Sainburys
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Sainburys Job security & advancement reviews

I worked for sainsburys for 3 and a half years and simply left as I wanted to start a career. The company was nice to work for, at the time the pay was competitive. Sometimes management could be a little unprofessional but I’m sure that was more of a store issue than a company issue. It was enjoyable to work there, sometimes could be a little boring. Always opportunities for overtime but never pressured to take it on if you couldn’t. There isn’t much chance to progress anywhere which is a down side but it’s a nice little part time job or weekend job for someone.
Worked there for 5 years. I had the worst managers. I struggled with my mental health and one of the managers told me to just take some tablets and get over it. I was also told that they have been through worse thing in there life so I need to handle it better. I used to have panic attacks and they would still leave me on checkouts even when I was crying. You couldn’t tell the store manager about it’s because they was all best friends so nothing would of changed. When I was signed off for my mental health I was told that was my choice to be signed of and that I couldn’t do anything better and that Sainsbury’s was the best job to have. I have never met such horrible managers and they wondered why so many people left
Pros
When it was time to clock out
Cons
Managers and everything else to do with the job
I am working at Sainsbury's with a agency the staff there I find very nice and help full. But I am looking for something more permanent. You go in at the start of your shift you know what your job is so you are left to do it.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not bad hours
My role at Sainsburys was a new one due to management restructure and Sainsburys getting rid of individual team leaders to replace with 3/4 Night shift managers, not the teams fault as it was always very busy but I really didn’t know what I was doing 6 months into the job and mainly stacked shelves due to the workload being larger than the night shift team could handle each and every night. Being a mum of 2 I was assured at interview that it would be a four on four off role with great work life balance (it never was) and even at the end of my shift if there was still things to do (and I had a little flexibility but no more than 30 mins over due to sharing childcare duties with my partner and him needing to leave for work during the day) if I then had to go it wasn’t received well with other members of the management team. I knew the role would be challenging but I wasn’t quite expecting it to be what it was. Needless to say most of the management team I trained with left their individual stores within the first year of appointment. It’s a shame because I was made to feel very welcome by the management team in Bristol.
Pros
Most of the team were great to work with
Cons
No work life balance as promised
I travelled to Sainsbury in Luton on a a school day, bearing in mind im 17, I met the manager and after 15 minutes of trying to do the interview I got told that they don't have me on the system and I have to email someone. So I was at the bus stop, emailed that individual and they said that I had to go to some place within the store in order to do the interview when the manager said I should go. Total waste of time and unorganised.
Pros
nothing
Cons
a lot
Training very thorough at Sainsbury's starting with a 3 day induction but you have no choice but to attend as they withdraw the job offer. Frantic all the time. Never enough staff on all departments so can get chaotic.
I am so sad to be writing a review because that means I have left the job! Sainsbury's is and probably will always be my favourite job that I have worked so far. In total I worked there for around 2 years. I started within the online department doing early morning shifts and once I got into a good routine, the hours did not bother me. The department itself is the largest in the store and it was so much fun to work for. I picked up on the job really quickly and was consistently praised by my managers for doing a good job and meeting targets, I think this is really important because you feel good and complimented especially when part of such a huge department. There was always banter and jokes in the department, everyone got on really well. We even used to go to McDonalds for breakfast after a particularly busy shift! I have definitely made friends for life at Sainsbury's which is amazing. Management themselves were always approachable and friendly and whenever I needed help, they were always willing to do what they could. I was really grateful when I needed to change my contracted days as my university exams were coming up meaning I needed more time during the week to study, my manager said "Sure, what do you need?" and it was implemented the week after. I even got the chance to work at different stores in other counties as I was studying away from home so was able to still work and earn some money even when I was far away from my usual store in Devon. I eventually moved to convenience as the hours suited me better and the consistency with managers was excellent. I only - more...
kind and helpful staff, fair breaks and pay. I was only offered a temporary position due to hours available but they tried their best to keep me on. I gained a lot of experience in time management and quality of any work given.
I enjoyed my time working at Sainsbury's. Every day is a new learning experience and I was grateful to all the people I met along the way, both among the staff and customers.
Sainsburys is an excellent place to work, the pay is perfect on a standard ÂŁ9.20 ph which can increase, depending on your skills and achievements, Sainsburys allows you to enhance your skills and work in a team.
Good team pleasant surrounding with helpful staff for you to improve,offer a great service on online delivering uniform is supplied and as is all training
yes Sainsbury’s were a bad company to work for that’s by 100!people I know The job management were young and bad and I work so hard and yet nothing be cause I had no collage education
not much training on the tills whilst i was there, was hardly shown anything and had to figure most things out myself as some supervisors did not come straight away and came around 5-10 mins after I had called for them and the situation had already been sorted as well as hold some customers up
I left due to harassment from my department manager. I informed the store manager about it and felt belittled. The department manager kept threatening to sack me because I wasn’t going fast enough (worked in online shopping, shift started at 4:00am) made the work place stressful. Got told off when I eventually mentioned my depression which was hard to mention in the first place. Barely got praised which made me feel even more rubbish about myself.
Cons
I briefly worked for Sainsbury's. The interview was basic & I was told I was over qualified for the position but I chose the post as I liked working outdoors. I was soon employed as a checkout supervisor on self scan checkouts as well as my original post. The shop floor staff 'colleagues' were very friendly & I was made to feel very welcome. However, as I had previous retail management experience I noticed the lack of leadership & found myself making decisions & carrying out jobs that I should not have been doing. Unfortunately despite the company claiming they took abuse against their staff seriously, this was not the case. The company also has a draconian absence policy, so heaven forbid if you are genuinely ill.
I’ve worked for Sainsburys for 23 years second time around in the last 18 months they’ve changed thier pay structure and I’ve had a few health issues I feel it’s time to wind down at slower pace I’d still like to work in retail because that’s all I know
Broke my foot due to their fault and they refused to pay me. Management speak to staff like dirt. They pressure you to do over time. Horrible company to work for ended up with hurrendous anxiety.
Enjoyable work place and great workforce. Easily fit in and everyone is very polite when you first start and are very willing to help you. Benefits are good as when you work for three months you get discounts in Sainsbury’s and Argos
Job was ok i work 16 hours aweek and i found that was not to my likeing i wanted more from the company and thats why im leaving the company i was an online shopper and i replensh shelfs on some nights for overtime.
Was here on a week work experience through high school. I learned new skills and made some friends. Got the bus there and back every morning. I only done work experience for a week and found it interesting.
I really enjoyed working in Sainsbury’s thought the management was really good and the staff. Would love to work there again. Hope to apply again when a job is uploaded.
  1. Job Security & Advancement