Safer Places

Safer Places Employee Reviews

Dedicated staff, but the organisation is disorganised

The people you work with at Safer places, as well as helping clients, is by far the best part of the role. However, the organisation lets itself down in the way that it operates, leaving staff feeling overworked, unappreciated and underpaid. All the staff that I worked with are dedicated to helping clients, but because the company does not invest in the individual, the staff turnover is high as there are similar organisations around with a better workplace culture. Whilst updates are given by senior management on operational matters, they are often sporadic and can sometimes leave you feeling more confused.

Pros

1 hour lunch

Cons

Disorganised

Very stressful and not appreciated no matter what you do

I loved my job it was so satisfying but could not recommend working for this company as it doesn’t matter how much you do management will not recognise you. Typical day at work was in refuge which was brilliant. The hardest part of job was breaking up disputes, and working all hrs until late and then being questioned by management and told off and possibly not be paid because you had gone over your allocated hours. There was a 4 month period of no manager or guidance also managers were always leaving. Employment of people with no experience.

Cons

Lovely people and pleasant workplace

I learnt so much with Safer Places and met some amazing people. It was stressful at times, however overall I felt part of a team and had a good support network I loved my job and the people I worked along side, was very sad to have been made redundant and had to leave

Idva

Management was very very poor. Left without a manager for months You can voice your concerns, but it will never be listened to or put into action. However some staff are very supportive

As a Domestic Violence Professional I love working for Safer Places . It is hard work but very rewarding . Its great to work somewhere where you are encouraged to develop and use our skills and qualifications and to gain new ones . I have worked in this sector for a number of years and have never worked anywhere where I have felt so supported. The senior managers are very approachable and encourage staff to be involved in making changes that improve services . The Director of Operations is inspirational . The hardest part of the job is having to fight with mental health services to get the help some people need . A typical day is busy but enjoyable and there is a of work satisfaction and great team work .

unprofessional practices

this is an organisation that supports domestic abuse victims, however the way it treats its staff and clients is deplorable. I feel ashamed to work here at times

Supportive and friendly work environment

I feel supported in my role and feel like I am doing good work which is recognised by management. I have had opportunties to develop my practice and further my career. Although there has been some tuberlance due to change and restructures I feel a Safer Places has turned a chapter and that the management care about the clients and staff. Safer Places is a small charity who are trying to do big things in the world of DA and I am proud to be part of that.

Pros

Supportive management and colleagues; comparitively good pay; clinical supervision

Cons

Involves unsocialable hours

Disgrace

Please if you have a brain don't ever apply for a job here. You will be bullied if you are not liked by senior management. Clients are put in danger everyday. Safer Places say they pride themselves on supporting victims but cant even support there own staff. Staff are constantly off sick due to stress and anxiety.

Pros

nothing at all

Cons

everything

Supportive

I always feel supported by management and colleagues around me. I feel proud to work at Safer Places. If I ever have a problem in or outside of work I always know I will be supported - this has only been since my line manager has changed though.

Pros

Supportive Management/Colleagues

Supportive / good job satisfaction

As a current employee I am enjoying my role as a practitioner and have great job satisfaction. whilst going through a period of change management are keeping all staff up to date to ensure they are fully aware of the impact on the organisation. I have very supportive colleagues and a manager who is also supportive although at time difficult to contact due to their workload and attending conferences and presentations to providers.

Pros

Good support network

Cons

Not a 9-5 role

High turn over of staff, no support

Poor management, no job security, unqualified staff, long hours, no lunch breaks, high case load. No training is provided and you are left to get on with it. Management are only worried about themselves and disregard their staff members. Long hours without lunch breaks. You are expected to work weekends- every weekend as so short staffed. High case load of families to work with and told you have to cope. Staff are rude and if you are not in their group you are bullied.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no support

High Staff turn over low team morale

There is no consistency with managers, things change on a day to day basis depending who you talk to, You can not keep track of who works where because the staff turn over is so high. They recruit unqualified inexperienced staff and do not put adequate training and support in place. There are a number of individuals who are passionate and commited but the organisation does not give them the right motivation to thrive and progress.

Pros

1 hour lunch

Cons

working bank holidays

Dedicated Staff no policy and poor management structure

Safer Places has a lot of amazing and dedicated staff, the staff on ground are very helpful and do a great job however the policies are hard to find and out of date if they have them at all, managers at times are inexperienced operationally and therefore do not have the capacity to provide adequate support to operational staff. The model that they use and the training that they deliver is excellent, the Triple R for example is a great working model for group work. The J9 Training and concept is also very good.

Pros

1 hour lunch ( although unpaid)

Cons

Salary & Senior Management Support

productive workplace

Very good workplace in terms of focus on domestic abuse and ideas how to improve service but not enough employees to deliver service. Supportive colleagues.

Cons

working hours are not really flexible, its challenging for mums with small children

Complete Job satisfaction when working with clients

I loved working in the domestic abuse industry as an outreach worker Whilst difficult by the nature of the job also very rewarding Witnessing women move from life crisis to life balance was such a wonderful experience, I enjoyed meeting with clients and being able to help the out of dire situations to a place of safety. Then supporting them through the difficulties they had experienced as a family. sign posting and running support groups truly a rewarding experience Attending multi agency meetings to fight for their support and running programmes

Pros

job satisfaction

Cons

funding

Temporary position

Typically I see clients for 50 minutes each. Once the needs have been assessed we agree on a strategy plan and implementation. I've had the opportunity to practice my psychology skills in a real setting while empowering clients. I have a positive relationship with my colleagues. We work well both as a team by sharing tasks and support each other with shared workload and also as individuals when a fast requires high concentration. The most challenging part of my job is when I welcome a new client and start to gather further details of their current situation. Many of my clients have small children and I often need to sign posts them. The most rewarding part what I do is to see my clients progressing independently and see their sense of hope returning.

Pros

Great personal and professional experience

Cons

The distance I need to travel to get to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safer Places. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7