Sally Salon Services

Sally Salon Services Employee Reviews

The management have always promised lots of training and advancement but it's very difficult to get them to follow through. The management based in the offices have no idea what actually works well on the warehouse floor and make decisions without speaking to those it will affect
Pros
Ok for someone not interested in training or advancement
Cons
Poor management
Messed around by bad managersHR department a jokeSupervisors cluelessI don’t recommend anyone to work hereA soul destroying place to work for for!The only plus side is the guys on the warehouse floors are a great bunch
Cons
What is asked of you is a lot considering the pay. It’s not a job that you can just turn up and do and then go home and can be stressful. The company will have ridiculously small timescales to get big jobs done like store moves. Customer services always undermine shop staff by letting customers have a refund on items that should not be allowed. Incentives set by the company were very unfair in regards to store staff- managers used to win whatever the prize was, once it was an iPad when the store staff worked their socks off to win.
Pros
A good way to get into the hair/beauty industry
Cons
Under appreciated by the company
Terrible company to work for, have to work all hours and do all jobs under staffed and are expected to do a managers job with no training. Over worked and underpaid
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no social life, over worked, under trained
busy place to work different every day trade and public customers hard work lunch breaks take whenever possible in the day overtime given often good team work in stores
Management clueless non existent training senior operative a lazy sod scared of breaking a fingernail and hardly any English spoken there you need a polish phrase book if you want to get on there
Very racist about your background, loads of lone working with them still deducting your lunch break,to much responsibly for little pay, expect to do the managers jobs whilst they sit on the backsides, customers and other sales assistances great love them shame managers and HR don't give u the time off day, NO well done with this comany just you need to do better notunacceptable
Bad management and clueless supervisors. Training and health and safety is non existent. The managers are way to busy preparing festive activities, the place is a disgrace to the warehouse industry.
Alright people to work with and the actual work is rather decent however management is appalling full of false promises in order to get you grafting and notorious for messing people around .
I have been working as a sales assistant at Sally's for 6 weeks. I have worked for many companies and this is by far the most shocking...My manager regularly talks down to me . They work you like a DOG, this is basically warehouse work. 10 hour shifts with 30 min break...Having to hound customers with selling them things! Loan working. I genuinely cry before aand sometimes during work! If I could leave this job I would. Trust me, avoid this company! I wish I listened to all of these revoews but I was desperate.
The management requires improvement, she is not a people person, unable to communicate effectively at times. There is lots of pressure to upsell which customers don't appreciate. The store itself is shabby and requires alot of improvement, very dull and dated. Security is a shambles, often lone working and not just on Sundays, this is unnacceptable due to the location of the store.
As a long time employee, I can honestly say that this company cares about one thing only: how much money it takes. Fair enough, it's a business, they all do. However, I have never experienced this anywhere else I have worked to this extreme. Upper management have got serious ego issues and think they can talk to us mere sales assistants however they choose. There has been a seriously high staff turnover of late and the atmosphere is depressing as anything. Staff discount is quite frankly an insult to all the hard work we put in, yet it still has not been increased. You are expected to do a very large amount of lone working, which makes you feel anxious and unsafe. No security cameras in the store I work in either. The place is in severe need of a refit. The toilet and kitchen are absolutely disgusting, yet the company will not improve these conditions. The list of problems with this company could go on forever.
This company is an absolute shambles..full of supervisors that quite clearly don’t know what they’re doing, you can tell they’ve never worked in a management position before from their unprofessional attitudes and the way they like to victimise and bully people below them, I think it helps them get through their boring lazy days at work, bless!! Job security is great if you manage to stay longer than your 6 month probation as they constantly threaten to sack you, so best of luck if you’re thinking of working for this company, especially if you’ve got a family to support, it really isn’t worth the stress! Break times are decent...Just make sure you don’t have a single minute over it as the supervisors and team leaders time your every second from the moment you log out of the system! Overall this place is full of empty promises and disappointments I would stay well clear!
The Company culture is to treat the staff like garbage and talk down to them. There are no Company prospects and all you do is clean and sweep and empty nasty rubbish bags you are treated like a cleaner. Everyone is miserable and keep their heads down. There are mice running everywhere in the staff room etc. And you are eating your lunch with mice droppings. So you could catch a disease. You would think that such a high profile company would deal with that problem too as a health and safety issue. I am seriously thinking about handing in my notice as I cannot take anymore. We use to have a nice manager but he left. Now we have one that is unpleasant, intimidating and downright rude. This is the weirdest company I have ever worked for. There is a culture of reporting and spying on people to tell the management. It is a joke. For now I need the money to send home otherwise I would leave tomorrow. Everyone that is nice has since left.
Pros
None.
Cons
Mice droppings everywhere, I hour unpaid lunch and working over 30 hours with no other breaks in between.
I was given little notice that my contract was not going to be renewed, in addition to this, they were annoyed when my doctor wrote me off of work due to my mental health issues, my previous experience in work was a supportive environment who at least tried to understand and accept that I may have to take one or two weeks of now and again but with Sallys there was none of that. Also I was pretty much left on my own, My desk was completely separated from others within the same department and when I brought it up I was told to just get on with it. I felt very segregated and unwanted while I was working here and to be completely honest I'm glad I'm out of there! One more thing that I noticed while working here was that the staff did not have the best attitude towards LGBTQ+ individuals (like myself), when asked about my partner my colleagues seemed, in absence of a better word, disgusted when I gave them my answer. Also, when on my 30 minuet lunch break,I was timed to the second, if I was late back I would be in trouble, so I basically only got a 25 minute break to make sure that others wouldn't complain. (Note: My colleagues would end up taking 45 minute - 1 hour breaks and not be penalised for it!) Honestly this was one of the worst working experiences in my life so far, I'm just hoping that the next job I get is better that this place. Would definitely not recommend working here!
Pros
I have no idea what could be put here
Cons
Long commute from public transport, very segregated office, etc.
You only get paid for the times your supposed to start and finish, if your on a open or close or both you will work anything between 15 and 45 mins after your shift, which you never get paid for. Systems always going down so caused so many problems instore for you. The job itself is good and easy enough, the management however is a disgrace. Bare minimum training given no where near enough and some of the managers have no idea of their job roles and responsabilitys. Changing shifts without letting you no or even asking if the new shift is okay. They never rota enough staff in for each shift normally you and the manager who is never on the shop floor. When you have a shop full of customers, orders to make, phone rimging none stop this still doesnt prompt them to come and help you. You can not have a life around this job as it is so shockingly run nothing goes to plan, and nothings ever on time. Last but not least they take advantage if your a car driver - deliverys, banking run, collecting stock from other stores etc, all which you dont get paid for. They lost me as a long standing member of staff and soon to loose another 2... just from 1 store. Says it all really. SHAMBLES
Pros
Wage and nothing else.
Cons
Everything bar the wage!
Unrealistic expectations from upper management, joke of a staff discount, very serious security issues, dont want to invest in their staff, poor salary.
Pros
Cons
Poor staff discount, low salary, security issues
I'm a current SM and have been promoted. I have to say the people around me are amazing. Given the opportunity if you prove yourself. The pay is good.
Pros
Company has improved since starting 3 years ago, great team, no time wasters
Cons
A lot of responsibilities as a SM, long hours.
Okay, so.. my store manager (who has now left) and the staff I worked with daily were lovely people and great to work along side with I had no issues whatsoever with them they made my time there welcoming and fun. The hours were fine, pay fine but the responsibilities were ridiculous for a store assistant. You were basically expected to do a managers role a lot of the time. Opening and closing up, cashing up that took AGES because it’s so complicated it actually had me in tears one weekend when I was left alone! Lone working all weekend is another con you couldn’t just do one day, it had to be both days. Salon visits (where you didn’t even get offered petrol money for using your own car!) I was made to do salon visits explaining where I was from, and what we had to offer ON MY SECOND DAY... ALONE!!! Not fair at all because I didn’t have a clue. There’s this book every week called “in touch weekly” for the staff which is full of info you’re expected to somehow remember (deals, products, targets all sorts) The job is target/sales based for sure which wasn’t mentioned to me in the interview and it’s unfair because you’re seriously pushed and if you don’t have it in you (like I didn’t because I find asking people if they’re interested in something and pushing it on them extremely awkward) you will feel really pressurised. The head manager his name I will not say but I can’t say I liked him, if I could swear on here the word would rhyme with anchor. He was horrible to my store manager. He purs too much pressure on staff, rings up on the spot asking daft questions - more...
Pros
Good discount
Cons
A lot.
Working for the company gave me great experience in sales and merchandising which was my most enjoyable part of this job. I also travelled around Devon & Cornwall promoting the business in salons and colleges signing up new trade card holders and discussing new products and courses on offer. I sometimes felt there was not enough structure with the running of the store which could sometimes be frustrating, but finding solutions and working around it was challenging and satisfying.There was more opportunity for training which was not prioritised. The hardest part of the job was learning all the changes regarding the computerised tills and office work, as it changed on a monthly basis sometimes even weekly. Overall a great place to work
Pros
Working with some great people
Cons
not willing to adapt to help with childcare issues
After working as a Store Manager for the company for several years it all finally became too much. A take take take culture which has got worse over the last year. No support whatsoever. Unachievable, impossible targets. They just do not seem to get or acknowledge the fact that retail is dying and want more and more.... make the customers buy/spend more. You cannot drag people into the stores even with all the will in the world. You cannot make them spend what they don’t have but that is what is expected of you as a manager. Lots of tasking, office time sending and reading reports, explaining why you are doing so well. Explaining why you aren’t and what you are going to do about it. You have to be super tough to cope with all that is thrown at you and develop the skin or an Elephant and a heart of stone as far as good customer service goes.... we all know retail is to get the money in the tills but not to the point of scaring the customers away and tasking the Managers and teams to deliver the impossible, with small teams and hours to run the store on.
Pros
Cistomers, team in store
Cons
No support. Do not listen to Store Managers or Teams