Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
Happiness score is 36 out of 100

Working at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust: Latest Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews

Insights into Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Was wonderful, now too many chiefs and not enough staff.

I have worked here since I qualified in 2018. It was an excellent preceptorship as a new nurse and pre covid was a great place to work. Since covid and beyond it has changed. There are so few staff now that you do have to take on more and more patients past the recommended patient to nurse ratio, many of the lead nurses only care about beds and will not step in to help you and it is clear that you, as a nurse are not important. I have experienced not a great deal of support from management, and feel I need to look elsewhere for a job. This is a shame because it is an excellent hospital and was once an amazing place to work and I loved it. But too many chiefs have made it almost unbearable at times, and I have felt continuous anxiety about each shift. If they were able to recruit and retain a lot more staff and deal with the poor top level management I'm sure it would go back to being a wonderful workplace.

Great

Love my team. Great group and relaxed atmosphere. High quality patient care delivered and have supported me through numerous life events. Can only speak for my department.

Pros

Flexible

Understaffed and Underfunded

Spent most of my time working by myself. Cliques within the team which was always uncomfortable. Alot of staff jealousy if you finished at 3pm and wasnt contracted for late shifts.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Cliques, Shortstaffed

Not a bad place to work

Everyone was friendly and great to work with, you may also make some life long friends along the way. Always make yourself busy as there is always plenty to do

Pros

NHS Staff discounts

Cons

Worst place i have ever worked in the NHS

Management awful. Couldnt organise anything if they tried. They lie. They have favourites. They sit on things for days then blame their staff. They are not supportive and there is no training for staff when you start, they dont know what they're doing so obviously how are they supposed to teach you?!!

Pros

Pay ok and leave ok

Cons

Management dont support or manage in any way, shape or form.

Smoke and mirrors

Its great that the trust has amalgamated very profitably but this actually means that there is no one person properly managing a given area. For example the 'excellent, award winning" preceptorship is absolutely non existent, there definitely is a toxic culture as so many have previously mentioned. So many of my friends have gone to work at different trusts and have felt so much relief and they are much happier so I will be doing the same. Bye NCA but I won't miss you especially your nurse managers band 6s and 7s who have had no proper HR training and hate anyone with a mental illness.

Pros

Cons

Toxic, no breaks, unpaid overtime etc etc

Great Hospital to work at.

Loved working here. It's a great hospital to work at. Made great friends. Like any establishment, there are always times when it is short staffed, but if you work in a great team, you can cope with that.

Pros

Majority of things

Cons

Location. Just too far from home.

Bullies domestic manager

Don’t work for this bad company manager and supervisors are buillies very hard work they don’t care about your health especially mental health please be very careful

Pros

Hours ok

Cons

Poor

Plumber

unfortunately for the work undertaken on a daily basis the wage is far to low. When the pay was mentioned to management and team leader of the plumbers they would try to belittle the job role and the plumbers responsibility’s as not worthy of a higher wage. The managers and team leaders of the plumbing department under value and vastly under appreciate the role of the plumbers within the hospital

proactive friendly

everyone in the work place was very kind and friendly and everyone gets on really well . the staff made me feel very welcomed and made me feel a lot less nerves than what i was

Bullying managers

Childrens services Some managers are yes people who do anything to progress themselves Culture of bullying Unsupportive of reported bullying issues Experience not valued Roles changed without consultation

Toxic Environment

Environment on Critical Care is toxic. Senior nurses like to humiliate you in front of other staff. The team of (8 or 9) Matrons have no continuity in management style and treat people very differently according to popularity. They also like to manipulate their off duty to allow themselves and each other to pick up the highly sought after NHSP shifts at weekends. Certain matrons are bullies and are allowed to get away with behaviour because senior managers are frightened to do anything about it. It is a problem which has been going for a long time !!! Working on CCU at SRFT is just a popularity contest in my eyes and one I am relieved to be out of.

Poor hospital to work for the line managers are bullies in certain areas of the hospital would not recommend srft to work for your face has to fit poor

They like yes people. They want people to ignore the fact they are understaffed and just do the job at hand. The patients are not the main focus the paperwork is. Such a shame as the place used to be a nice place to work now it’s run a as business and money making scheme. It’s sad really. Too many management and not enough front line staff.

Calming and inviting workplace

I volunteered with St Georges Day Centre for a placement alongside my university degree, and found a welcoming home in Aspire Support and NHS Salford Royal Hospital services. They were very accommodating and kind staff with great intentions and professional execution of creative projects.

EAU- Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Excellent place to be a patient, horrible place to be an employee. Worked on EAU with a lot of cliquey seniors who loved nothing more than to belittle and scream at their own workers in front of other colleagues and patients in the bays. Sabotaging confidence and self-esteem soon became the ‘norm’ and you wonder why you have such a high staff turnover? Leaving SRFT has been the best career move I ever made.

n/a

Not any better than other hospitals so not sure why it's CQC outstanding. I think it provides good triaining in orthopaedics and neurosurgery and GIT

I highly advise against it.

Poor life-work balance, no management on site, left to fend for self, laws broken, and that's just what springs to mind. No respect for the inner working of the NHS. Left with depression and a broken confidence that still hasn't mended itself.

Miserable place to work, flexible hours and home working keep staff

Very poor working environment that has got worse over last couple of years. Management heavy handed and show lack of awareness. High levels of stress and sickness and referrals to occupational health - it is a known issue. Staff are not treated like adults and are heavily monitored and watched. Senior management not aware of departments needs, there has been a heavy handed approach to get the job done which has led to high levels of staff sickness and poor mental health. HR support for employees is extremely poor. There is a culture of bullying at the trust and where senior managers feel like they can act as they wish. This is recognised as a problem by the unions who are trying to tackle this. The job is always busy trying to meet the deadline. There is no down time. If you like to be busy from the moment you get in until you finish and can work under constant pressure and have the stamina, then this could be the jobl for you.

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Not enough staff, high levels of sickness

Its a very busy lab

Busy lab with large volume of samples. well equipped but always short of staff. Not flexible with staff. low morale. If they dont like you then that is the end but if you are their favourite then you get what you want. They have all latest technology related for pathology diagnosis

Pros

Nhs

Cons

not flexible

Always busy.

You started the day running and kept on running all day. Both departments I worked for were busy; we were a very large hospital. I learned to think more on my feet and took a lot of initiative because not everyday was the same and you could be surprised at an time with an emergency to make sure the patients had their records up to date especially if they are rushed in at any given moment. The workplace culture was that everything had to be precise because a patients life no matter how trivial was important to each and every member of staff whether they be a domestic up through the ranks to the consults. Management when I started was helpful, new what was going on down the ranks and looked after the staff. But things have changed considerably over the past few years. Now there are too many managers and a lot of these mangers have made people jump ship. The hardest part of the job was leaving the hospital the job it self was rewarding, I may not be medically trained but the non-medical side of the staff still did there bit for the patients to recover from what ever ailed them. The most enjoyable part was when we had camaraderie amongst the different levels of medical and non-medical staff. And I mustn't forget the patients when everything works out well for them that was a good feeling but with this being a hospital not everything ended on a high.

Pros

Good holidays.

Cons

Some times we went over our allotted hours with no overtime pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement