RUSH Hair and Beauty
Happiness score is 33 out of 100

RUSH Hair and Beauty Employee Reviews

United Kingdom211 reviews

fun place to work

The salon was a fun place to work, team was great, manager was lovely but long day don’t finish till 9pm and very poor pay. Always offering a discount so made it impossible to hip targets! They offer great training and a good Academy in Central London!

Hair stylist

No breaks, long hours, no help, pay is not worth it. Very rude staff manager was not very nice, i did not know if i was coming or going. I had to walk out in the end as could not take the stess

Stressful

Stressful no lunch break back to back feel like a robot not valued as a staff member by the directors or head office started to take the fun out of hairdressing. Pay is rubbish. Not cared for or looked after just don’t work here!!!!! Be warned

Pros

Tips

Cons

Long hours no work life balance have to work every other Sunday

Untrustworthy management and workplace

Rush is unreliable and untrustworthy I am under appreciated and there is no support from management. Management stick together and very bias. Superiors are very passive aggressive and mentally draining when you need anything. Good supportive colleagues are the only pro

Pros

Some supportive coworkers

Cons

Management / job culture

Overworked, undervalued and underpaid

Great working environment if you work in a salon with a great team. The higher management do not match the professionalism of the lower management. FOH are expected to also do an assistants job role. Huge shortage of stock throughout many of the salons (stylists are often improvising with colours). Huge staff turnover. No bonuses or even pay reviews, no response from higher management when these are requested. No insentives, minimal support and not even a lunch break.

Pros

Working along side some very talented hairdressers

Cons

Poor pay, long hours, no HR support and no chance to progress

Great for friends, terrible for work

Just awful, the only thing the have going for them was their training programme, but all the good trainers have left anyway!Terrible work like balance, long hours especially if you want to make money. Gotta sell your soul to earn a decent wage here. I only worked there for so long because i liked the team but the company are terrible for recognising your talents and only want money from you. Dont even get me started on the bloody retail targets

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Everything you would want in a company they dont have

Don't work here unless you enjoy zero lunch breaks, unsociable hours and being worked to the bone.

Overall great training, some managers are good and others not so much. You don't get alot of support within the work place unless your a favorable team member. My manager was good but previous were unprofessional/unfair and alot of tasks were left to people who were unqualified.

Pros

Free training

Cons

Long hours No lunch breaks Biast Unreasonable targets

Overworked underpaid and unappreciated

Rush sell you a dream which is just that a dream ,you are promised the world and give her nothing in return for all your hard work. Salary is a pittance and you are worked to the point of exhaustion then you start to realise why there is such a high staff turnover.Your expected sometimes to work 12-hour days 6-7 days a week. There is no reward for your hard work or even a pat on the back and thank you for keeping the business open whilst on skeleton staff because everyone chooses to leave.You are constantly badgered to upsell and force retail sales on clients whether or not they need them.This salon is most certainly not about what the client needs but how much money you can get out of a client. And the name rush definitely is there ethos . You need to get the client in and out with the most amount of money spent as quickly as possible.If you want to have all your passion and creativity sucks out of you then this is the place to work.If you take pride in your job and you enjoy doing the stylists and you want to deliver the best hair possible to your client and this is not the salon for you find somewhere more joyous to work

Pros

Home time

Cons

Good training for beginner but not for long time

Good to learn as it’s basically a factory, and a fast pace place. Clients need to be in and out as soon as possible to make a maximum of profit. You can make mistakes on clients and then learn easily as they kind of don’t really care about clients but more about money. But long term working there is impossible as low life work balance (big salon opening times) and low salary.

Pros

Good training, as they don’t really care about clients, so you can do mistakes, as they don’t really mind

Cons

Long hours, not big consideration from management

Maintenance

Some managers might be good in certain saloons but the head office is run by people that are in experience and know one communicates. Good to learn hairdressing and be a stylist but don't see a career with this company, to many people leave. Job security is very bad.

Pros

Cons

Nights

Do not care about staff members

Do not care about staff members, unsociable long working hours, not a priority unless your bringing the salon in regular money, no lunch breaks offered, get in trouble for how you look on a regular basis

It’s Okay

There is no work life balance you are on call 24/7 to help management at their benefit. They are short staffed as have a ridiculously high staff turnover. Very competitive workplace. Stylists over christmas asked to work 8am-10pm. Unless you are an apprentice you never get a break during your shift regardless if it is stated on your contract. The only benefit I can think of is that you get your hair done for free.

Pros

You get your hair done for free

Cons

No work life balance / long hours / no breaks

Horrible work place to work at

My honest review, Typical day at salon is stressful, employees or customers are constantly difficult, or some days both.I have learned about how to manage every penny in the business. Workplace culture is toxic, unbearable.Hardest part of my job pressuring people, because upper management likes people being pressured, unprofessional stylists, and dealing with extremely difficult customers.I wouldn't say any part of my job was enjoyable. If you want to take seriously your carrier, you go and work somewhere else.

Pros

They have provided business education

Cons

Long unpaid hours, horrible upper management, toxic culture

Great Team & Creative Company

I started at Rush 8 1/2 years ago, I came from a customer service background with no previous hairdressing experience. I started at the Rush Call centre and then over the last couple of years progressed to working with the project manager now I have the role of Operations Business Manager working along side the senior team, it's been amazing!I love having so much insight into the company and communicating with everyone in all areas of the company finance, marketing and i work along side the head of operations daily. I get to speak to the managers and stylists on a regular basis and love getting to know everyone and helping them with general day to day running of the salons.The team I work with are amazing and I look forward to every new project I get involved in.

Official response from RUSH Hair and Beauty

6 May 2021
Thank you so much for your lovely review.We are delighted to hear your feedback, we can't wait to work with you further during your career and wish you all the best possible success in your career with us.Best,RUSH Hair & Beauty Talent Team

Friendly and enjoyable workplace

I love my salon the staff are extremely friendly and fun to be around. It’s like one big family but I just earn money being there. I’m always being encouraged and guided to reach my full potential and there’s always new things to learn and to get involved with to elevate you in the business.

Pros

Free hair services

Do not recommend

Another typical corporate machine.Staff are just a number.Fast paced,unrealistic timings and targets. Terrible pay.No management support and left to fend for yourself. If I didn’t leave, I’d have lost all love for my chosen career field. I recommend smaller chains and independent salons.

Cons

Long hours, bad pay, unrealistic targets, short timings for clients

It was okay

It was okay as a starter job In beauty. Management was VERY poor and it’s competitive on another level. The girls steal your commission. Even then they make unrealistic targets. Very high turnover of staff

Pros

Discount on hair cuts

Cons

Long hours, no lunch break, massage for hours on end and poor management

Relaxed and fun workplace with great staff. Also the manager of the Strand and Legate branch is AMAZING

Customers are generally nice, relaxed environment meaning you can engage in conversation with clients and staff. I was lucky enough to work in branches where the stylists, FOH and manager were all amazing.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

no sitting down for hours on end

poor manadgment

This September they made redundant people during the pandemic period , and me too. Said don't have jobs now. Don't important how long u work or how you are good stylist. They do not know how to handle people who are not fake personality. And after this is all company start looking people again. Your position will never be safe there.

Pros

only good stuff in my salon

Cons

poor salary, poor manadgment

Toxic enviroment and management dont care

At first when i started i loved it, but soon as the weeks went passed i noticed how many people join and leave the rush community. I work for a really toxic narcissistic manager who literally has made everyone cry at least once. I have tried multiple times to talk to the higher boss to see if they deal with her (or at least notice the stupidly high turnover in staff) and realise that she is literally the reason everyone leaves. Its terrible to work in a place where you wonder " oh, what mood will she be in today" I enjoyed working for the company. I love all my colleagues that i worked with, but the manager is someone who should not be in charge. Everyone that is currently working with her, just want to resign (forget the fact that 3 resigned within a week space) Which is such a shame as we all got on so well as a team. They offer training (which is impossible to book) i managed to go on a few courses and was lead under the impression that it will be funded (as they fund the managers trips) but unfortunately not. You have to complete a week of vadering in london and it will be in peak time (so really expensive train fair) and you are supposed to work after the training days (forgetting the fact it takes more that 1.5 Hours to get back to the salon) Hours and pay was terrible. Dont get paid for overtime (god forbid the fact you mentioned 3 hours over and then have to return back to the shop in 8 hours time) never get lunch breaks (at first you are told you're allowed, but if you book it in you'll get an angry phone call from management)

Pros

clients are easy to build up

Cons

Long hours. No overtime paid. no lunch breaks. Endless tears and panic attacks

Awful Owners and Management

They have zero care for any staff. The owners have always put their own financial gain over anything else. Every salon is a revolving door for new management, stylists and FOH.

Pros

Some nice colleagues

Cons

Toxic environment, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RUSH Hair and Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement