting position if you want to get your foot in the door for customer service/call center position. They will literally accept anyone as long as you aren't a complete fool. With that being said if you're looking for a longer term job this job is the furthest thing away from that. At the beginning I was enthusiastic and looking for a new challenge and this job destroyed that in a matter of months. Without giving away too much information I was exceeding these targets and performing well but unfortunately if you don’t have the right team leader you will just not progress. To be fair to the team leaders in my department a lot of them were actually decent and understanding but I just got unlucky and happened to get the one team leader who didn't follow up on anything. Adding on to team leaders I have friends that I know in other departments who also express how helpless they feel due to their team leader and team leaders in the department and there is clear favoritism. Another thing I will mention is the culture of the office. Everyone's passive aggressive and doesn't say what they're actually thinking. People will pretend to be nice to you then talk behind your back. Now again this isn't every single person in the office but all I will say is just -

Pros

Easy first time job, Good foot in the door for call centres

Cons

Long hours, management, no progression, bad work culture, Favouritism

Diverse and inclusive workplace, big on charity and voluntary work, ongoing coaching and development opportunities. Next steps programs, apprenticeship programs, lovely office location, free onsite parking, great range of benefits such as performance bonus, pension contribution, online support 365 days a year.

Pros

Free parking, free tea and coffee, development opportunities

I have thoroughly enjoyed working at RSA. RSA are flexible in working hours. Managers and colleagues are more like friends.Great work environment and great people.

Pros

Flexible and fun

Great people

The people are great and RSA will go out of their way to help you great place to work if there was no team leaders the higher management are okay but need to work on communication

Pros

People

Cons

Shifts

Worst place ever

This place destroyed me as a person and will do to you.All they care about is you on the phone, calls, calls, calls. Work over your hours if you take a call last minute and don’t get the time back. Ridiculous unachieveable targets that if you don’t hit you’re put on a plan. You have to work harder than hard to achieve a bonus which you don’t see because it’s so slight and get taxed on it. Pay raises are negotiable annually by your team leader - of which most are bullies (one destroyed me as a person and caused my long term mental health issues of which I haven’t recovered). So if the team leader doesn’t like you you’re not gonna get paid. Then if you do get an increase it depends on if the entire rsa have made profit and might get one percent increase. Not worth putting in that work.They can add additional hours to your day within a week and you find it hard to take back because of ‘no availability’Only opportunities are given to the managers cliques and everyone else is just a robot. Only plus side is the team members are canny. Not all. Some.

Pros

Some team mates. Got my dinner for nothing because I knew the canteen staff

Cons

Everything. Pay. Hours. Management. Bullying and harassment culture. Bonus are poor.

Really nice Seaview office

Enjoyed my time here the team were really nice and welcoming. Quite a cultural disconnect between offices. Management were uncommunicative and more critical than constructive especially to those who put themselves out and did most work.

Pros

Nice view nice colleagues and atmosphere

Cons

More work than could be done in the time allowed

Great when your on the right team

when i first started i loved it, then they changed our teams manager and it went down hill from there, they obviously had their favourites and i felt like they had it in for me to the point i had no choice but to leave. The customers are 50/50 some are nice and some are very horrible. Its very repetitive. Felt very isolated

Bullying not managed

Was bullied and my thanks was to be made redundant- would never ever recommended this organisation to anybody. Here is hoping this has changed in the past decade

Quick progression

As in anything If you put in the effort you will reap the rewards. RSA is very eager to progress people with potential and those that demonstrate working hard and fair.

Relaxed but constructive environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at RSA from the interview to training to working on the main floor. Having a confident telephone manner is one skill I was able to enhance whilst working here. The staff, from colleagues to managers were easy to talk to and work with. The hardest part of the job for me was dealing with the odd customer who would give you a difficult time but there were unlimited lines of support and guidance, including technical advisors who would not hesitate to come directly to you if needed/available. I spent six months in this role before deciding to resign to pursue further education but were it not for that decision I would have stayed as the opportunities for advancement and relocation are limitless. If you are looking for a relaxed, welcoming, and productive environment that allows you to grow both personally and interpersonally, apply now.

Pros

Free tea, coffee, fruit - opportunities for development/relocation - in-depth, well organised training

Cons

For me personally it was the staggered shifts but ultimately it wasn't the biggest deal

retired now

As retired now the question I feel is not a concern. I would like to do a temporary job that is easy to do whilst the country is going through this crisis I am fit and able and I am sure will get self reward in doing so. I am able to start straight away and flexible on hours

Don't think it was for me.

First off - I worked as an inbound call handler in the Nationwide Home Insurance department; "Customer Manager" was my title. I don't think the job was right for me, I wanted to spread my wings and fly - not be kept in a cage (so to speak) I am a reasonable person regarding work, who previously worked as a waiter and a supervisor and then left RSA to pursue a different career path. I needed the money and the job with RSA seemed promising and ticked the boxes Lets start with the good bits first... •The staff - as in the actual call handlers - are brilliant, and a couple (2) Team Leaders (TL) were great, best bunch all in all that I have ever worked with, •Everyone is happy to help eachother and have a laugh, everyone is stressed and maxed out together, in an 'all in this together' kind of way, •The money was okay too, •You have access to benefits and discounts - nobody will elaborate on how to use them though - eg 1% off at Apple - yes thats right - one percent! •The team you work in will feel like a family once you settle in, •4 weeks training - doesn't actually prepare for the job but it's fun none the less, •Social events - Pride events (Nationwide) Bowling and staff Parties •End of year bonus, •Availability of a Payrise, •The building and grounds were pleasant, •Secure staff carparks, •Secure building, •Occasional Lieu days, •Could go home early sometimes, •Well maintained building, •Break area with pool table, •Free to use hot drinks machines, •Table Tennis in break area, •Comfy sofas in break area, •Special equipment available if needed, •Occasional -

A very busy environment

In my current role I am responsible for underwriting cases including non-standard and complex, ones within in an agreed processes and risk appetite using, using appropriate judgement to achieve business development and retention targets. As part of my role I also deliver underwriting decisions, coaching less qualified and experienced colleagues and dealing with their referrals. I support more qualified staff colleagues and contribute to policy wording and also manage customer interactions.

Pros

Fun, friendly, fast paced

Cons

Demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RSA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement
  • RSA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?